What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Nutz

Bench
Imagine how the crowd would go off.
Free Betel Nut for everyone ha ha.
I remember playing a friendly against the Lae Bombers many moons ago. The crowd went absolutely nuts.
During the game there were pitch invaders....3 dogs. They started fighting in the middle of the ground and the game was stopped.
Two of the dog owners came on to retrieve your their dogs only to be set upon by the crowd when they got off the ground. This turned into a small riot and the ref whistled full time with 5 min left on the clock.
Quiet scary actually but later on we were treated like royalty as if nothing had happened.
PNG folk are lovely people...just highly strung and passionate.

Nutz

Bench
@Vic Mackey Just out of interest, if Luai (or any player) was to get a season ending injury this year, where do we stand?
I.E. Do we have an option to reassess him, or are we obligated to take him injured or not, next year?
My understanding is the new club can make an inclusion in a contract that the player has to have a fitness test before accepting him. Olam is an example.
If there's no way out I would think a medical retirement is an option.
There is salary cap relief if a player is injured in a rep game as well.

Tigerm

Coach
My understanding is the new club can make an inclusion in a contract that the player has to have a fitness test before accepting him. Olam is an example.
If there's no way out I would think a medical retirement is an option.
There is salary cap relief if a player is injured in a rep game as well.
Agree, but the silliness of it is, that he has signed with us from 2025 and if he does get a serious injury this year, I would assume, we are not obligated to honour the contract, (neither is Penrith, as he is no longer a contracted player next year) but we are now f**ked for the short and long term planning over the next 5 years.

It just brings more questions than answers.

We wouldn’t get salary cap relief, as he doesn’t actually play for us till next year, would we?

It is basically (a slight difference) what happened to the young bloke at the dragons/warriors, where he left the warriors and went to the dragons, was carrying a previous injury and the dragons cancelled the contract on medical grounds, because they were unaware of the injury and now the kid is on his own, injured and no club which means no income?

Anyway, it’s all hypothetical atm. Just looks messy.

Nutz

Bench
We only get salary cap relief when he's at the club and he's injured in a rep game.
Because we know of his shoulder injury we surely would've put in a fitness test before he starts with our club.
If he's injured this year it's Pamfers problem eg rehab up until he arrives with us. If he arrives and fails a medical Jarome falls back on his own insurance.

Last edited:

Tiger Ted

Bench
Agree, but the silliness of it is, that he has signed with us from 2025 and if he does get a serious injury this year, I would assume, we are not obligated to honour the contract, (neither is Penrith, as he is no longer a contracted player next year) but we are now f**ked for the short and long term planning over the next 5 years.

It just brings more questions than answers.

We wouldn’t get salary cap relief, as he doesn’t actually play for us till next year, would we?

It is basically (a slight difference) what happened to the young bloke at the dragons/warriors, where he left the warriors and went to the dragons, was carrying a previous injury and the dragons cancelled the contract on medical grounds, because they were unaware of the injury and now the kid is on his own, injured and no club which means no income?

Anyway, it’s all hypothetical atm. Just looks messy.
1 of the many disconcerting things about signing a player so long in advance of him arriving to the club.

Nutz

Bench
1 of the many disconcerting things about signing a player so long in advance of him arriving to the club.
SmartSelect_20240116-100526_OfficeSuite.jpg
I hope everyone can read this.
There are reams of paper in the contract that will be very enjoyable reading I'm sure :)
As soon as I work out how to attach the whole contract I'll post it as a seperate topic.

Tigerm

Coach
View attachment 83342
There are reams of paper in the contract that will be very enjoyable reading I'm sure :)
As soon as I work out how to attach the whole contract I'll post it as a seperate topic.
Yes, I understand that, but it doesn’t help that we have lost the player, that we didn’t have to begin with and had made plans for.
It may not cost the club anything, except we don’t have the player, that we planned to have.
As I said, it’s all hypothetical atm, but it could happen to any club or player?

Nutz

Bench
Yes, I understand that, but it doesn’t help that we have lost the player, that we didn’t have to begin with and had made plans for.
It may not cost the club anything, except we don’t have the player, that we planned to have.
As I said, it’s all hypothetical atm, but it could happen to any club or player?
Yep gotcha mate.
If Luai gets a career ending injury then it's back to the original plan of having 4 halves to work with not 5. :)

Nutz

Bench
Let's not worry about Luai. As it stands we can't change the future.

