What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
I never saw your question before.
I chose Ned Kelly after my childhood hero Noel Kelly who was given that nickname.
I had a fairly disturbing childhood ( not looking for sympathy) and Ned used to get out on the field and bash anyone who gave his team mates a hard time. Not only that, even though I was about 10 years old he would greet me with a "Gidday mate" and chat to me about my thoughts on the team standing outside the changing sheds at Pratten Park.
Tough as nails on the footy field. Absolute gentle man off it.
To this day he remains my real life version of Super man.
Great story mate.
When I first asked you month ago I said was it about Noel.
I had the honour of having dinner with Noel, Norm and Wally Lewis years ago.
Noel was very quiet that night until someone reminded him of some game and he'd change and start laughing and join in the banter.
He wouldn't start the banter though.
Great man.
He is buried in the same cemetery as my brother if you want to pay your respects to him.
107 Mona Vale Rd Mona Vale, Northern Beaches
Plot CTH0H-170
1936-2020
RIP

WA Tiger

Bench
The main reason I think Manly will slip further down the ladder is because they are making decisions like signing Brookes and Tommy Talau.
It’s beyond belief. Maybe not as beyond belief as this article tho
Flanagan cutting corners again
I’m not sure when they rejected Richardsons application last year ..I only found that out from u yesterday . But I’m guessing he’d be to much the boss for Flanagan..

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Great story mate.
When I first asked you month ago I said was it about Noel.
I had the honour of having dinner with Noel, Norm and Wally Lewis years ago.
Noel was very quiet that night until someone reminded him of some game and he'd change and start laughing and join in the banter.
He wouldn't start the banter though.
Great man.
He is buried in the same cemetery as my brother if you want to pay your respects to him.
107 Mona Vale Rd Mona Vale, Northern Beaches
Plot CTH0H-170
1936-2020
RIP
Thanks for that.
I just might do that sometime. less than 15mins away.
I drive past it quite a bit so it will change my experience every time.

My wife isn't interested in sport at all but years ago she met him when we hired a houseboat from a businesses he had. She was taken at the time by what a gentleman he was.

So glad I had the opportunity to let him know what he meant to me as a kid and thank him for it.

Nutz

Bench
Thanks for that.
I just might do that sometime. less than 15mins away.
I drive past it quite a bit so it will change my experience every time.

My wife isn't interested in sport at all but years ago she met him when we hired a houseboat from a businesses he had. She was taken at the time by what a gentleman he was.

So glad I had the opportunity to let him know what he meant to me as a kid and thank him for it.
Great stuff. It was an unmarked grave when I was there because he didn't want all the fuss... typical.
However it may have a headstone now. If you do go and cant find it I'll help you as I have a photo.

WA Tiger

Bench
I’m not sure when they rejected Richardsons application last year ..I only found that out from u yesterday . But I’m guessing he’d be to much the boss for Flanagan..

After Round 6 at which point sgi will be winless, they’ll go on a winning streak and end up winning the grand final by 30 points..

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I’m not sure when they rejected Richardsons application last year ..I only found that out from u yesterday .
I saw it in some newspaper article when I was madly googling anything I could find on Richardson. Some times I read something not realizing it is a very old article. This may have been one of those times.

Tigerm

Coach
@Vic Mackey Just out of interest, if Luai (or any player) was to get a season ending injury this year, where do we stand?
I.E. Do we have an option to reassess him, or are we obligated to take him injured or not, next year?

WA Tiger

Bench
It’s interesting that if it happened with him playing rep footy you would get salary cap dispensation. Seems a similar principle.
Dispensation Ok..I guessed myself.. prob coz with rep footy it’s like a “second employer” agreement..with the club footy someone has to carry the can and pay him for ‘25 ..and it surely wouldn’t be Penrith after losing his signature

Last edited:
Dispensation Ok..I guessed myself.. prob coz with rep footy it’s like a “second employer” agreement..with the club footy someone has to carry the can and pay him for 25 ..and it surely wouldn’t be Penrith after losing his signature
Good point. I assume with rep footy it is still the club that pays the player, they just get some salary cap relief.

Of course, if it was the Roosters and the player turned up with anything more serious than a skin rash they would find a way to medically retire him.

‘Red flags’: Blame game erupts as Warriors point finger at Dragons over injured star​

I wonder how this happened before he got to his new club?

Seems like there's a bit of blame all round here.

The Dragons didn't medical him before he secured his release.

The Warriors sound like they not have disclosed his injury properly.

Tartak f**ked up the worst IMO, if he knew about his injury he should have approached in a way so Volkman wasn't left without a contract for next year. Volkman gave up two years to run in NZ didn't he?

Last edited:
I really like the Olam signing. I don't see this as an epic, long term solution to our backline. It's a signing to add experience, drive standards and transition a younger player into his role in the next few years.

It's a shame that Blore has to leave, but he's stuck behind Bateman and Papali'i, plus has never really been able to string enough first grade games together to prove himself. Now he's got Fainu to contend with, and even Seyfarth tbh...so moving to Storm makes a huge amount of sense.

I'm a little pensive about Olam. On his day he's a great player and one we could absolutely do with since our three quarter line has been a steaming pile of shit for so long. The thing that worries me is often we make these signings of players with past form who have gone off the boil and just don't seem to recapture it for us and become a cap anchor. Obviously I am hoping that he bucks the trend.

Blore has immense potential but has played 30 games in 4 years. A shame he's left before he had an opportunity to play with different halves but he's a little brittle as well so there's every chance he goes to Melbourne and suffers another injury with an extended visit to the rehab ward.

Das Hassler

Bench
With Olam I'm going with ..a new challenge in a new environment will do the trick...I've always wished we had him but couldn't imagine that would ever be a realistic possibility...one season's below par form with injury thrown in hasn't changed my mind

Tigerm

Coach
With Olam I'm going with ..a new challenge in a new environment will do the trick...I've always wished we had him but couldn't imagine that would ever be a realistic possibility...one season's below par form with injury thrown in hasn't changed my mind
Yep, but I also think the PNG and many islander lads, only know how to play one way and that is flat out, for their family, their country and the people who pay them.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Yep, but I also think the PNG and many islander lads, only know how to play one way and that is flat out, for their family, their country and the people who pay them.
Absolutely.
Apparently PNG social media is going off with fans saying they have stopped following Melbourne and are now Tigers fans.
Unexpected benefit having a whole nation supporting the Tigers.
I would be quite happy if we played a home game there. Imagine how the crowd would go off.

Tigerm

Coach
Absolutely.
Apparently PNG social media is going off with fans saying they have stopped following Melbourne and are now Tigers fans.
Unexpected benefit having a whole nation supporting the Tigers.
I would be quite happy if we played a home game there. Imagine how the crowd would go off.
Have we played there recently, I mean in the last few years?
I seem to recall the team going up there.