What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Fordy20

Juniors
We are a shell company thing, fans and members have no say in our affairs. It’s an appalling and unaccountable structure.

This is the core of the issue. As fans, we don’t have a say. Members conduct business during meetings like electing leaders, proposing and voting on motions. We don’t do anything like that. The whole joint venture project was just privatisation by stealth.

Privatisation is not always a bad thing. Souths improved immeasurably after Rusty took over. People can tolerate privatisation if it leads to success, but we’ve been starved of that for over a decade.

The review needs to lead to constitutional change that permanently puts an end to the pokie den barons calling the shots and instead replaces it with the Parramatta structure.

Independent directors need to face a rigorous selection process to determine their competence, not just have them appointed by their mates. Other directors need to be directly elected by fans who actual give a shit about success on the field, not appointed from a small cabal of people who were voted in to run a pokie den.

This is the core of the issue. As fans, we don’t have a say. Members conduct business during meetings like electing leaders, proposing and voting on motions. We don’t do anything like that. The whole joint venture project was just privatisation by stealth.

Privatisation is not always a bad thing. Souths improved immeasurably after Rusty took over. People can tolerate privatisation if it leads to success, but we’ve been starved of that for over a decade.

The review needs to lead to constitutional change that permanently puts an end to the pokie den barons calling the shots and instead replaces it with the Parramatta structure.

Independent directors need to face a rigorous selection process to determine their competence, not just have them appointed by their mates. Other directors need to be directly elected by fans who actual give a shit about success on the field, not appointed from a small cabal of people who were voted in to run a pokie den.

Yes it’s an opportunity to deliver a board that has a closer proximity to consumers (us).

Companies spend a lot of money on engaging their consumers, getting their feedback and implementing changes to keep them engaged.

I heard we actually got rid of our one lonely member representative.

As for competence testing, I recall 90% of us ugly lot condemning the Tim appointment and we were proven correct over the careful considerations and expertise of the board “experts.”

I’ve heard almost all the members so approached are pushing the review for fan and member representation.

We will see how they fare.

If there’s no meaningful change and the “rule from above by our betters” continues, the consumer engagement will continue to decline and the little good will left during losing cycles will be exhausted.

Rusty’s south’s model was careful to keep the logo and stuff in the member’s hands. So there is a mutual reliance of sorts.

We just get a thrashing by a stick when we speak out.

We are unfair to Brooksy, ungrateful for Lees leadership etc.

Anyway, don’t get me amped up!

I will say that the annual club post season spin and “bears on barrels” promises and warrantees seems decidedly muted so far this year.

The civil war is achieving some good.

So Amen.

75% off membership should be offered as a minimum for 2024.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Exactly! No sports cars until the halves prove they can get the cars already in the shed out the driveway and onto the open road.
Let's give up on next year then.
Weve just signed Jayden Sullivan and Latu Fainu on crazy mammoth deaths and throw in Aidan Sezer as well. If we stand around with our hands in our pockets I'm afraid we'll be waiting a long time for success. Maybe another 4+ years and another team rebuild and a coach (if he's not punted before hand and we waste more $ on payouts)

Let's not ruin these guys like we did with Noddy by throwing them under the bus and expect them to perform miracles with a crap backline, then bag them till they bleed for underperforming like we did with Brooks. (Granted that it was time for him to go)

We've got good forwards (garage), got reasonable mechanics (halves), now let's give them a decent car to drive.
Top teams don't wait. Even the dogs who I hate don't sit around. They demand excellence. JAC isn't safe nor is Sorm's Papenhuyzen. If they have a problem or smell a rat they act. You might say, how well have they been going? Well at least they don't die wondering.
I would be throwing as much money left in the bank at players like Best and co. If down the track there are underperformers then get rid of them. As with Brooks, time for loyalty and fairytales for poor form shouldn't be tolerated. Bye bye, don't wait.
Even I was prepared to let go of my heroes Twal and Seyfarth if we could upgrade.
All these KOE cup hopefuls are not NRL players, not yet.
Our centre hopefuls of Reilly and Feledy are not up to it atm.
Asu Kepaoa is one of the worst defenders and attackers..too inconsistent.
AD..who knows what's happening with him, but if he does come back he'll be targeted because he doesn't pass and can't defend his line.
Brandon Wakeham...Mr Rollerskates, Brent Naden.. who's he?
David Nofoaluma..pensioner,
Junior Tupou showing promise but wouldn't make a top team atm for inconsistancies, drop balls and bad decisions.
Will Smith and Tommy Talau..bye bye. What pretenders have I missed?
There are a lot of cars not worth the petrol.

