What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

Well, I reckon with that answer Tim gave the CEO, Board and Chairman should ask him to step down as coach ad return to his previous role and get a new coach and put the Marshall succession thing out til the new coachs reign ends. Marshal can be the assistant for newbie.

He coveted the role or he wouldn’t have taken it.

He’s full of shit.

And now he has the role, he’s f**king it up big time.

Karma.

But why is Gallen the best journo in the NRL?

On the same weekend the Wests Tigers unveil debutant No.1 Jahream Bula, the club’s one-time preferred fullback Daine Laurie confirmed he will return to reserve grade in a bid to reinvent himself as a five-eighth.

The Tigers elevated Bula to their full-time squad and extended him through until the end of 2025 as he prepares for Sunday’s clash against Manly.

Laurie was expected to play in the same game off the bench, his first NRL appearance since round three, but told the Herald he would feature in the curtain-raiser – and in the halves.

Phil Gould last week said on social media Laurie’s best position was at No.6, and coach Tim Sheens – who is now without Adam Doueihi for the rest of the year because of a knee injury – is happy to give him his chance.

“I’m looking forward to playing No.6. It’s the same as fullback, but I’ll be standing in the front line and will need to make a few more tackles,” Laurie said.

“I’m excited. Growing up I was always a five-eighth until I came into SG Ball at Penrith.

It’s a new challenge, but I’m up for it and we’ll see how we go.”

Laurie then joked, “I might even play a bit like Cody Walker”, the South Sydney gun who is also his uncle.

Laurie started the season as the club’s preferred fullback, but the Tigers have since used Charlie Staines and Doueihi, and have now turned to the rookie they hope can be the long-term No.1. Laurie remains off-contract at season’s end.

Sheens said Laurie had all the attributes to succeed in the halves.

“He’s been running around here sometimes as a halfback during drills,” Sheens said after training on Thursday.
“We’ve decided to have a look at him in the position, particularly with Adam down, and we’re getting skinny in the halves.

“He has good feet, he can tackle, he’s played there before, and the No.1 in real terms is the third halfback in your team.

“He has aggression, and physically he’s a lot bigger than what he was when he first arrived here. There’s every chance he plays well there and gets a chance to play there [in the NRL]. There’s a lot of footy still to be played.”

Bula, a Keebra Park High School graduate, was rated one of the best trainers over the summer, with Sheens telling the Herald at the start of the year: “Jahream Bula will be a kid who comes out of nowhere.”

Laurie said of his fullback successor: “He’s a freak. You’ll definitely know his name after this game. He’s fit, fast, tall and lanky, but he’ll be on, I’m telling you.”

Brandon Wakeham and Luke Brooks, who are both off contract at season’s end, will be the NRL starting halves against Manly.

The Tigers suffered an injury scare with centre AJ Kepaoa failing to finish training and with his right ankle heavily iced.
Meanwhile, former Western Suburbs Magpies player John Dorahy has joined the Wests Tigers board of directors with Simon Cook stepping down after serving on the board for the past seven years.

Tigerm

First Grade
The next unelected fat snouted matey steps up.

What is Dorahy’s qualification? Lee’s third cousin

Back to the future, again, another f**king dinosaur sucking on the wounded tiger.

Another step backwards by our f**k-faced leaching cretins in management.

Haven’t these brain dead impotent f**kwits done enough?

Mr Cook:

At least this punk resigned over the fiasco.

The only real man on the board.

Let the bodies hit the floor.

What is Dorahy’s qualification?

I think his resume is an ideal fit for a role like this, his experience and skill set imo, are exactly the type of person we would want, change will take time unfortunately, there will be no quick fix or magical silver bullet to get us out of the current mess we are in. I don’t think Santa wanted the gig?

“Dorahy enjoyed a highly decorated playing career amassing 239 first grade games across 15 seasons, including 102 for the Magpies between 1974 and 1979.

He also has a wealth of experience in coaching, having coached for six seasons in the UK Super League, at Wigan and Warrington.

John also brings significant business acumen to the club, having served on several boards, including Wollongong City Council, Leagues Clubs Australia, Wests Leagues Illawarra and Venues NSW.”

Last edited:

Ned Kelly

Juniors
What is Dorahy’s qualification?

I think his resume is an ideal fit for a role like this, his experience and skill set imo, are exactly the type of person we would want, change will take time unfortunately, there will be no quick fix or magical silver bullet to get us out of the current mess we are in. I don’t think Santa wanted the gig?

“Dorahy enjoyed a highly decorated playing career amassing 239 first grade games across 15 seasons, including 102 for the Magpies between 1974 and 1979.

He also has a wealth of experience in coaching, having coached for six seasons in the UK Super League, at Wigan and Warrington.

John also brings significant business acumen to the club, having served on several boards, including Wollongong City Council, Leagues Clubs Australia, Wests Leagues Illawarra and Venues NSW.”
Now, if we can replace all the other board members with people of knowledge of what is needed to run a football club I will start to believe that a 10 year plan may work.

Tigerm

First Grade
Now, if we can replace all the other board members with people of knowledge of what is needed to run a football club I will start to believe that a 10 year plan may work.
That’s one small step for……….well we all know the rest.

Tigerm

First Grade
Apparently Danny Weilder is reporting Wighton, is going to Souths?
They must of got the Easts accountant on board?

Bruz

Juniors

Didn't see that one coming, perhaps Simpkin could start training with a 7 on his ba

Didn't see that one coming, perhaps Simpkin could start training with a 7 on his back.
Yeah I doubt he will be a threat its only a cup deal , and he has struggled to make the starting side for the Ipswich jets in Qcup who are running last , have heard the knights were chasing Simpkin on a loan deal but tigers wont release him

BrotherJim05

Bench
If Wighton signs with Souths then I would do the following (in order)
1. Don't re-sign Brooks or Doeuihi. Tell Brooks he is free to leave early if he wants
2. Throw Graham an offer he can't refuse. He's the type of player that can score on complete individual effort and has arguably the best defense of any backline player in NRL
3. Throw Lewis Dodd (from St. Helens) an offer he also can't refuse. From what I understand he is an out and out organizing halfback, kicks goals, only 21 years old and wants to cut his teeth in NRL. With Graham coming on board we could really sell the idea that we have put a quality team together and a good halfback is the missing piece of the puzzle
4. Give Laurie the starting 6 position and tell him if he can prove he's first grade quality at 6 he will be in the box seat to partner Dodd next year.
5. Re-sign Wakeham as depth. Rotate between him and Brooks at 7 (whatever works best for Laurie)
6. Sheenius to spin his grand finale of spins. That he was testing all kinds of nonsense purposefully because of etc etc etc and that this pre-season is "Benji's pre-season" and will be taking on more etc et etc

It really all hinges on Graham imo. Easier said than done but when you have the cap space we will have after Brooks and Doueihi leaving then it may be easier than we think

Tigerm

First Grade
Apparently Danny Weilder is reporting Wighton, is going to Souths?
They must of got the Easts accountant on board?
Wighton will probably be in the halves?
We need one, maybe Cody Walker will want to come and play with his nephew?