What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Tigerm

Coach
Well, he is still under contract to us and we owe your club no favours. You’ve done this shit to us previously.
I might also add, your recruitment & retention committee (if you have one) should be sacked, I can’t imagine how they thought letting so many players go, wasn’t going to be trouble? Now they want a forward from the spooners? Your current squad must be stoked. Master stroke.

Last edited:
In true tigers style I will predict exactly what will happen here. Ofa plays for us this weekend and blows out his ACL and Parramatta withdraw their offer. Then we're stuck with his rehab costs. After a year he comes back and blows out his ACL again first game. We pay for a player we didn't want until the end of 2025.

This is madness. What can he add this weekend that Sayfarth can't. f**k me this is capital S f**king stupid.

Ron's_Mate

Bench
The 15 reasons Luke Brooks should baulk at fresh Tigers extension
By Christian Nicolussi
May 19, 2023 — 3.51pm

When you ask Luke Brooks to guess how many halves partners he has had in his 199 games for the Wests Tigers, he almost nails it.

“I’d say 10, maybe 15,” Brooks says.

For those playing at home, the magical number is 15: Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Mitchell Moses, Chris Lawrence, Tui Lolohea, Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds, Tyson Gamble, Ryan Matterson, Moses Mbye, Adam Doueihi, Billy Walters, Jock Madden, Jackson Hastings and now Brandon Wakeham.

“Bloody hell, there have been some coaches in there, too,” Brooks joked.

Brooks has long polarised Tigers fans, mainly because of his hefty price tag in recent years, but the lack of opportunity to forge a long-term halves combination – like Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai at Penrith, or even Parramatta’s Moses and Dylan Brown – is often lost on supporters.

Coach Tim Sheens confirmed on Friday the Tigers would offer a new contract to Brooks in the next fortnight. The plan is to keep him at the joint venture for at least another two years.

“I’m keen to keep him happy and keep him here – if we can make that happen, that’s what I want,” Sheens said. “I’ve spoken to his agent, the club has spoken to his agent, we will be making the kid an offer, and I hope it’s enough – not only the offer, but also Brooksy’s attitude about playing here. That’s important as well. It won’t be for an extra year, put it that way.”

Brooks has a young daughter and is unlikely to entertain a move to the Super League yet. Unlocking a permanent halves partner, preferably a controlling half that allows him to embrace his running game, would be ideal.

“When you look at the different halves [partners], it does make it hard to find a bit of consistency, and that’s all you want as a half,” Brooks said. “If you look at that list, they were all different players.

“Benji was the most experienced player – he had that aura about him, and it took the pressure off me.

“Mitch [Moses] and I came through the grades together, and because we had played so much footy together, we knew what worked for each other. It was a shame he moved on, but there’s nothing you can do now.

“‘Wakey’ [Wakeham] has come in and the last few weeks we’ve focused on our kicking game, and that’s helped the team.

“We have a good pack going forward and we’ve worked out what works for us as a side.”

The Tigers host North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday evening. Cowboys coach Todd Payten, a former Tigers prop, has always admired Sheens – and pinched a few of his trick plays since becoming a head coach.

Forward Joe Ofahengaue underwent a medical with Parramatta on Thursday, and is on the brink of inking a two-and-a-half year deal with the blue and golds, but Sheens said the club was never going to cut him loose before the weekend, regardless of what the Eels privately claimed.

“There was an approach by Parramatta to us, but I’m not considering anything until next week and we get him through this game,” said Sheens, who will start Ofahengaue against the Cowboys.

“I understand those [medical checks] are part of the process. But we haven’t released him, and he’s playing this week.”

Pushed on whether Parramatta would get their man after the Leichhardt game, Sheens said: “I’m not saying that at all. We’ll decide on that next week.

“They were hoping to get him this weekend, but it’s not happening. There’s nothing going on until next week. Joe is fine. In fact, he’s starting tomorrow.”

Tigerm

Coach
The 15 reasons Luke Brooks should baulk at fresh Tigers extension
By Christian Nicolussi
May 19, 2023 — 3.51pm

When you ask Luke Brooks to guess how many halves partners he has had in his 199 games for the Wests Tigers, he almost nails it.

“I’d say 10, maybe 15,” Brooks says.

For those playing at home, the magical number is 15: Braith Anasta, Blake Austin, Mitchell Moses, Chris Lawrence, Tui Lolohea, Benji Marshall, Josh Reynolds, Tyson Gamble, Ryan Matterson, Moses Mbye, Adam Doueihi, Billy Walters, Jock Madden, Jackson Hastings and now Brandon Wakeham.

“Bloody hell, there have been some coaches in there, too,” Brooks joked.

Brooks has long polarised Tigers fans, mainly because of his hefty price tag in recent years, but the lack of opportunity to forge a long-term halves combination – like Nathan Cleary and Jarome Luai at Penrith, or even Parramatta’s Moses and Dylan Brown – is often lost on supporters.

