What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
I'm witnessing enough changes at the club to feel like it is the start of something new. I reckon it will help the team a lot mentally to think we are starting fresh and it's not a matter of same old same old.
The review hasn't been finalised but as you said Ned there's movement at the station.
Not just with recruitment but with trainers and footy ops etc.
I think they are reacting earlier so as to avoid preseason disruptions.
As with Olam, he starts training next week so I can't see an announcement till next Friday....well that's my guess anyway.
The holding off on players like Staines and co will be sorted once our recruitment of new players is sorted.
So I would imagine that players like Solomon Alaimalo, Olam, Luai etc is confirmed/rejected then their will be several signings/resignings.
Fingers crossed that our backs can be on par with our forwards next year.

Nutz

Bench
I'm witnessing enough changes at the club to feel like it is the start of something new. I reckon it will help the team a lot mentally to think we are starting fresh and it's not a matter of same old same old.
I think it's going to help us poor weary supporters too knowing that we are not sitting on our hands.
Just by releasing Brooks frees us a lot of coin to go hard for someone like Luai.
I'm keeping an eye out for teams forced to up the ante on the stars or hold onto them which will make it impossible for them to do so again for 2025 if we go hard.
I rub my hands together when I see clubs like Manly pay big $ for players like Brooks/DCE/Shuster/Trbojevic family then struggle to keep the next generation stars.

Fordy20

Juniors
Even though Olam is nearing the end of his career and fell out of favour with Bellache, Olam came back for the finals and showed he still has a few years left in the tank.
If he comes to WT and Benji and the club show belief in him he could be rejuvenated enough to make a huge impact.
I would be cautious offering him anything over 2 years with club options which I doubt he would take.
I guess it's all in the presentation Benji puts on as he's flown down to Melbourne to get the deal done.
A 2 year contract is extremely unlikely. Olam is currently contracted with the Storm until the end of the 2026 season. Unless there was a player swap for a single season, we would have to take him for three years.

Olam would be 33 years old at the end of his current contract. When you consider that both Klemmer and Bateman will be 33 at the end of their contracts and Api will be 34. The difference between these players and Olam is that Olam plays a position that is expected to play 80mins week in, week out.

Why the hell are even considering this? Reilly and Feledy aren't going to sit on the sidelines for 3 years. Might as well put Reilly in now. If we need depth, give a contract to a journeyman like Corey Allen.'

I rub my hands together when I see clubs like Manly pay big $ for players like Brooks/DCE/Shuster/Trbojevic family then struggle to keep the next generation stars.

Kinda like us signing Bateman on $750k a season and losing Blore to the Storm.

Tigerm

First Grade
A 2 year contract is extremely unlikely. Olam is currently contracted with the Storm until the end of the 2026 season. Unless there was a player swap for a single season, we would have to take him for three years.

Olam would be 33 years old at the end of his current contract. When you consider that both Klemmer and Bateman will be 33 at the end of their contracts and Api will be 34. The difference between these players and Olam is that Olam plays a position that is expected to play 80mins week in, week out.

Why the hell are even considering this? Reilly and Feledy aren't going to sit on the sidelines for 3 years. Might as well put Reilly in now. If we need depth, give a contract to a journeyman like Corey Allen.'

Kinda like us signing Bateman on $750k a season and losing Blore to the Storm.
Well, atm, I’d prefer to have Olam here next season, then Blore. A top notch back is a much needed piece in our roster. If we could get him on a 2 yr deal from next year, I think it would be great.
I am a fan of Blore, but his history with us re: injury has been patchy and we have blokes to fill his spot.

Nutz

Bench
I would be cautious offering him anything over 2 years with club options which I doubt he would take.
@Fordy20
I've already said that Fordy.
As to why we are considering this..... well the guy is a proven NRL and international winner.
DalyM centre of the Year, 46 tries with the storm and 76% win.
He will be superior to Feledy and Reilly (who is coming off a knee injury) over the next couple of years and either Feledy or Reilly could, depending on their form come in as a sub/injuries or as a permanent partner.
To'a is inconsistent but should retain his place if he stays in form.
Where I do see a change coming is Nofa and AD will be released.
We are talking about a swap here with Blore/Olam.
Melbourne Storm have identified they lack depth on the edge and Blore is keen to go.
I don't know why your bringing up the comparison of Blore and Bateman. Johny is a winner at international level, man of series recently and we got him for 750k over 4 years...with an ever increasing sal cap this was astute recruiting.
I've also said that I wished Blore wasn't the one we trade but the Storm have to get something of value in return and we need a centre NOW!
If I was in charge of recruiting and Olam said 3 years or nothing I'd still take him because of what you see is what you get from him. The jury is still out on our developing centres.

