What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

First Grade
Is that an NRL one?

I cant imagine that being right for a full time player.

My understanding of that clause is that if Luai did an ACL in this years GF then you could tear up his contract? As he wouldn't be able to play for the first 6 weeks the following year. That would be his 5 year deal and 6 mil gone in a puff of smoke. He would then spend a year on zip as his Penrith contract has expired. Then have to prove himself all over again to get a big contract once he has proven he has recovered, that means another year with whatever club will give him a deal, on bugger all in comparison at least.

If he resigned for us at 3 years and 850k he could do his ACL in this years GF and his 3 year money is coming no matter what. Only way out for the club is medical retirement, but Luai still gets paid.

Massive risk for a player to sign a year out under those terms, cant imagine the RLPA would go for that arrangement anyway. No player in his right mind would ever change clubs under that kind of deal unless they were on close to minimum or unwanted.

More likely I'd say once the contract is registered with the NRL after any cooling off periods, waivers etc, then you own him come what may.

I'd say in Volkmans case he got the release before the new deal was finalised. His management has f**ked up bigtime somewhere.

Hopefully all this is just shooting the shit anyway & Jerome arrives at Concord in 2025 healthy, fit and ready to rip in.
Agree, it's all hypothetical at this time, but it does show a grey area in the NRL allowing contracts to be signed so far out from it being started? Especially a big contract like Luai's.

soc123_au

Staff member
Must be more to it to give that clause context. Given what we offered over 3 Jerome is risking a double or nothing scenario with a serious injury this year. I just can't see it being the reality.

I'd love to hear it from someone in plain English that has dealt directly with kind of thing. Hadn't given it much thought before, it's an interesting discussion.

Nutz

Bench
Must be more to it to give that clause context. Given what we offered over 3 Jerome is risking a double or nothing scenario with a serious injury this year. I just can't see it being the reality.

I'd love to hear it from someone in plain English that has dealt directly with kind of thing. Hadn't given it much thought before, it's an interesting discussion.
I'm actually under the pump atm mate with pending surgery.
I'm trying to post the whole document then we can all help each other disect it.
It is confirmed as a NSWRL Official document and I assume an NRL contract follows the same concept.
Differences being that of an National competition having interstate/NZ clubs.

soc123_au

Staff member
I'm trying to post the whole document then we can all help each other disect it.
It is confirmed as a NSWRL Official document and I assume an NRL contract follows the same concept.
Differences being that of an National competition having interstate/NZ clubs.
No pressure mate, relax and take care of yourself. It's just off season chatter.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Just take good care of yourself as number one priority.

Hope it all goes well.
Happy Flower GIF by flomeissner

BrotherJim05

Bench
Gonna throw up a different opinion on Luai coming in 2025.

I'm not a fan of players signing a year out. It's actually embarrassing and makes NRL players look like sooks...but in the great words of Aaron Woods: "yeah, um, you know, it is what it is".

However in the case of Luai, it works massively in our favour. Currently, he is still in rehab for his shoulder. I'm not sure on his timeline, but it will be a while until he is back to 100%. It's much better for us that he does his rehab at Penrith, in the systems he knows really well with the physios he's worked with for years.

By coming in 2025, we are much greater chance of getting a 100% fit and firing Luai.

I'm not a fan of players signing a year out. It's actually embarrassing and makes NRL players look like sooks...but in the great words of Aaron Woods: "yeah, um, you know, it is what it is".

However in the case of Luai, it works massively in our favour. Currently, he is still in rehab for his shoulder. I'm not sure on his timeline, but it will be a while until he is back to 100%. It's much better for us that he does his rehab at Penrith, in the systems he knows really well with the physios he's worked with for years.

By coming in 2025, we are much greater chance of getting a 100% fit and firing Luai.

I don't know, I think Luai handled it well. When I heard he'd called a presser I thought it would be a royal mess but in hindsight it was a masterstroke as he controlled the narrative and couldn't let the media twist the story. He was clear that yeah obviously money was the motivating factor in coming to Wests but he has the desire to be a huge part in turning the clubs fortunes on the field being a young Tigers fan growing up and importantly, he still loves and respects Penrith for everything he's achieved there and wants to do it one more time before he moves on.

In doing so he kyboshed any turmoil rumours at Penrith and made his motivations for choosing Wests clear. He took a massive shit on the RL media and it was great to see.

I do agree with you regarding Woods. That was an embarrassment.