Coach Tim Sheens confirmed on Friday the Tigers would offer a new contract to Brooks in the next fortnight. The plan is to keep him at the joint venture for at least another two years.

“I’m keen to keep him happy and keep him here – if we can make that happen, that’s what I want,” Sheens said. “I’ve spoken to his agent, the club has spoken to his agent, we will be making the kid an offer, and I hope it’s enough – not only the offer, but also Brooksy’s attitude about playing here. That’s important as well. It won’t be for an extra year, put it that way.”

Brooks has a young daughter and is unlikely to entertain a move to the Super League yet. Unlocking a permanent halves partner, preferably a controlling half that allows him to embrace his running game, would be ideal.

“When you look at the different halves [partners], it does make it hard to find a bit of consistency, and that’s all you want as a half,” Brooks said. “If you look at that list, they were all different players.

“Benji was the most experienced player – he had that aura about him, and it took the pressure off me.

“Mitch [Moses] and I came through the grades together, and because we had played so much footy together, we knew what worked for each other. It was a shame he moved on, but there’s nothing you can do now.

“‘Wakey’ [Wakeham] has come in and the last few weeks we’ve focused on our kicking game, and that’s helped the team.

“We have a good pack going forward and we’ve worked out what works for us as a side.”

The Tigers host North Queensland at Leichhardt Oval on Saturday evening. Cowboys coach Todd Payten, a former Tigers prop, has always admired Sheens – and pinched a few of his trick plays since becoming a head coach.

Forward Joe Ofahengaue underwent a medical with Parramatta on Thursday, and is on the brink of inking a two-and-a-half year deal with the blue and golds, but Sheens said the club was never going to cut him loose before the weekend, regardless of what the Eels privately claimed.

“There was an approach by Parramatta to us, but I’m not considering anything until next week and we get him through this game,” said Sheens, who will start Ofahengaue against the Cowboys.

“I understand those [medical checks] are part of the process. But we haven’t released him, and he’s playing this week.”

Pushed on whether Parramatta would get their man after the Leichhardt game, Sheens said: “I’m not saying that at all. We’ll decide on that next week.

“They were hoping to get him this weekend, but it’s not happening. There’s nothing going on until next week. Joe is fine. In fact, he’s starting tomorrow.”

Does anyone else think there is maybe something suspicious about this, it appears that Sheens wants him and it sounds like he hasn't deferred this to the new NRL recruitment manager (as far as I know), you know the new bloke who kicked his (Sheens) mate to the kerb?

Shredder

Juniors
On the bright side, if we are considering letting him go mid season, I guess that means we have another player lined up?

Ofa has been great for us and I'm surprised he didn't play more this year, but the rest of the starting pack don't leave space for him.

I’m now convinced that Harry T and the Blue Wiggle are out of the picture when it comes to being or potentially being the primary benefactor of the Tigers.

It has to Brooks ole man.

Tigerm

Coach

Kent getting a serve from the Panthers, great to see.

Is Tim’s time up?​

It’s a whisper that won’t got away: Tim Sheens to finish up at the end of this year as first-grade coach and step back into a head of football role at Wests Tigers. His work ethic and football knowledge are unquestioned, but his ability to relate to the playing group – who are now 40 to 50 years his junior – is an issue for some of the players.

Sheens’ appointment was inspired by a lunch involving NewsCorp journalists, but they spent the first two winless months of the season trying to distance themselves from it as the Tigers lurched from one issue to the next.

Media not Api​

Wests Tigers have never had a comfortable relationship with the media. It’s not being helped by their own media department. The Tigers have an in-house media unit that insists on filming media conferences from a position that doesn’t suit the mainstream cameramen. The situation is so bad that the networks united and filmed media conferences from an angle that meant the club’s sponsors would not get a run, as with this shot of Api Koroisau. It may not be a one-off, either.

Not sure what this one is about?

Ron's_Mate

Bench
I don't get the reasoning behind letting big Joe go to the Eels mid season, it just doesn't make sense to me.
How do the WT benefit from this situation salary cap aside as there does not appear to be a player swap involved.
I'm just guessing, but wondered if it was to facilitate getting Schuster across from Manly.

Tigerm

Coach
I'm just guessing, but wondered if it was to facilitate getting Schuster across from Manly.
You'd certainly hope they're getting someone?
But that's a good call, we are going to need another half, imo. I think Dooee will be lucky to make it back from his injury and be effective?

Tigerm

Coach
After that performance from Brooks I want to see him stick around another year at least.

Credit where credit is due he was fkn outstanding
Sheens has already said it will be more than a year, I'm sure everyone will be happy if he can get near to reproducing that form most games.
I believe we now have a side developing to be capable of getting to the finals, it has only been Brooks lack of game awareness that has been weak link imo.