What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
NBWT Twitter:

Will Smith, who was on a T&T at WT this year, is set to join Western Suburbs in the Newcastle competition for 2024

Ned Kelly

Juniors
My Sherlock Holmes training tells me that we've signed Luia and the 10 day cooling off period finishes Thursday.
So expect an announcement on Friday at 1400hr.
View attachment 82135
Scared Breaking Bad GIF by davidsaracino

Nutz

Bench

It's always to do with money Sterlo.
In the modern game your lucky to get 10 years at the top.
Luai's 4 years offer on big money will set him up for retirement.
The contract will take him to 30-31yrs of age and possibly another 2 year contract with us or ESL.
Sterlo, not everyone can enjoy a long career in the media post NRL. Luai would be lucky to get an NRL podcast if he's lucky, which he pays for ha ha.

Tigerm

First Grade

The contract will take him to 30-31yrs of age and possibly another 2 year contract with us or ESL.
Sterlo, not everyone can enjoy a long career in the media post NRL. Luai would be lucky to get an NRL podcast if he's lucky, which he pays for ha ha.
Yeah, I was going to post this with similar comments.

I wonder how many eels players, who stayed loyal would agree with him? Ray Price says hi.
Not saying there clubs owe them anything, they were well paid for their services, and both parties should move on.
But for him to make such a silly statement probably indicates, he thinks what he has done is the norm.

Fordy20

Juniors
Glad Sterlo raises the point that it's not all about money. For Luai, this is about legacy. It's about stepping out of the shadow of the Clearys and away from the safety of the Penrith machine. It's about proving in that he has what it takes to be the leader to push a team around, to pull them out of a hole and put on the points when it counts. To do it week in, week out in club land at the the biggest basket case club in the NRL, one that has had back to back wooden spoons and that hasn't played finals over a decade. His greatness would be undeniable.

If was just about money, he could go to the Dogs and hang out with his mates or go to the Queens and achieve precisely nothing, just like Ben Hunt.

Crazyperpman

Juniors

It's always amusing to see past players doing the math and comparing decisions with their careers. It's only 200k, once you take out tax/management/moving it’s not that much difference.

The difference is these guys are not just supporting themselves and what a privileged player from the past may not realize is what they see as "not that much of a difference" can go a long way in supporting their extended families.

I doubt any of the Penrith players really wanted to leave in the last couple of years. You look at guys like Crighton, Kikau and possibly now Luai, for sure the extra help they can give their family weighs heavy on their decisions.

Tigerm

First Grade
Glad Sterlo raises the point that it's not all about money. For Luai, this is about legacy. It's about stepping out of the shadow of the Clearys and away from the safety of the Penrith machine. It's about proving in that he has what it takes to be the leader to push a team around, to pull them out of a hole and put on the points when it counts. To do it week in, week out in club land at the the biggest basket case club in the NRL, one that has had back to back wooden spoons and that hasn't played finals over a decade. His greatness would be undeniable.

If was just about money, he could go to the Dogs and hang out with his mates or go to the Queens and achieve precisely nothing, just like Ben Hunt.
Yep, I reckon that’s the picture Benji probably painted for him and it’s true.
Same would apply at the pennies, if they don’t win the comp, when he isn’t there? He could claim it was him and not Nathan that was the difference hahaha

Nutz

Bench
It's only 200k
Ha ha, yeh $200,000.00 that's not much money. I bet you after the average Joe finished a building contract and the owner came up to him and said well done here's an extra 200k, they wouldn't say, "don't worry it was nice working for you"

Last edited:

Nutz

Bench
Dogs aren't offering as much as we are they?
Fordy, I think in Jorome's case it's a bit of both.
A chance to prove himself as a leader of the attack and the money.
I know it's a sad state of affairs that contracts these days are deteriorating as far as lotalty goes.
I'd go as far as saying that loyalty is based on personal gain and money, then mates.
Of course there have been exceptions but do you really know the $ and ¢, TPA's, life after footy details. All of which the rorters seem good at.
Professional footballers is about money and lots of it.
By playing in a top team your product gets exposure...the more likely you will gain rep honours, finals experience, all of which means more dollars.
That has happened to Luai and now he's holding the aces.
I believe Benji's sales pitch would be to come WT and own the attack and also have that extra financial security.

Chins get the wins

First Grade
Yep, I reckon that’s the picture Benji probably painted for him and it’s true.
Same would apply at the pennies, if they don’t win the comp, when he isn’t there? He could claim it was him and not Nathan that was the difference hahaha
Cogger badly damaged Luai's career unfortunately

Tigerm

First Grade
Dogs aren't offering as much as we are they?
Fordy, I think in Jorome's case it's a bit of both.
A chance to prove himself as a leader of the attack and the money.
I know it's a sad state of affairs that contracts these days are deteriorating as far as lotalty goes.
I'd go as far as saying that loyalty is based on personal gain and money, then mates.
Of course there have been exceptions but do you really know the $ and ¢, TPA's, life after footy details. All of which the rorters seem good at.
Professional footballers is about money and lots of it.
By playing in a top team your product gets exposure...the more likely you will gain rep honours, finals experience, all of which means more dollars.
That has happened to Luai and now he's holding the aces.
I believe Benji's sales pitch would be to come WT and own the attack and also have that extra financial security.
Agree, professional footballers are only a tackle away from never playing again?
Simon Dwyer is the classic example that comes to mind?
You gotta take the money while it’s on offer, it’s not there forever.

Vic Mackey

Referee
Ha ha, yeh $200,000.00 that's not much money. I bet you after the average Joe finished a building contract and the owner came up to him and said well done here's an extra 200k, they wouldn't say, "don't worry it was nice working for you"

$200k is a huge amount of money, though when you break down the contracts after tax/manager fees etc there isnt the massive difference youd think.

Penrith offer = $850k. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $417k net a year
Wests offer = $1.05m. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $510k net a year

All of a sudden its 'only' an extra $93k a year which is still a lot of money, however when you look at it as either $417k or $510k the difference doesnt sound anywhere near as much. I mean at $417k hes not exactly going to have to scrounge for cash is he?

Tigerm

First Grade
$200k is a huge amount of money, though when you break down the contracts after tax/manager fees etc there isnt the massive difference youd think.

Penrith offer = $850k. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $417k net a year
Wests offer = $1.05m. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $510k net a year

All of a sudden its 'only' an extra $93k a year which is still a lot of money, however when you look at it as either $417k or $510k the difference doesnt sound anywhere near as much. I mean at $417k hes not exactly going to have to scrounge for cash is he?
The length of contract may come into it then, as well as ego?

Latest posts