What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

simmo05

Bench
I'd give the recruitment drive an A, from what the Shennius / Benji, and Madge before them, have achieved. We've only ever been able to attract 1 name player per year and it's because of that they've fallen into the tigers trap of playing like they'd checked out and not giving a shit. With 4 new quality players, plus Staines could make it 5, it's more likely the current players will lift their game. For the first time in years I'm pumped for the season to start. I still don't expect to make the 8, but we could. But in the words of Morgan 'Red' Freeman, hope can be a dangerous thing......
The last time I was this pumped I put a grand on them to make the 8, and we came 9th

Phil Gould

Juniors
Most of the players they got rid of were dead wood, to be polite. Most, if not all, of the signings were good to very good. Bateman is probably the biggest dice roll but you gotta roll the dice sometimes. The biggest problem is they got rid of Hastings and now the team is without any depth or proven performance in the halves. I think everyone can agree on that. Everything depends on Brooks now. Sink or swim.

Tigerm

First Grade
Most of the players they got rid of were dead wood, to be polite. Most, if not all, of the signings were good to very good. Bateman is probably the biggest dice roll but you gotta roll the dice sometimes. The biggest problem is they got rid of Hastings and now the team is without any depth or proven performance in the halves. I think everyone can agree on that. Everything depends on Brooks now. Sink or swim.
Agree, plus the fact that the Sheenius isn’t coaching for a career, so while the signings have been great, we could certainly stall because of the halves debacle and no one can do anything about it?

For me, he comes across that he thinks he can do the impossible with some players and it gets him into trouble, when it doesn’t happen.

Hopefully though, not another season lost🥲

WA Tiger

Bench
Madges lack of coaching ability needs to be considered when predicting how ‘23 will go. Blindly forcing his methods onto the team with no understanding of the art of player empowerment. Being unable to see issues that needed fixing and the need for tact when he did see them. Combined with not knowing when to let go when letting go is a better option. You’d think that’s improved with the new coaching staff

For so long we’ve had a crack the whip style of coach similar to Justine Langer, that resulted in an uninspiring work environment and an inability to get the best out of players.....

Some of course will sing Madges praises, despite 3 years of deteriorating results, even when we thought it couldn't get any worse. Some loved his crack the whip style and doubted the importance or accuracy of reports on his “bulldog” type methods. But that style doesn’t work. And where there’s smoke there’s usually fire.

Also there have been no signs Madges tone deafness and his inability to read the room ever improved. Right to the end, when sheens said Madge didn’t listen to anything he said…

I also think that Sheens future not hanging on the results could mean less pressure and be a good thing. Also Sheens renewing his combination with Furner, that he had when he was the aussie coach, that he’s had success with and he obviously feels comfortable with, could help.

Considering that we are wooden spooners not top 4, you can’t be too ambitious with player recruitment. I’m thinking we’ve done well with potentially star power across the park. Including little mentioned will smith, who looks dangerous and can fit in anywhere in the backline including centre and the halves

As much as anything else we have desperately lacked real leadership and experience in tough situations from the players. This looks to have improved, you could nearly say dramatically.

Hopefully the incoming recruits and coach will make up for the complete lack of knowledge, courage and decisiveness from the board and club management

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Just had a look at the odds to make the 8, $4.50. I think I’ll wait a few weeks, although they’ll probably win the first few games just to truely set the hook before losing the next 10 straight.
What’s top 4 paying?..Disregard. Prob no such bet anyway. $4.50 That’s quite a compliment

Last edited:

Das Hassler

Bench
Top 4 is between 13.00 and 17.00. The 8 will be at 3.50 or lower by Rnd 1....probably sooner if we land a Grade A back before preseason

WA Tiger

Bench
Top 4 is between 13.00 and 17.00. The 8 will be at 3.50 or lower by Rnd 1....probably sooner if we land a Grade A back before preseason
Thanks for that Das.. Have to go top 4 to make it worthwhile. And $50 if and when I can spare it. Although that’s not a definite .... Surely $13-17 could only increase? Maybe not.
We saw it happen last year with the cowboys and a new coach… Shit just imagine if everything clicked. And our pack started bullying all the opposition teams..haha

Last edited:

WA Tiger

Bench
Thanks for that Das.. Have to go top 4 to make it worthwhile. And $50 if and when I can spare it. Although that’s not a definite .... Surely $13-17 could only increase? Maybe not.
We saw it happen last year with the cowboys and a new coach… Shit just imagine if everything clicked. And our pack started bullying all the opposition teams..haha
You’d have to place that top 4 bet before Moses arrives tho! Weather or not he’s coming. Although I doubt he’d want to be coached by a rookie..
He’s for ‘24 isn’t he.. I always get that wrong

Last edited:

BrotherJim05

Bench
Keep seeing articles that N. Brown is a done deal at Tigers, which will leave 1 spot open for 2023. My assumption is that spot will remain open for any mid-season players becoming available, but either way...holy shit our forward pack is looking good.

I don't see Brown playing long minutes, but I have a feeling he will be the resident lunatic, screaming off the bench and wacking the shit out of blokes who don't yet take us seriously. No doubt he will spend some time suspended but it will be good to see a Tiger's player putting some genuine fear into our opposition.

Hopefully the rumours are true!

Ned Kelly

Juniors
Keep seeing articles that N. Brown is a done deal at Tigers, which will leave 1 spot open for 2023. My assumption is that spot will remain open for any mid-season players becoming available, but either way...holy shit our forward pack is looking good.

I don't see Brown playing long minutes, but I have a feeling he will be the resident lunatic, screaming off the bench and wacking the shit out of blokes who don't yet take us seriously. No doubt he will spend some time suspended but it will be good to see a Tiger's player putting some genuine fear into our opposition.

Hopefully the rumours are true!
I fell for reading the same stuff but articles one day later say Sheens has got all the forwards he needs and is focused on signing an outside back. I guess Nathan Brown is a chance if it turns out the backs we were chasing are no chance of signing.

Anyway I never thought our forwards would improve so much in such a short time. If we improve our backs to the same degree next year then Whoo Hoo!

Nice to believe that next year we will pass the title of the NRL's basket case to some other team.

Tigerm

First Grade
I fell for reading the same stuff but articles one day later say Sheens has got all the forwards he needs and is focused on signing an outside back. I guess Nathan Brown is a chance if it turns out the backs we were chasing are no chance of signing.

Anyway I never thought our forwards would improve so much in such a short time. If we improve our backs to the same degree next year then Whoo Hoo!

Nice to believe that next year we will pass the title of the NRL's basket case to some other team.
Don’t forget, he knows (probably taught him) Phil Gould, who likes talking in riddles? He isn’t called Shifty for nothing?

Latest posts