What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
Josh Curran's release from the Warriors is gathering momentum.
I've had him in my fantasy coach squad for a while as he's a solid performer.
Unfortunately he injured his knee and when he returned he was only given small minutes off the bench to give Harris a break.
At the right price I would say yes and Blore might want to be up for a trade.
I'd rather keep Blore but if he isn't in Benji's plans and the Olam trade doesn't go ahead then Curran trade might be ok??

BrotherJim05

Bench
I rate Curran pretty highly. I think he's got a lot of upside and is still young/unknown enough to sign on a decent contract. I think Lock is his better position and would fit nicely in rotation with Pole.

There is a lot of noise about the Olam / Blore swap as well. I think getting both Olam and Curran on for next year (+ Sezer / Fainu) makes us a much much stronger side.

https://www.smh.com.au/sport/nrl/tigers-winger-faces-jail-for-role-in-robbery-20231024-p5eejz.html

So we have Fainaus younger brother who should be behind bars for his driving records, and two former lower graders more then likely going to gaol for allegedly committing serious offences. I know we want success but you also don't want to sign shit bags In order to get success.
It's usually News Corp that get it all so wrong but really, why was the above in the sports section and not in the crime news?
Why did it lead off with Tigers winger? I'm not even sure he was at the Tigers in 2023 .

Journalism and print media editors should all go back to school.

Nutz

Bench
I rate Curran pretty highly. I think he's got a lot of upside and is still young/unknown enough to sign on a decent contract. I think Lock is his better position and would fit nicely in rotation with Pole.

There is a lot of noise about the Olam / Blore swap as well. I think getting both Olam and Curran on for next year (+ Sezer / Fainu) makes us a much much stronger side.
Well it seems....
*Curran signing a multi year contract with the dogs.
* JAC swap with Matteson at Eels
* Papenhuyzen out to prove Storm wrong as he plans to be firing for rd1. The guy is young but injuries are a concern. The jury is out whether we hold onto Blore or look to swap him for Papenhuyzen

Tigerm

First Grade

The Sydney Morning Herald reported that the Eels would be interested in signing Addo-Carr “but only if Canterbury agree to an immediate move”.

Newscorp reported that the Eels could be willing to part with forward Ryan Matterson as a potential player swap, reporting the parties have had “informal talks”.

I didn’t realise Parra hated the Dogs that much?

BrotherJim05

Bench
Absolutely no way should we even entertain the idea of signing Papenhuyzen. Bula is a genuine superstar in the making and we must persist with his development. Staines is a capable backup at fullback.

Signing the most injury prone fullback in the NRL when we have one of the hottest young guns coming through is so ridiculous even WT wouldn't do it.

Centre, and maybe a genuine lock, are the only positions we should be looking at for 2023 season

Nutz

Bench
Absolutely no way should we even entertain the idea of signing Papenhuyzen. Bula is a genuine superstar in the making and we must persist with his development. Staines is a capable backup at fullback.

Signing the most injury prone fullback in the NRL when we have one of the hottest young guns coming through is so ridiculous even WT wouldn't do it.

Centre, and maybe a genuine lock, are the only positions we should be looking at for 2023 season
Papenhuyzen last injury wasn't a reoccurrence of the knee cap which could have happened to anyone and the other one was an ankle injury that could happen to anyone. It's not like it was a total knee reco.
Apparently, according to Bellamy he's not injury prone. Look at all the games he's played and starred in and as a constant target.
A fully fit Papenhuyzen is one of the best backs in the world.
He can play any position in the backline and has Staines resigned?
Anyway I haven't seen or heard that the WT are chasing him so I wouldn't panic brother.

Fordy20

Juniors

Definitely agree signing Papenhuyzen would be a backwards step.

I reckon once Staines is re-signed, our recruitment is done for the year and even if he isn’t re-resigned, Nofa played a fair bit of fullback in juniors, so he could should be able to slot in if Bula is injured. For centre, we’ve got To’a and Reilly, plus a bunch of journeymen who can fill in too.

I don’t see any point going to market for a centre unless the player is the calibre of Crichton, Best, Lomax, Manu or Staggs. Even this mooted Blore swap is highly questionable.

Nutz

Bench
Definitely agree signing Papenhuyzen would be a backwards step.