Last edited:

Vic Mackey

Referee
It looks like this guy has already developed.
Some of the development lads are huge. At least our trainers are doing a good job.
View attachment 81924

Chris Faagutu, we did well to get him. Was playing qld cup in 2022 as a school kid, then we brought him down and played him in Ball, weird. Still hes another middle forward, would be good if the club recruited in some other areas.

Nutz

Bench
Chris Faagutu, we did well to get him. Was playing qld cup in 2022 as a school kid, then we brought him down and played him in Ball, weird. Still hes another middle forward, would be good if the club recruited in some other areas.
He'll be a goodin when his you know what drops.... he can fill in for ex Panthers Blore :)

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
He looks like he could play centre

Tigerm

First Grade
Sky Sports Radio reporting Charlie Staines has resigned with the club this week. If so would expect to see him back at training tomorrow
Just looking at our squad numbers, it is already showing 30, unless some are development, or someone is being released?

Simpkin?

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Just looking at our squad numbers, it is already showing 30, unless some are development, or someone is being released?

Simpkin?

Season 9 Lol GIF by The Office

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT:
Congrats to John Bateman (England) and Jahream Bula (Fiji), who have been nominated for the IRL Golden Boot for 2023

Who knew?

Fordy20

Juniors
View attachment 81957
Not a bad line up? Don’t think it helped get us into the 8 though, did it?

After 7 rounds, we were 5-2 and 2nd on the ladder. That included wins against Manly and a Souths side peppered with Burgii. If all the players stayed on the pitch the entire season, we would have easily made the 8. Now compare the line up in Round 24:

Look at that backline. FOURTH string fullback, a half playing out of position in the centres and a second rower on each wing. Brooks playing his second season and Moses shoved into the halves after spending time all over the backline.

Injuries cruelled our season more than the media did, but what really ruined us was the board failing to extend Potter and keep those players together.

Nutz

Bench
Why is it that we hear Charlie Staines has resigned in media outlets other than WT.
I though we sorted that crap out.
Anyway, I delighted Charlie has recommitted.
It could be a sign that either we've failed with Olam or maybe moving on a back...or both.
I don't think Charlie was in our top 30 so who is going.
We've released Brooks, Wakeham, Talau, Laurie, from our NRL backs last year so Noffa and AD could be tapped on the shoulder.
I'm more leaning to releasing a forward to accommodate any further signings.

Tigerm

First Grade
After 7 rounds, we were 5-2 and 2nd on the ladder. That included wins against Manly and a Souths side peppered with Burgii. If all the players stayed on the pitch the entire season, we would have easily made the 8. Now compare the line up in Round 24:

Look at that backline. FOURTH string fullback, a half playing out of position in the centres and a second rower on each wing. Brooks playing his second season and Moses shoved into the halves after spending time all over the backline.

Injuries cruelled our season more than the media did, but what really ruined us was the board failing to extend Potter and keep those players together.
Yeah, I remember being not sure about Potter getting the flick, but history shows, it was a huge mistake, one we’ve never really recovered from in some ways?

Tigerm

First Grade
Why is it that we hear Charlie Staines has resigned in media outlets other than WT.
It could be a sign that either we've failed with Olam or maybe moving on a back...or both.
We've released Brooks, Wakeham, Talau, Laurie, from our NRL backs last year so Noffa and AD could be tapped on the shoulder.
Well when you’re sworn to secrecy……lol

But there is nothing on the clubs website, so it’s still a rumour? Hope it’s true though.

Tigerm

First Grade
I mentioned Simpkin, he is probably not required, with TDS on board?
More likely one of the development players, if it’s true?

Nutz

Bench
I mentioned Simpkin, he is probably not required, with TDS on board?
More likely one of the development players, if it’s true?
It's reported in another source but it's not solid either.
I'd hate to be a selector. Going by my Fantasy Coach selections I normally have no money left for reserves and emergencies ha ha.

Latest posts