What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

BrotherJim05

Bench
Purely speculation but I feel like Benji will really be owning the attacking game plan. Maybe he will rely on his assistant coaches on developing our defensive structures, but the philosophy of our attack will all come from him. Having a coach like Morris in the ranks who can convey that philosophy on a closer individual level will be huge.

I have a funny feeling we are heading back to the 2010-11 Wests Tigers with insane attacking power.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I don't think he's saying that at all. If Laurie hadn't gone to W/T he'd not know how well he plays at 5/8th, and therefore no chance to come back to the riff.

I think he most unhappy about his injury (nothing else) which is quite normal for an elite sportsperson to feel that way. Especially when you fall down the pecking order of players (in the meantime)

Like with Luai 6 million sweetened the decision for him. Laurie the premiers offering him a squad place. A smile all round I say.

Agree

The headline was fairly misleading. Daine didnt bag the club at all.

He was our best player in 2021, people forget we were actually a decent chance for the 8 until he broke his leg. We were 12th however only 4 points out with 6 rounds to go and played 5 bottom 8 teams in the last 6 rounds. He broke his foot in the next game in the first minute v the Warriors and we capitulated from there.

He never got back to that form which is a shame. I do think his fullback days are over. He is horrible under the high ball and doesnt have the carry, however he showed he can do a job at 5/8 for us in the back half of the year. He did seem to have a sook when playing nsw cup, he was pretty bad playing for the magpies which is a shame as youd hope that guys with first grade experience lead the way when they go back there (eg Ofanhenague made over 150ms every game when he got dropped at the start of the year) however we all handle things differently.

Daine seems a good kid and hes someone Ill always hope does well, no matter which club hes at. Considering he went well for us in the halves, youd expect he'd easily fit in there for the panthers.

Ned Kelly

Juniors
I have a funny feeling we are heading back to the 2010-11 Wests Tigers with insane attacking power.
I would say defiantly heading there. Next year we will have quality attacking players in Api, Bateman, Papali'i, Luai, Bula plus Galvin or Sullivan for starters. Add to that Olam and one or two quality pick ups and away we go.

WA Tiger

Bench
Agree

He was our best player in 2021, people forget we were actually a decent chance for the 8 until he broke his leg. We were 12th however only 4 points out with 6 rounds to go and played 5 bottom 8 teams in the last 6 rounds. He broke his foot in the next game in the first minute v the Warriors and we capitulated from there.

He never got back to that form which is a shame. I do think his fullback days are over. He is horrible under the high ball and doesnt have the carry, however he showed he can do a job at 5/8 for us in the back half of the year. He did seem to have a sook when playing nsw cup, he was pretty bad playing for the magpies which is a shame as youd hope that guys with first grade experience lead the way when they go back there (eg Ofanhenague made over 150ms every game when he got dropped at the start of the year) however we all handle things differently.

Daine seems a good kid and hes someone Ill always hope does well, no matter which club hes at. Considering he went well for us in the halves, youd expect he'd easily fit in there for the panthers.
Outstanding detail as usual.How? Anyway..2 things 1/Lauries wandering mind and apparent immaturity…No one knows what he’s experienced as an indigenous boy. I’m sure a lot of it isn’t great and on a scale most can’t comprehend. I’m just guessing . Who knows. Maybe he’s grown out of his unpredictable behaviour..Next year when he’s under pressure which I’m sure will occur, surprises wouldn’t surprise. Anyway Benji didn’t think he was worth holding onto, from up close.. 2/ I still cant understand how coaches with the experience of Madge and Sheens wouldn’t at least have tried Laurie in the halves over the others earlier on…He used to be a 6. our halves were so diabolical at times why not try him…Beats me! Sheens worried so much about players needing to show 100% loyalty and adoration to him over what they could bring to the team it seemed. Madge was just completely clueless with game day picks or as bad he was just obsessive with his pick and stick philosophy.
That might be more effective in the origin arena.

Last edited:

soc123_au

Staff member
Agree

I enjoyed watching him in 21. The injury set him back no doubt, but it looks like it's worked out pretty well overall. He stays fit & Bula probably doesn't get a shot. That is one kid I'm looking forward to watching progress. Much higher ceiling than Daine at the back. Watching him last year makes me want to see more of Turuva at fullback, but no way you move Edwards.

I liked Laurie at 6 as well last year. Aside from Api he didn't have much help and looked very capable. Defence is a worry, but to be fair that was an issue for the whole team last year, so jury is out on how much if that is him and how much was down to structure.

soc123_au

Staff member
Outstanding detail as usual.How? Anyway..2 things 1/Lauries wandering mind and apparent immaturity…No one knows what he’s experienced as an indigenous boy I’m sure a lot of it isn’t great and on a scale most can’t comprehend. . Who knows. Maybe he’s grown out of his unpredictable behaviour..Next year when he’s under pressure which I’m sure will occur, surprises wouldn’t surprise. Anyway Benji didn’t think he was worth holding onto, from up close.. 2/ I still cant understand how coaches with the experience of Madge and Sheens wouldn’t at least try Laurie in the halves over the others earlier on…He used to be a 6. our halves were so diabolical at times why not try him…Beats me! Sheens worried so much about players needing to show 100% loyalty and adoration to him over what they could bring to the team it seemed. Madge was just completely clueless with game day picks or he was just obsessive with the pick and stick philosophy.
That might be more effective when he’s the origin coach
When talking about Sheens and who he picks, Daniel & Fitzhenry are the only 2 words required. A bit like Elliott & Spurty Purts ...shudders....

Vic Mackey

Referee
Outstanding detail as usual.How? Anyway..2 things 1/Lauries wandering mind and apparent immaturity…No one knows what he’s experienced as an indigenous boy. I’m sure a lot of it isn’t great and on a scale most can’t comprehend. I’m just guessing . Who knows. Maybe he’s grown out of his unpredictable behaviour..Next year when he’s under pressure which I’m sure will occur, surprises wouldn’t surprise. Anyway Benji didn’t think he was worth holding onto, from up close.. 2/ I still cant understand how coaches with the experience of Madge and Sheens wouldn’t at least have tried Laurie in the halves over the others earlier on…He used to be a 6. our halves were so diabolical at times why not try him…Beats me! Sheens worried so much about players needing to show 100% loyalty and adoration to him over what they could bring to the team it seemed. Madge was just completely clueless with game day picks or as bad he was just obsessive with his pick and stick philosophy.
That might be more effective in the origin arena.

totally agree. Considering his performances at 6 when he played there in first grade the mind boggles as to why guys like Wakeham and W Smith were given shots in the halves over him initially.

simmo05

Bench
Purely speculation but I feel like Benji will really be owning the attacking game plan. Maybe he will rely on his assistant coaches on developing our defensive structures, but the philosophy of our attack will all come from him. Having a coach like Morris in the ranks who can convey that philosophy on a closer individual level will be huge.

They have been putrid to watch ever since that gimp Taylor made the outlandish statement that he was going to focus on defence

When talking about Sheens and who he picks, Daniel & Fitzhenry are the only 2 words required. A bit like Elliott & Spurty Purts ...shudders....

Adrian Purtell... f**k, he'd probably make a first 13 of players who probably played more first grade than they should have. He'd feature among a shedload of Tigers players.

Latest posts