I reckon once Staines is re-signed, our recruitment is done for the year and even if he isn’t re-resigned, Nofa played a fair bit of fullback in juniors, so he could should be able to slot in if Bula is injured. For centre, we’ve got To’a and Reilly, plus a bunch of journeymen who can fill in too.

I don’t see any point going to market for a centre unless the player is the calibre of Crichton, Best, Lomax, Manu or Staggs. Even this mooted Blore swap is highly questionable.
Your post seems to be following the trend of the wests tigers recruitment, no urgency.
We have by far the worst backline in the comp for the last two years at least and it's not filled with NRL std players, rather KOE std players. I fear Benji will have a spoon to go with his first attempt at coaching if we keep going like this.
T'oa and Bula are the only 2 that would be taken by a few few clubs, the rest including an aging Noffa....I don't think so.
We need backs that are consistently playing week in week out at the right std and not good one week and pathetic the next 3.
Put Papenhuyzen aside, if we don't fix this we will be at the bottom of the table till we do. If people can't see that then they are delusional.

gordsy

Juniors
Your post seems to be following the trend of the wests tigers recruitment, no urgency.
We have by far the worst backline in the comp for the last two years at least and it's not filled with NRL std players, rather KOE std players. I fear Benji will have a spoon to go with his first attempt at coaching if we keep going like this.
T'oa and Bula are the only 2 that would be taken by a few few clubs, the rest including an aging Noffa....I don't think so.
We need backs that are consistently playing week in week out at the right std and not good one week and pathetic the next 3.
Put Papenhuyzen aside, if we don't fix this we will be at the bottom of the table till we do. If people can't see that then they are delusional.
If the halves we go with next year are no better then what we had this year will spending 800k on Best be liking putting e10 in sports car ?

Last edited:
I hope the review will reveal exactly who's idea it was to appoint Sheens, or at least who spearheaded it (outside of Sheens himself). Whoever that person, or people are, they need to be sacked.

Well I think he was appointed in June of 2021 to take up the performance role.

I think it was in response to a bad start by Madge in that year and concerns he was struggling. Madge continued to struggle.

Ciraldo was clear that he wouldn’t take the role from a sitting coach in 2022 so we sacked Madge and ciraldo said no anyway.

Then after being in put in charge of the coaching Applications, Tim appoints himself and then Benji who he is supposed to groom.

Tims wife gets a job too. Very kind of us.

Tim is coaching us from September 2022 than on/about August this year is “knifed”
as coach and then binned in the performance role.

We pay him out a cool $1m and he won’t be doing anything for us. Easiest money ever made.

The board is responsible for signing the coach. Those that voted in favour of him are to blame.

Now by April this year, the team is really struggling and a lot of it “own goals”

The blame is with the players, so Pascoe is sent to sound out Fulton. This means Tim and his mate won’t have the full run of the recruitment regime.

They don’t tell Tim because by this time, the winds of change have gone gale force.

Tim is punted in August with the spoon all but secured.

Only a few relics are left of this terrible and Ill conceived campaign.

Hopefully the review will slash and burn all of its directors on our board and find people who are competent.

We are a shell company thing, fans and members have no say in our affairs. It’s an appalling and unaccountable structure. We’ve hit a period of idiots in control.

That said, this review is a good idea, but only if it results in something positive.

If Lee and the board remain unchanged, we will simply get the bad decision makers continuing on.

A review of this intense nature is rare. 2000 people approached etc. it doesn’t seem to be a Gus Gould type forgone conclusion (SGI).

The up line decision makers who control us realise we are in very bad trouble.

I think they want to fix it. It’s an expensive and complex task to undertake for a pat on the back.

This is a guess of course.

I’ve spent some time summarising the main points. If Benji gets done, that’s another nasty payout.

With respect to Benji, he’s taken the reigns at a bad time. He’s got enormous pressure on him.

If proves me wrong, that’s fine. I have nothing personal against him, I just think there are better choices out there.

One of them is assisting Benji which is handy.

This club never ceases to amaze me for its knife edge situation. We always find a way to make things hard and difficult!

Anyway, I’m still here. Hanging on by a fingernail.

This is because I back our players and us fans. In its current guise, I hold the club in utter contempt and derision.

Times are a changing I think. We might jag some progress, a long shot, remote, but let’s see.

Last edited:

Latest posts