What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

Coach
Jareme bula not a flyer? Id say you'd have massive issues if the roosters came knocking on his door when he is off contract
Not sure Junior is in Jahream’s class atm, though?
Not always a pointer to the future, but Jahream has said he wants to be here, but we’ll worry about, when it’s time to worry about it.

MugaB

Coach
Not sure Junior is in Jahream’s class atm, though?
Not always a pointer to the future, but Jahream has said he wants to be here, but we’ll worry about, when it’s time to worry about it.
You've almost lock up a new halfback, last thing you want is another club poaching another tigers spine member, and a upcoming new rookie at that

Tigerm

Coach
You've almost lock up a new halfback, last thing you want is another club poaching another tigers spine member, and a upcoming new rookie at that
Not sure what you mean, Jahream is signed to ‘27? No one has said they not going to resign Junior?

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT:
‘What might surprise Holman Barnes directors, who commissioned the review in the first place, is the recommendations will ask them to step back.’
‘According to those who have seen the report, speaking on the condition of anonymity because it is yet to be released, the review is less about Hagipantelis and more about the club’s entire board and structure’

Intriguing? If true, might be some big changes?

Nutz

Bench
They might sack their season ticket holders too, you know, the members who stood by them for years. I wouldn't put it past them.
Now now Nutz, you promised not to bag the board until next year. mmm

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT:
‘What might surprise Holman Barnes directors, who commissioned the review in the first place, is the recommendations will ask them to step back.’
‘According to those who have seen the report, speaking on the condition of anonymity because it is yet to be released, the review is less about Hagipantelis and more about the club’s entire board and structure’

Intriguing? If true, might be some big changes?
More:
Underrated factor this year was a full preseason focused on ball movement, forwards playing lighter and pushing things, only to then turn into a team trying to grind games through the middle and win arm wrestles while playing patient. Chalk and cheese.

And players carried through preseason with light workloads/no workloads/no reps. No surprise the Toa’s/Wakeham’s/Bateman’s all hit walls in the back half, while others started the year slow (Api, Brooks etc)

Deserved the spoon but also a lot of self-inflicted wounds eg going 8 or so weeks with the best defence (behind Penrith) in the competition, only to get bored & change edge combos through the bye period & have it fall apart all over again.

‘Marshall’s pre-season focus has been on elevating standards and not how his team will play. For some players, the gruelling nature of the training has been a shock, but Marshall is more concerned about effort than intricate plays.’

Thoughts?

Tigerm

Coach
They might sack their season ticket holders too, you know, the members who stood by them for years. I wouldn't put it past them.
Now now Nutz, you promised not to bag the board until next year. mmm
After two years of shit, no one is safe. Hahaha

Tiger Ted

Bench
More:
Underrated factor this year was a full preseason focused on ball movement, forwards playing lighter and pushing things, only to then turn into a team trying to grind games through the middle and win arm wrestles while playing patient. Chalk and cheese.

And players carried through preseason with light workloads/no workloads/no reps. No surprise the Toa’s/Wakeham’s/Bateman’s all hit walls in the back half, while others started the year slow (Api, Brooks etc)

Deserved the spoon but also a lot of self-inflicted wounds eg going 8 or so weeks with the best defence (behind Penrith) in the competition, only to get bored & change edge combos through the bye period & have it fall apart all over again.

‘Marshall’s pre-season focus has been on elevating standards and not how his team will play. For some players, the gruelling nature of the training has been a shock, but Marshall is more concerned about effort than intricate plays.’

Thoughts?
The glaring lack of effort & lack of accountability has been a major problem for this rabble for ages so if they start giving a fk we can rapidly become genuine finals contenders

Tigerm

Coach
The glaring lack of effort & lack of accountability has been a major problem for this rabble for ages so if they start giving a fk we can rapidly become genuine finals contenders
Yeah, it’s obviously only very early, but so far, the talk is encouraging from Benji, the proof will come once the comp starts though.

TBH, it’s one of the main reasons I would like luai to come here, he will be stinging to whoever doesn’t perform?

Munky

Coach
$200k is a huge amount of money, though when you break down the contracts after tax/manager fees etc there isnt the massive difference youd think.

Penrith offer = $850k. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $417k net a year
Wests offer = $1.05m. after tax and 7% manager fee comes down to $510k net a year

All of a sudden its 'only' an extra $93k a year which is still a lot of money, however when you look at it as either $417k or $510k the difference doesnt sound anywhere near as much. I mean at $417k hes not exactly going to have to scrounge for cash is he?

I did rough numbers last week. Compounding returns.

If Luai was to passively invest the after tax difference on four years of $200k gross extra salary over 30 years.

After tax returns:

At 3% = $956,372
At 5.5% = $1,851,767
At 8% = $3,532,852
At 10.5% = $6,645,546

For example the Vanguard Australian Shares Fund has returned 7.32% (pre tax) per annum over ten years.

If it's $350k gross salary difference multiply the above by 1.75.

I did the calcs in five minutes so could be wrong though.

Tigerm

Coach
I was just reading an article about Sirro retiring, they said:

Around 100 friends, former teammates and colleagues gathered in the Chairman's Lounge at Leichhardt last Friday to farewell the legend.

Are they referring to somewhere at LO? I used to work there about 45 years ago, I don’t remember anywhere that could hold those sort of numbers, in a lounge environment, have they renovated somewhere to get this area?

Nutz

Bench
Here here.
I should be ill that other clubs are chasing players like Tupou but I'm feeling a bit numb tbh.
Tupou is one of the 30 that got flogged several times this year. Tupou, whilst he had a couple of blinders, was seen jogging on the spot on many occasions when opposition made breaks. I know this because I record all the games and review them.
It would not have upset me if Benji sacked all the backs except Bula and put a rocket up a couple of forwards....something had to be done. I mean some games were pathetic.
I don't think Naden is going to take us to the finals but gee the guy puts in. He turned and chased several times and so did big red.
Though I think if we snare Olam it will be an upgrade on Naden.
Out of all the forwards I see Sayfart as a potential gem...all effort and still developing.
I saw things in his game that top players do. He just hasn't put it all together but he will I'm sure.

Nutz

Bench

Around 100 friends, former teammates and colleagues gathered in the Chairman's Lounge at Leichhardt last Friday to farewell the legend.

Are they referring to somewhere at LO? I used to work there about 45 years ago, I don’t remember anywhere that could hold those sort of numbers, in a lounge environment, have they renovated somewhere to get this area?
Mate the Chairman's Lounge at Leichhardt is inside the old scoreboard :)

Nutz

Bench
By the way fellas, I haven't received an email back about Ronnie's farewell.
I figured as much.
(WT have always replied but not this time.
I'm going to send another one every week until I get answer.

Tigerm

Coach
Mate the Chairman's Lounge at Leichhardt is inside the old scoreboard :)
Well, there you go, when you say “old scoreboard” you are referring to the one on the hill, aren’t you? The only one that I’m aware of?

The Leichhardt pool end of the stand is where they have their events. 100 standing around, is easy. When there’s tables & chairs, it’s cramped.

simmo1

First Grade
I did rough numbers last week. Compounding returns.

If Luai was to passively invest the after tax difference on four years of $200k gross extra salary over 30 years.

After tax returns:

At 3% = $956,372
At 5.5% = $1,851,767
At 8% = $3,532,852
At 10.5% = $6,645,546

For example the Vanguard Australian Shares Fund has returned 7.32% (pre tax) per annum over ten years.

If it's $350k gross salary difference multiply the above by 1.75.

I did the calcs in five minutes so could be wrong though.

These are NRL players. The only "investing" they will be doing is in Bitcoin and Queen of the Nile.

Latest posts