What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Vic Mackey

Referee
Laurie has only shown enough to warrant a 1 year extension. He’s been with us for 2 years, the 1 year extension with take him til end of 2024 which is 4 years with the club. The bloke should really be backing himself to show that this year he deserves a longer one.

He’s shown some glimpses of good form but atm would be a 13th/14th best fullback in the game. Then you consider some clubs like sharks have back ups like Lachie Miller, Kade Dykes who have probably shown as much as he has. Further more players like Joey Manu, Selwyn Cobbo, Herbie Farnworth, Reuben Garrick are currently playing other positions yet spoken about fullback being their preference.

The club is doing the right thing, if another club is stupid enough to throw him 3 years then let him take it, he is hardly irreplaceable.

Tigerm

Coach
Laurie has only shown enough to warrant a 1 year extension. He’s been with us for 2 years, the 1 year extension with take him til end of 2024 which is 4 years with the club. The bloke should really be backing himself to show that this year he deserves a longer one.

He’s shown some glimpses of good form but atm would be a 13th/14th best fullback in the game. Then you consider some clubs like sharks have back ups like Lachie Miller, Kade Dykes who have probably shown as much as he has. Further more players like Joey Manu, Selwyn Cobbo, Herbie Farnworth, Reuben Garrick are currently playing other positions yet spoken about fullback being their preference.

The club is doing the right thing, if another club is stupid enough to throw him 3 years then let him take it, he is hardly irreplaceable.
Agree, though most of this season’s players, who helped get us the spoon, don’t have too many rights to be confident in deserving on being here?

Last edited:
I think Laurie has shown just enough under the trying conditions of complete rubbish forward defence to command 3 years at a sensible price.

Fullback is the loneliest position on the field and he’s been one of the few to cheer about.

The line has been a turn style and Dane has been under unnatural pressure, shock and awe from all angles.

He’s not a super man, but neither is Edwards.

He needs a bit of work, decent size and skills training, but the heart is willing, plus he has an attacking interest.

He’d be one of the few I’d take a bet on, just my opinion.

Some weight should also be given to the fact that the club is rarely making good decisions these days.

But fairly put, @Vic Mackey has probably forgotten more about footy than I will ever know.

Last edited:

Wizardman

First Grade
I think Laurie has shown just enough under the trying conditions of complete rubbish forward defence to command 3 years at a sensible price.

Fullback is the loneliest position on the field and he’s been one of the few to cheer about.

The line has been a turn style and Dane has been under unnatural pressure, shock and awe from all angles.

He’s not a super man, but neither is Edwards.

He needs a bit of work, decent size and skills training, but the heart is willing, plus he has an attacking interest.

He’d be one of the few I’d take a bet on, just my opinion.

Some weight should also be given to the fact that the club is rarely making good decisions these days.

But fairly put, @Vic Mackey has probably forgotten more about footy than I will ever know.
I know there were some factors but Laurie played pretty poorly for the first half of the year. I think one year is very much the right call here.

I know there were some factors but Laurie played pretty poorly for the first half of the year. I think one year is very much the right call here.

He had a few slips, but I see something.

Given the weight of opinion, I’ll slink down to 2 years and be done with it.

But I’m not running with the wolves on this one.

When the club gets the basics right, I’ll start trusting them again.

The latest garbage is the mystery marquee signing nonsense, who’s going to sign on?

Staines is it ffs.

The next immortal, viscount Charlesworth Staynes-Mountbatten the 3rd of County Dubbo.

Last edited:
We should be wining and dining as many of these player manager cretins as we possibly can.

We are coming to a year without a signing.

Not even a Brisbane Muppet.

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
I like Laurie, but it is a bit of a conundrum. Is fullback his long term aspirations? I heard talk of him wanting to move to 6 (not sure if it's true), so this would factor into the decision making.

I really hope he stays with us, as I'd love to see how he performs behind a stronger pack and more consistent halves combination.

Vic Mackey

Referee
I'll always respect Paul Sironen's contribution to the Balmain Tigers but his sons are just not nrl first graders. Curtis had a brief patch of good form at Manly but most of his stint there was of him on the sidelines towards the end. He also was quite negative about the Tigers so.......a big no from me.

is this a serious rumour?