What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

TroyJax

Juniors
More:
Underrated factor this year was a full preseason focused on ball movement, forwards playing lighter and pushing things, only to then turn into a team trying to grind games through the middle and win arm wrestles while playing patient. Chalk and cheese.

And players carried through preseason with light workloads/no workloads/no reps. No surprise the Toa’s/Wakeham’s/Bateman’s all hit walls in the back half, while others started the year slow (Api, Brooks etc)

Deserved the spoon but also a lot of self-inflicted wounds eg going 8 or so weeks with the best defence (behind Penrith) in the competition, only to get bored & change edge combos through the bye period & have it fall apart all over again.

‘Marshall’s pre-season focus has been on elevating standards and not how his team will play. For some players, the gruelling nature of the training has been a shock, but Marshall is more concerned about effort than intricate plays.’

Thoughts?
They were a pack of useless merkins in 2023.
No excuses.
The majority deserved a smack in the mouth.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I can't wait for this Friday for the big announcement :p
I'm thinking not this week but next Friday
I Hope Please GIF

Fordy20

Juniors
NBWT:
‘What might surprise Holman Barnes directors, who commissioned the review in the first place, is the recommendations will ask them to step back.’
‘According to those who have seen the report, speaking on the condition of anonymity because it is yet to be released, the review is less about Hagipantelis and more about the club’s entire board and structure’

Intriguing? If true, might be some big changes?
Finding an excuse to punt Lee was a good angle to get Tony and his cronies to buy into this review. While some rigor around the appointment of independent directors would be welcome, that same rigor needs to be applied to all appointees, particularly since the WAL appointed directorships are just handed out the debunture holders and their mates. So I'm glad to hear that the review is about entire board and structure.

Selecting Crawford and Barnier to run this review was very smart too. That Parramatta review and the implementation of it's recommendations has been a godsend to that club. If adopting the Parramatta model for board structure and appointments was what we got out this review, that would be huge win.

However, that would mean abolishing WAL appointed board positions and anyone who has to convince Tony and his mates that this is right thing to do has certainly got their work cut out for them.

Nutz

Bench
I was thinking last night (gee it hurt) that most successful clubs have the best ½-⅝ combos and throw in 9 as they ball play too.
We had none so I applaud WT for trying to fix this. If they signed another Wakeham type then we would be calling for heads to roll.
There is no marquee halves out there and Luia is the one we need to gamble on.
Apart from tying up our salary cap I can't see Luai failing, he is so different to Brooks, Wakeham and AD.

Tigerm

First Grade
Finding an excuse to punt Lee was a good angle to get Tony and his cronies to buy into this review. While some rigor around the appointment of independent directors would be welcome, that same rigor needs to be applied to all appointees, particularly since the WAL appointed directorships are just handed out the debunture holders and their mates. So I'm glad to hear that the review is about entire board and structure.

Selecting Crawford and Barnier to run this review was very smart too. That Parramatta review and the implementation of it's recommendations has been a godsend to that club. If adopting the Parramatta model for board structure and appointments was what we got out this review, that would be huge win.

However, that would mean abolishing WAL appointed board positions and anyone who has to convince Tony and his mates that this is right thing to do has certainly got their work cut out for them.
I think without a self funding WT’s entity, much of this stuff will be a pipe dream. There will never be a democratically elected board by members? I think most clubs are running this way, these days?
IMO, West Ashfield saved the JV and run the show.
Again, my opinion is that what the board does or doesn’t do, should not affect footy performance.
Except for on field performance we have some pretty impressive things to be proud of?
We are just coming out of past salary cap messes, yes we signed plenty of duds, but it’s what happens now, is what matters.

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT Twitter:
WT are preparing to table Addin Fonua-Blake an offer, as soon as this week, for a deal that could run up to four years from 2025.

Fonua-Blake is set to tour the WT, Dragons and Bulldogs facilities over the Christmas break. (Telegraph)

If they got him and Luai, I’d be putting @Das Hassler house on it to make the 8 in ‘25. Hahaha

gordsy

Juniors
Luai and Blake would be good but unlikely. If we are already shopping Klemmer to sign Luai who would we have to let go to sign AFB ?? Not to mention he would probably give some b/s reason to try and break the contract like he has done with Manly and the Warrriors

Tigerm

First Grade
Luai and Blake would be good but unlikely. If we are already shopping Klemmer to sign Luai who would we have to let go to sign AFB ?? Not to mention he would probably give some b/s reason to try and break the contract like he has done with Manly and the Warrriors
I believe the Klemmer thing was debunked by the press actually, that it was another club (not named) spreading porkies and the WT have said that they have the cash for Luai, (Brooks money?) though nothing has been mentioned, that I'm aware of, about money for AFB?
Thinking ahead, I don't think they'll re-sign Douiehi (600k), bearing in mind, that this is all for 2025 (I believe?) so I think they will be cashed up if they want to get him?

Latest posts