Tigerm

First Grade
Fox NRL twitter:

Can't wipe the smile off my face' 😀

Daine Laurie has opened up on the 'adversity' he faced in his final season at the Tigers, his exit from the club and why it was an 'easy decision' to join the Panthers

Yep, must have been all the WT’s fault:(

Aliceinwonderland

First Grade
Fox NRL twitter:

Daine Laurie has opened up on the 'adversity' he faced in his final season at the Tigers, his exit from the club and why it was an 'easy decision' to join the Panthers

I don't think he's saying that at all. If Laurie hadn't gone to W/T he'd not know how well he plays at 5/8th, and therefore no chance to come back to the riff.

I think he most unhappy about his injury (nothing else) which is quite normal for an elite sportsperson to feel that way. Especially when you fall down the pecking order of players (in the meantime)

Like with Luai 6 million sweetened the decision for him. Laurie the premiers offering him a squad place. A smile all round I say.

Ned Kelly

Juniors

Nutz

Bench
Last year all the talk was how Flanno would attract players. Turned out not to be the case. Benji wouldn't be able to attract players. Turned out not to be the case.
I love it.
I'm loving it too mate.
I think these days, younger players are warming to the younger coaches. It might be the best thing to have happened to our club.
We've now got all these great young lads from the all conquering HM side making their debuts and Benji and Morris might be able to get them firing after their transition.
Also, players and agents can smell clubs on the rise so we're attracting good players already.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I'm loving it too mate.
I think these days, younger players are warming to the younger coaches. It might be the best thing to have happened to our club.
We've now got all these great young lads from the all conquering HM side making their debuts and Benji and Morris might be able to get them firing after their transition.
Also, players and agents can smell clubs on the rise so we're attracting good players already.
OH YEAH!!

Wizardman

First Grade
Fox NRL twitter:

Laurie is just one of the players we've had over the years that I just don't like. There have been a few little things that have happened over his tenure that makes me happy he left.

I doubt he'll really kick on at the Panthers either. He'll be used effectively for the odd game here and there bit Im not seeing him as a first choice regular over there.

Morris has been a good low key acquisition. It looks to be me that Benji will be more of a man manager and rely heavily on his assistants (i.e. Morris,) to devise game plans and tactics. Morris reportedly had a great rapport at Cronulla with younger players and got the best out of them. Hopefully this translates to the Tigers as well and he can bring on the young fellas among the group and get the absolute best out of them. Should Benji fail to generate results and gets the chop, we also have a NRL standard replacement waiting in the wings.

Last year all the talk was how Flanno would attract players. Turned out not to be the case. Benji wouldn't be able to attract players. Turned out not to be the case.
I love it.

I don't proclaim to know anything about the goings-on at the Saints at the minute, but there's definitely a pre-Richo Tigers stink about them. Flanno arriving there and failing to land any prime targets reminds me a bit of Madge after his appointment at the Tigers. Not sure what their front office looks like either but it appears quality players are giving them a wide berth for whatever reason that may be. They don't have a hack lawyer at Chairman there getting involved in contract negotiations too, do they?

soc123_au

Staff member
I don't know, I think Luai handled it well. When I heard he'd called a presser I thought it would be a royal mess but in hindsight it was a masterstroke as he controlled the narrative and couldn't let the media twist the story. He was clear that yeah obviously money was the motivating factor in coming to Wests but he has the desire to be a huge part in turning the clubs fortunes on the field being a young Tigers fan growing up and importantly, he still loves and respects Penrith for everything he's achieved there and wants to do it one more time before he moves on.

In doing so he kyboshed any turmoil rumours at Penrith and made his motivations for choosing Wests clear. He took a massive shit on the RL media and it was great to see.

I do agree with you regarding Woods. That was an embarrassment.
Luai in a gun at handling the media, and they hate him for it. I wish more players would follow his lead.

WA Tiger

Bench
Morris has been a good low key acquisition. It looks to be me that Benji will be more of a man manager and rely heavily on his assistants (i.e. Morris,) to devise game plans and tactics. Morris reportedly had a great rapport at Cronulla with younger players and got the best out of them. Hopefully this translates to the Tigers as well and he can bring on the young fellas among the group and get the absolute best out of them. Should Benji fail to generate results and gets the chop, we also have a NRL standard replacement waiting in the wings.
I doubt Benji will be relying on anyone for the final tactics for game day.. hes been around long enough.. again as a coach u either have it or not.. maybe he doesn’t but as ned implied he’s proving the doubters wrong so far

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Laurie is just one of the players we've had over the years that I just don't like. There have been a few little things that have happened over his tenure that makes me happy he left.

I doubt he'll really kick on at the Panthers either. He'll be used effectively for the odd game here and there bit Im not seeing him as a first choice regular over there.
I’m guessing penrith may rely on Laurie more than is healthy for a successful first half of the season