What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tiger Ted

Bench

‘We’re confident’: Penrith’s bold bid to keep both Dylan Edwards and Jarome Luai​

Who should we throw the bank at? Luai for me, but Edwars would be a great catch as well?
Edwards & I’ve give him the captaincy.Has integrity in spades a great player great leader great role model

WA Tiger

Bench
Gents, if you remember back to last year and the ‘other basket cases’ there was plenty of paper talk about what coach was next to go or 1st to go this year.

Holbrook at the Titans and O’Brien at the Knights have certainly got their teams playing so much better. Payton at the Cowboys certainly not going as good.

It’s only 7 rounds in but maybe it really does take a season for some players to gel under a new coach.

Although Webster at the Warriors has his team performing way beyond expectation.
Ain’t it a mystery

Wizardman

First Grade

‘We’re confident’: Penrith’s bold bid to keep both Dylan Edwards and Jarome Luai​

Who should we throw the bank at? Luai for me, but Edwars would be a great catch as well?
No contest for me.....Edwards. I reckon Luai will take less and stay for the same reason Jarome Hughes stayed at Melbourne.....both would be lost outside the systems they are in.

For what its worth, I think they will keep Edwards as well.

BrotherJim05

Bench
Definitely Edwards but I think Penrith will find a way to keep both. They've already shed a lot of players so I'd be extremely surprised if they don't retain both.

macnaz

Staff member
There are rumours on the Souths forums that we are after Taffe , not sure he would solve our halves issue ..he seems more of a utility player to me . ?

Tigerm

Coach
There are rumours on the Souths forums that we are after Taffe , not sure he would solve our halves issue ..he seems more of a utility player to me . ?
His profile from the Souths web site.

Height:179 cm
Date of Birth:21 April 1999
Weight:85 kg
Birthplace:Sydney, NSW
Nickname:-
Debut Club:South Sydney Rabbitohs
Date:12 June 2021
Opposition:Brisbane Broncos
Round:15
Previous Club:-
Junior Clubs:La Perouse Panthers, The Entrance Tigers
Biography:
Cool, calm and collected, Blake Taaffe created history in 2021 by becoming the least-experience player to feature in a Grand Final with just eight caps to his name. Able to play at fullback and in the halves at a pinch, Taaffe has risen through the Club’s pathways system and was named man of the match in the Jersey Flegg side’s Grand Final victory in 2019.

Career/​

APPEARANCES20
TRIES3

2023 Season/​

APPEARANCES2

SCORING​

TRIES0

KICKING​

FORCED DROP OUTS0
AVERAGE KICKING METRES0

ATTACK​

TRY ASSISTS0
LINE BREAK ASSISTS0

PASSING​

OFFLOADS0
RECEIPTS6

DEFENCE​

TACKLES MADE10
TACKLE EFFICIENCY
Tackle Efficiency90.9%

RUNNING METRES​

AVERAGE RUNNING METRES10
TOTAL RUNNING METRES20

Seems another young kid without any real experience, I think we have them already.
IMO, we need a smart hard head, similar to what we gave away last year?

Tiger Ted

Bench
We should b chasing Hawkins instead of taffe.Imo he’s better than Ilias & a standout half in nsw cup who is to good for lower grades.

Tigerm

Coach
We should b chasing Hawkins instead of taffe.Imo he’s better than Ilias & a standout half in nsw cup who is to good for lower grades.
Height:180 cm
Date of Birth:10 March 1999
Weight:78 kg
Birthplace:Randwick, NSW
Nickname:Hawko
Debut Club:South Sydney Rabbitohs
Date:08 April 2021
Opposition:-
Round:-
Previous Club:-
Junior Club:Matraville Tigers
Biography:
A local junior hailing from the Matraville Tigers, Dean Hawkins earned his debut in Round 5, when he came off the bench against the Brisbane Broncos. A student of the game with accurate kicking skills, Hawkins is just one of the many players that will have a chance at securing the number 7 jersey in 2022.

Career/​

APPEARANCES4
TRIES0

Tigerm

Coach
It’s started, a feeding frenzy, we are going to get associated with every player in the NRL.

Wests Tigers set sights on playmaking duo​

That would almost see him gone for the entirety of 2024. As much as I don't rate him highly as a player you don't want to see that happen.

From a Tigers stand point we shouldn't re-sign him. It's gonna look shit but it's a decision we need to make. He's slow as a wet weekend now and has poor / slow movement in defence. He'll be twice as bad upon his eventual return.

Any chance of some salary cap dispensation? Is there any precedent for this sort thing or can we add another player to the roster? My gut tells me no to the $$$ but possibly granted another roster spot.

gordsy

Juniors
f**k the bad press for letting AD and his I want 800 rubbish go, he is massively over rated and his knee is stuffed for good. Let's say he comes back in 14 months, that's june next year. So that would mean that's your getting a stop gap half till midway through 2024 because you think he has so much talent or is such a special player it's worth doing that.

Did anyone see Phil Gould's comments on that facebook thingy about Daine Laurie? Mate sent it to me,

"I believe he's a 6. He was always going to be a 6. If you watched his junior rep football, he needed to be developed and given the tools play 6. He's never been comfortable at fullback. They just played him (at fullback) because they had plenty of halves"

Gould and Sheens are old friends from their days at Penrith and believe he (Gould) is not backwards in offering opinions and supporting other coaches so I wouldn't be surprised if Laurie is next in line now to play in the halves.

Is Benji the 'tool' (I mean the right type of tool there) to get him to be a 6 or 7?

I for one would like to see him given a go.

simmo1

First Grade
Laurie has shown pretty much no ball playing (aside from the occasional cut out ball to a winder), has a non-existent kicking game and a poor defender. If he has always been a 6, he has hidden it very well in his time at Wests Tigers.

Former Junior Kiwis captain Manaia Cherrington has rejoined the Wests Tigers - effective immediately.

A talented hooker who played 16 games for the club in 2015-16, Cherrington has spent the past couple of seasons at Ipswich in the Queensland Cup.

The 28-year-old has moved back to Sydney for personal reasons and will add depth to the Tigers in the hooking spot behind Api Koroisau and Jake Simpkin.

He will start his second coming at the Tigers in the NSW Cup but is expected to put pressure on Simpkin for the back-up hooking role as the season unfolds.

Didn't see that one coming, perhaps Simpkin could start training with a 7 on his back.

Pezz70

Juniors
Did anyone see Phil Gould's comments on that facebook thingy about Daine Laurie? Mate sent it to me,

"I believe he's a 6. He was always going to be a 6. If you watched his junior rep football, he needed to be developed and given the tools play 6. He's never been comfortable at fullback. They just played him (at fullback) because they had plenty of halves"

Gould and Sheens are old friends from their days at Penrith and believe he (Gould) is not backwards in offering opinions and supporting other coaches so I wouldn't be surprised if Laurie is next in line now to play in the halves.

Is Benji the 'tool' (I mean the right type of tool there) to get him to be a 6 or 7?

I for one would like to see him given a go.
Speaking of Benji, I heard some concerning info about a wests training session where they were practicing some backline moves, talk about a few things and then Benjis remark to the boys was ‘just do what you want.’

Last edited: