What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

MugaB

Coach
Yeah, that's the final nail in the coffin for me with Nofa. I really loved the bloke for a long time. It felt like he was the heart and soul of Wests Tigers...but I think that's done now. If Benji can't motivate him then I don't know who can. To be honest, him and Douihi are the last of the "completely shithouse" years. Once they are gone, it's basically an entirely new roster under Benji.

I'm going to make the assumption that we have 1 million in the cap spare for 2023. We front loaded the shit out of a lot of players salaries so it really wouldn't surprise me. That's AFB money right there. Then you have Nofa (500k) and Doeuihi (600k). Move them both on and that's Luai's salary in 2024.

My other guess is that we are pushing for Blore / Olam swap, and Melbourne to cover the difference for 2024. In 2025, Luai arrives and we move Sezer on, or at least reduce his deal to cover Olam.

1. Bula
2. Steines
3. To'a
4. Olam
5. Tupou
6. Luai
7. Sullivan
8. Stefano
9. Api
10. AFB
11. Papali'i
12. Bateman
13. Klemmer

14. Da Silva
15. Twal
16. Pole
17. Kepoa/Seyfarth/Fainu

If this all goes well, we will have the best roster in the history of Wests Tigers for 2025. Players like Stefano and Papali'i will want to re-sign, and if they don't, it will be much easier slotting in a young gun into the 2026 side than it was for the past 15 years.

I have a strong feeling we will be making the top 8 of the bottom half this year
The halves are wrong, Sullivan will be 6... you don't pay 1.2 millions+ and not have Luai run the side, i don't care what number is on his back, he grew up in juniors as a halfback, he'll be playing halfback, nathan cleary was the junior 5/8th and a damn good one.... (aka evidence in the last GF) it was only due to nathan growing into adulthood faster than romey that he got the 7 jersey at penrith first, hell maloney was doing all the halfback work anyway when he was there, during that transition.

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT twitter:

Marshall is attempting to clean out some of the players who haven’t performed in recent years, led by winger David Nofoaluma. Marshall has made it clear he is free to leave. (Telegraph)

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT twitter:

Marshall is attempting to clean out some of the players who haven’t performed in recent years, led by winger David Nofoaluma. Marshall has made it clear he is free to leave. (Telegraph)

I think, it’s fair enough, Marshals job is on the line as well, if he can’t lift them away from the bottom?
Nofo doesn’t seem to want to be a team player anymore?

Nutz

Bench
The halves are wrong, Sullivan will be 6... you don't pay 1.2 millions+ and not have Luai run the side, i don't care what number is on his back, he grew up in juniors as a halfback, he'll be playing halfback, nathan cleary was the junior 5/8th and a damn good one.... (aka evidence in the last GF) it was only due to nathan growing into adulthood faster than romey that he got the 7 jersey at penrith first, hell maloney was doing all the halfback work anyway when he was there, during that transition.
I've been saying that from day 1.

Shredder

Juniors
I kinda get excited every off season only to be disappointed by about round 6, but there is some interesting shit happening this time.

I was originally against the Luia signing because hes a wanker, but really Im starting to warm to it. He could be exactly what we need and regardless, I think its worth a chance.
No more Brooks and Douehi out at least for a long white - thats positive.
Club coming out against both Nofo and Douehi, looks like there are both going to be off the books soon.
And there isnt a team in the comp that wouldnt improve with AFB in their side.

My calls for next year.
Manly last - Shuster and Brooks and Ive never rated Seibold
Dogs second last - simply buying Penrith wont make them a decent club
ST G 3rd last - I like Flanno, but hes really behind the 8 ball with player signings.
So that puts us 4th last, which would be a decent first full year for Benji as coach.

Im also starting to think the Warriors might win the whole thing next year, so looking to box Warrior premiership with Manly spoon.

For some reason I bought into the optimism last off season. I won't make that mistake again.

We will come last again winning only about 4 games if we're lucky. Benji will prove that first grader coaching is beyond him at the moment. His lack of experience and traditional apprenticeship will be the problem. This is something we have mostly all agreed upon.

Although I'm elated that Brooks is gone the players we have brought in won't cut the mustard. It looks as though we won't be able to lure a superstar centre to the club either. That will again prove to be a problem. I can see our attack being worse next year than it was this year.

Much like this year the forwards will start off strongly, but I can see them putting their cue in the rack by round 10, after they work hard for no result for the second year in a row.

In the short term, regardless of what review recommends I can't see any changes being implemented.

I also note the Tigers have brought out a 25th anniversary bottle of gin. I'm not sure this is the spirit they should have gone with, being known as the alcoholic drink that causes the most depression. We'll all be depressed enough without imbibing in that. Maybe some Tigers branded prozac or valium might be the better option?

I kinda get excited every off season only to be disappointed by about round 6, but there is some interesting shit happening this time.

I was originally against the Luia signing because hes a wanker, but really Im starting to warm to it. He could be exactly what we need and regardless, I think its worth a chance.
Club coming out against both Nofo and Douehi, looks like there are both going to be off the books soon.

My calls for next year.
ST G 3rd last - I like Flanno, but hes really behind the 8 ball with player signings.
So that puts us 4th last, which would be a decent first full year for Benji as coach.

Im also starting to think the Warriors might win the whole thing next year, so looking to box Warrior premiership with Manly spoon.
Interesting call with Warriors winning, couldn’t begrudge them that.

and if your box gets up, I think you will just about win the internet!!

TroyJax

Juniors

My calls for next year.

I doubt any of those predictions are correct.
As for 4th last…that will still be a terrible failure.

Tigerm

Coach

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce the signing of New Zealand outside back Solomon Alaimalo who has joined the club’s top-30 roster for the 2024 NRL season.
Just on 2mts tall, speedster? maybe Nofo heard he was coming, hence the theatrics hahaha

Tigerm

Coach
Just on 2mts tall, speedster? maybe Nofo heard he was coming, hence the theatrics hahaha
NBWT twitter:
Lobb (196cm, 101kg) and Alaimalo (196cm, 100kg) breaking the usual WT outside back recruitment criteria

They’re getting some height into the backs?

Tigerm

Coach
NBWT twitter:
Lobb (196cm, 101kg) and Alaimalo (196cm, 100kg) breaking the usual WT outside back recruitment criteria

They’re getting some height into the backs?
It's all a bit early to say this, but:

Lobb (196cm 101kg),
Alaimalo (196cm 100kg),
Tupou (188cm 98kg),
Naden (188cm 97kg),
Bula (187cm 93kg),
To'a (180cm, 96kg),
Staines (180cm 91kg),

Nofo (177cm 95kg) might struggle to get a run in FG anyway?

Vic Mackey

Referee

Wests Tigers is delighted to announce the signing of New Zealand outside back Solomon Alaimalo who has joined the club’s top-30 roster for the 2024 NRL season.
the guys youtube highlights from 2020/1 super rugby season are pretty insane. Certinly looks a talent, big, strong, fast with great footwork. Reminds of Israel Folau. Hes clearly got the physical attributes to be a gun NRL back, but how he goes with things like defensive reads, tough carries etc will be the big test.

Tigerm

Coach
the guys youtube highlights from 2020/1 super rugby season are pretty insane. Certinly looks a talent, big, strong, fast with great footwork. Reminds of Israel Folau. Hes clearly got the physical attributes to be a gun NRL back, but how he goes with things like defensive reads, tough carries etc will be the big test.
"talent, big, strong, fast with great footwork" better than what we've had for a long, long time?