There is a joke about this.... similarities between the joke and Luai is that we get so over the "will he" or "won't he" scenarios that when he finally gets here we tell him to buzz off.

Tigerm

Coach
Let's not worry about Luai. As it stands we can't change the future.

There is a joke about this.... similarities between the joke and Luai is that we get so over the "will he" or "won't he" scenarios that when he finally gets here we tell him to buzz off.
It’s not solely about him, but the stupidity of the contract arrangements they have created, they are fraught with problems. I’m surprised that they were allowed, that’s all.

Nutz

Bench
It’s not solely about him, but the stupidity of the contract arrangements they have created, they are fraught with problems. I’m surprised that they were allowed, that’s all.
There are flaws all right. That cooling off period irks me and is set to be scrapped and rewritten apparently.
I wonder how much money these cronies get paid to write this rubbish.
We've had over a century to get this stuff right and still stuff it up....like the ever changing rules.

murraymob

Coach
@Vic Mackey Just out of interest, if Luai (or any player) was to get a season ending injury this year, where do we stand?
I.E. Do we have an option to reassess him, or are we obligated to take him injured or not, next year?
Penrith pay for any injury this year while contracted after the grand final he becomes a tiger contracted player you then take over
The difference with Volkman is he is not now a nrl contracted player so no one is willing to pay

soc123_au

Staff member
View attachment 83342
Is that an NRL one?

I cant imagine that being right for a full time player.

My understanding of that clause is that if Luai did an ACL in this years GF then you could tear up his contract? As he wouldn't be able to play for the first 6 weeks the following year. That would be his 5 year deal and 6 mil gone in a puff of smoke. He would then spend a year on zip as his Penrith contract has expired. Then have to prove himself all over again to get a big contract once he has proven he has recovered, that means another year with whatever club will give him a deal, on bugger all in comparison at least.

If he resigned for us at 3 years and 850k he could do his ACL in this years GF and his 3 year money is coming no matter what. Only way out for the club is medical retirement, but Luai still gets paid.

Massive risk for a player to sign a year out under those terms, cant imagine the RLPA would go for that arrangement anyway. No player in his right mind would ever change clubs under that kind of deal unless they were on close to minimum or unwanted.

More likely I'd say once the contract is registered with the NRL after any cooling off periods, waivers etc, then you own him come what may.

I'd say in Volkmans case he got the release before the new deal was finalised. His management has f**ked up bigtime somewhere.

Hopefully all this is just shooting the shit anyway & Jerome arrives at Concord in 2025 healthy, fit and ready to rip in.

Tigerm

Coach
Penrith pay for any injury this year while contracted after the grand final he becomes a tiger contracted player you then take over
The difference with Volkman is he is not now a nrl contracted player so no one is willing to pay
Agree, but is a club (any club) obligated to take an injured player on, who was injured with another footy team?

If the player wasn’t in that condition when he was signed.

It’s just seems a grey area, not sure it has a good answer.

Volkman’s problem was, I understand he didn’t let the drags know, he had the injury, but the warriors knew and let him sign elsewhere.

Nutz

Bench
Is that an NRL one?

I cant imagine that being right for a full time player.

My understanding of that clause is that if Luai did an ACL in this years GF then you could tear up his contract? As he wouldn't be able to play for the first 6 weeks the following year. That would be his 5 year deal and 6 mil gone in a puff of smoke. He would then spend a year on zip as his Penrith contract has expired. Then have to prove himself all over again to get a big contract once he has proven he has recovered, that means another year with whatever club will give him a deal, on bugger all in comparison at least.

If he resigned for us at 3 years and 850k he could do his ACL in this years GF and his 3 year money is coming no matter what. Only way out for the club is medical retirement, but Luai still gets paid.

Massive risk for a player to sign a year out under those terms, cant imagine the RLPA would go for that arrangement anyway. No player in his right mind would ever change clubs under that kind of deal unless they were on close to minimum or unwanted.

More likely I'd say once the contract is registered with the NRL after any cooling off periods, waivers etc, then you own him come what may.

I'd say in Volkmans case he got the release before the new deal was finalised. His management has f**ked up bigtime somewhere.

Hopefully all this is just shooting the shit anyway & Jerome arrives at Concord in 2025 healthy, fit and ready to rip in.
NSWRL

Nutz

Bench
It's been said