Recruitment and Retention is a tricky business.

Because we are on the bottom of the ladder, I’m more inclined to chance the arm, but nothing makes sense unless we can compare and contrast players, factor in price, combinations, fitness, all kinds of variables.

There are only a few players such as an Api that are really safe bets.

gordsy

Juniors
Our whole back line is shit apart from Bula so signing best on massive overs won't make the striking difference we all hope imo. Also we have missed out of a few decent signings recently in Curran and Keppie. Maybe start with mid level guys we might be able to sign and sign three rather then trying to hit home runs all the time.

Fordy20

Juniors
I would be throwing as much money left in the bank at players like Best and co.

You know that although Best is off contract now, he still has a year of football ahead of him at the Knights?

These are the outside backs currently unsigned and available next year:

Grant Anderson, Waqa Blake, Braidon Burns, Brendan Elliot, Patrick Herbert, Matt Ikuvalu, Thomas Jenkins, Tautau Moga, Gehamat Shibasaki, Billy Smith, Jenson Taumoepeau

Corey Allan, Declan Casey, Trai Fuller, Bailey Hodgson, Terrell Kalo Kalo, Will Smith

Hymel Hunt, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Samuel Loizou, Jordan Pereira, Charlie Staines, Setu Tu

For mine, none of these blokes are a significant upgrade on who we have on the books, but me, which ones would you be throwing the bank so it wouldn't feel like we were giving up on next year?

Nutz

Bench
Well starting with who we have got I'd be I'd picking Staines over Asu Kepaoa.
Make official offers on Nov 1 for 800k there is a chance clubs will grant a releases to ease their cap pressure or players like Best will make a move.
I'd be targeting clubs that are in a squeeze, like Brisbane. Kotoni Staggs I'd be targeting too, surely Brisbane will display cracks to keep all their star studded backline.
The salary cap may increase in 2025 so 800k may not be a prob for us now is we offer big, get in early with aggressive recruitment and put pressure on other clubs to retain their stars, thats what other do.
The issue is we have not gone hard enough or often enough imo after we secured Api, Papa, Johnny and it's going to bite us. We tried for Storm's Munster and I was cheering, now storm has to pay for him, no damage done to us for trying. Now we have a go at Olam for 2 years to fill the gap till pathways come good. He's better than some if our muppets.
They were, imo, placing too much on the shoulders of Feledy and Reilly but as I said they're not ready nor at NRL standard.
I hope I'm wrong but I've been right in my assessments for years....mainly because it's bloody obvious to blind freddy where the clubs failing in recruitment.
We have not shown enough urgency in the past and we tend to hold on for dear life expecting miracles from lemons.

Last edited:
You know that although Best is off contract now, he still has a year of football ahead of him at the Knights?

These are the outside backs currently unsigned and available next year:

Grant Anderson, Waqa Blake, Braidon Burns, Brendan Elliot, Patrick Herbert, Matt Ikuvalu, Thomas Jenkins, Tautau Moga, Gehamat Shibasaki, Billy Smith, Jenson Taumoepeau

Corey Allan, Declan Casey, Trai Fuller, Bailey Hodgson, Terrell Kalo Kalo, Will Smith

Hymel Hunt, Dean Ieremia, George Jennings, Samuel Loizou, Jordan Pereira, Charlie Staines, Setu Tu

For mine, none of these blokes are a significant upgrade on who we have on the books, but me, which ones would you be throwing the bank so it wouldn't feel like we were giving up on next year?

Herbert?

Nutz

Bench
I still reckon Papenhuyzen doubters are wrong. The guy is a superstar...but I'm Nutz I guess.

Nutz

Bench
Joseph Manu and Jordan Riki are our new centre pairing for 2024 after being granted early releases... dreamer, silly little dreamer.

Nutz

Bench
Yep, Olam for me.
My head hurts, I'm too old to scrutinize and make sense of it all.
One day I'll wake up, preferably not in hospital, and watch the tigers methodically pull to pieces teams like the Roosters, Parra, Dogs, Storm...ah stuff it, anyone who finished above us on the table the last 2 years.

Tigerm

Coach
My head hurts, I'm too old to scrutinize and make sense of it all.
One day I'll wake up, preferably not in hospital, and watch the tigers methodically pull to pieces teams like the Roosters, Parra, Dogs, Storm...ah stuff it, anyone who finished above us on the table the last 2 years.
Cheer up mate, we’d be one of the few teams who can claim that the panthers are our bitches, these last few years hahaha