What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
The dogs are culling so Luai thingy seems to be their focus to partner him with ex teammate Burton.
I've been going over a lot of footage last night and this morning and surmised that Sezer is in fact very similar to Nathan Cleary.
So I'm confident the Sezer and Luai cobo would be a good.
If by some miracle we snare Luai, what is the plan for the other two signings.
Sullivan wouldn't play centre so maybe he and Fainu would pair up in KOE as a rehearsal.
When Sezer is done then Sullivan steps up.
If Luai and Sullivan is a huge success then our huge investment in Fainu is wasted.
I'm glad I'm not in charge of the salary cap.

Tigerm

First Grade
The dogs are culling so Luai thingy seems to be their focus to partner him with ex teammate Burton.
I've been going over a lot of footage last night and this morning and surmised that Sezer is in fact very similar to Nathan Cleary.
So I'm confident the Sezer and Luai cobo would be a good.
If by some miracle we snare Luai, what is the plan for the other two signings.
Sullivan wouldn't play centre so maybe he and Fainu would pair up in KOE as a rehearsal.
When Sezer is done then Sullivan steps up.
If Luai and Sullivan is a huge success then our huge investment in Fainu is wasted.
I'm glad I'm not in charge of the salary cap.
But you gotta have depth and think of the future, I don’t believe you can have too many, as not everyone will see the distance.

Nutz

Bench
But you gotta have depth and think of the future, I don’t believe you can have too many, as not everyone will see the distance.
Yepm I can see the logic in that.
The quandary is....are any of these halves including Luai capable of getting us into the finals with the current squad of backs?
If we stay the same for the next year or so waiting for Feledy and Triston Reilly to come good I believe it's going to be tough. I know you like Reilly but I'm not sold.... not yet anyway.
His strengths are positional plays and support and he beats opposition with sustained speed running, not electric off the mark.
We need someone better like a Walsh. Someone who jinks and has change-ups and sidesteps. If we had one of these type of players then Triston and Josh would be a good support player and it would help Bula as well.
A good compromise atm would be to get someone like Solomon Alaimalo who wouldn't break the bank.
You guys know I'm a big fan of Manu and I'd love him to come to us for 2 years with a further 1 year mutual offer. Saints are offering $1m+ over 4 years and that's too long. The guy is getting older and picking up some injuries so I'd rather a short impact stint where he could help develop players like Reilly and Feledy. He would be looking for a longer contract though and I don't want to wait.
Bradman Best would make a good partner for To'a.
So here is a fantasy...
Bula
Charlie Staines/Noffa
Junior Topou
Solomon Alaimalo/Best
Starford To'a
Jayden Sullivan
Luai*/Sezer
Pole
John Bateman
Isaiah Papali'i
David Klemmer
Apisai Koroisau (c)
Stefano Utoikamanu

Samuela Fainu
Blore/Seyfarth
Twal
Tallyn Da Silva

I like Jake Simpkin but I think Tayllyn offers more in attack.
Noffa replaces Staines if Charlie leaves us and until and we find a top winger to replace Noffa, who fast approaching a use by date.
Asu Kepaoa is getting better but he frustrates me. I think he is destined to be an edge forward but maybe not for us...what do you think?
Samuela Fainu may not be ready for NRL but what I saw in his barnstorming runs in this year's U19 SOO was really impressive and he's going to be a clone of Manly's Haumole Olakau'atu...a tall rangy and solid player who has good post contact metres and an offload.
New signing ½ Latu Fainu is our future but I don't think he'll get a run until the development players also get a run. We have to nurture this guy and not ruin his career.
I threw in another development player, Kit Laulilii. In his little cameo this year against a powerful Manly pack he really impressed me with his body height and power through the hips when he took the ball forward.
He played 35mins and had 11 solid runs.
He's 100% homegrown as he came through our pathways system.
I've got a really good gut feeling about this lad.
He may come into the NRL in rd 11 and play thru into 2025 and beyond.
Justin Matamua and Brandon Tumth... I am not totally sold on these guys however like a lot of our players, they might do better after a full preseason with the NRL squad.
Unsure what's going to happen with AD but if he goes, his 600k a year will be needed to go towards signing a marquee back.
This could be the indicator that we might hold off and try to sign a marquee back for 2025 and onwards.
I'm hoping one of you guys can give your opinions on Solomone Saukura and Tony Sukkar. Do you think they'll play NRL?
Also what will happen with Sione Fainu, Lachlan Galvin, Brandon Mansfild, Jordan Miller, Brent Naden.
We are hoping we get some more great signings which means someone has to go...who.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
Yepm I can see the logic in that.
The quandary is....are any of these halves including Luai capable of getting us into the finals with the current squad of backs?
If we stay the same for the next year or so waiting for Feledy and Triston Reilly to come good I believe it's going to be tough. I know you like Reilly but I'm not sold.... not yet anyway.
His strengths are positional plays and support and he beats opposition with sustained speed running, not electric off the mark.
We need someone better like a Walsh. Someone who jinks and has change-ups and sidesteps. If we had one of these type of players then Triston and Josh would be a good support player and it would help Bula as well.
A good compromise atm would be to get someone like Solomon Alaimalo who wouldn't break the bank.
You guys know I'm a big fan of Manu and I'd love him to come to us for 2 years with a further 1 year mutual offer. Saints are offering $1m+ over 4 years and that's too long. The guy is getting older and picking up some injuries so I'd rather a short impact stint where he could help develop players like Reilly and Feledy. He would be looking for a longer contract though and I don't want to wait.
Bradman Best would make a good partner for To'a.
So here is a fantasy...
Bula
Charlie Staines/Noffa
Junior Topou
Solomon Alaimalo/Best
Starford To'a
Jayden Sullivan
Luai*/Sezer
Pole
John Bateman
Isaiah Papali'i
David Klemmer
Apisai Koroisau (c)
Stefano Utoikamanu

Samuela Fainu
Blore/Seyfarth
Twal
Tallyn Da Silva

I like Jake Simpkin but I think Tayllyn offers more in attack.
Noffa replaces Staines if Charlie leaves us and until and we find a top winger to replace Noffa, who fast approaching a use by date.
Asu Kepaoa is getting better but he frustrates me. I think he is destined to be an edge forward but maybe not for us...what do you think?
Samuela Fainu may not be ready for NRL but what I saw in his barnstorming runs in this year's U19 SOO was really impressive and he's going to be a clone of Manly's Haumole Olakau'atu...a tall rangy and solid player who has good post contact metres and an offload.
New signing ½ Latu Fainu is our future but I don't think he'll get a run until the development players also get a run. We have to nurture this guy and not ruin his career.
I threw in another development player, Kit Laulilii. In his little cameo this year against a powerful Manly pack he really impressed me with his body height and power through the hips when he took the ball forward.
He played 35mins and had 11 solid runs.
He's 100% homegrown as he came through our pathways system.
I've got a really good gut feeling about this lad.
He may come into the NRL in rd 11 and play thru into 2025 and beyond.
Justin Matamua and Brandon Tumth... I am not totally sold on these guys however like a lot of our players, they might do better after a full preseason with the NRL squad.
Unsure what's going to happen with AD but if he goes, his 600k a year will be needed to go towards signing a marquee back.
This could be the indicator that we might hold off and try to sign a marquee back for 2025 and onwards.
I'm hoping one of you guys can give your opinions on Solomone Saukura and Tony Sukkar. Do you think they'll play NRL?
Also what will happen with Sione Fainu, Lachlan Galvin, Brandon Mansfild, Jordan Miller, Brent Naden.
We are hoping we get some more great signings which means someone has to go...who.
My head hurts, trying to get everything in that you are saying. Lol
You gotta have depth, that’s a given, some of the young blokes coming in are too young yet imo, atm.
A thought….would you offer Manu, say 2 years at say $1.5m per?
My point being, $1m / yr over 4 yrs, isn’t much different and some of these 10 deals being offered, I think are never designed to last the distance, as the player is getting older and more injury prone?
I don’t think waiting for the young blokes to come (they may not deliver) is the answer for us, we are the double spoon club, they ain’t rushing to our door. If we can afford it, pay it.

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Yep I agree. Unfortunately Manu could be looking at that last big contract. Players like Best would have contract wriggle room to suit both parties.

Tigerm

First Grade
Still some time left, but looks like Madge’s NZ team is doing alright, against Australia?

Edit: 30-0, I guess you could call that a flogging.

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Imagine if our coach was the NZ coach who just led them to the biggest win ever over Australia.
All the NZ players would want him to be their coach. Imagine the team we could have.

Nutz

Bench
Imagine if our coach was the NZ coach who just led them to the biggest win ever over Australia.
All the NZ players would want him to be their coach. Imagine the team we could have.
Yep it would be awesome to have a coach like the kiwi's one :D

Nutz

Bench
Have we signed anyone yet, are we there yet........................................................................................
What about now?

Nutz

Bench
Soon, I can't say too much atm, cos I don't know hahaha
I can't say too much either as I know less than you do TM.
I wish that the sites emoticons that we put in our own posts, like this little fella :( , were the same big ones that we acknowledge other member's posts.

Nutz

Bench
If you take our best team for next year and add a couple of astute backs signings, we would really have a decent side.

Latest posts