What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours (signings, sackings & other NRL stuff)

WA Tiger

Bench

He is currently coaching Argentina in the 2023 Rugby Union World Cup, not 12 months after leading Lebanon to its best ever result at the Rugby League World Cup at the end of last year.

Andrew Voss believes Cheika would be a big “asset to the game of rugby league” and worth a club taking a flyer and hiring him in some capacity.

“I am firmly in the Michael Cheika camp. I think he would be an asset to the game of rugby league, on what I witnessed at the Rugby League World Cup last year,” Voss said on his SEN breakfast show.

“All the feedback I got from people like Mitchell Moses (Lebanon halfback) who said he’d never heard as impressive a speaker at halftime, pregame, build up than Michael Cheika.

“He’s got a bit to offer as a man-manager.”

Shredder

Juniors
I can see what we are doing here with the front office, but its a flawed plan.

Everyone says we have no identity, so lets stack the team with guys from the only premiership win we ever had. Unfortunately in our case its a flawed premise. None of these guys have gone onto other clubs and made a decent name for themselves.

They were all predominantly coached by the coach we have just let go for the third time.

At least Morris has held a top job before.

I think we have the best forward pack we have ever had and we have made the right steps in the spine. I have little no faith in Benji as a coach and I genuinely believe they hired Morris as an assistant specifically to take over if it all turns to shit. Cheika would be a good get, mainly because he DOESNT come out of this system.

Lets see how we recruit in the outside backs and how we are placed in the middle of the year.

On paper, I think next year we should be 10th to 14th, but a good offseason with some decent coaching could see us better.

WA Tiger

Bench
I can see what we are doing here with the front office, but its a flawed plan.

Everyone says we have no identity, so lets stack the team with guys from the only premiership win we ever had. Unfortunately in our case its a flawed premise. None of these guys have gone onto other clubs and made a decent name for themselves.

They were all predominantly coached by the coach we have just let go for the third time.

At least Morris has held a top job before.

I think we have the best forward pack we have ever had and we have made the right steps in the spine. I have little no faith in Benji as a coach and I genuinely believe they hired Morris as an assistant specifically to take over if it all turns to shit. Cheika would be a good get, mainly because he DOESNT come out of this system.

Lets see how we recruit in the outside backs and how we are placed in the middle of the year.

On paper, I think next year we should be 10th to 14th, but a good offseason with some decent coaching could see us better.
Im assuming it’s Heighingtons first attempt at any form of assistant coaching..Im sure players that finish their careers don’t have ready made assistant coaching positions waiting for them if they decide to try it..and it’s prob sometimes a hard decision to try coaching and maybe circumstances dictate that they try after a couple of years away from the game ….at least H had a go at the entry level “fitness guy” this year. And he’s got the players respect which is a good start.

The problem with going off how first timers do at other clubs as assistants or head coaches first is, if they show promise there they will be locked down there for years, if they arnt already & ID’ing a good first grade coach even when they are good assistants can be a lottery look at the Penrith bulldogs connection x2

At least we’re giving our boys a shot. Morris will be a hell of a resource for Benji. More than just an option to go to if Benji fails. But if he does fail then yes Morris will be ready to go…But even Morris isn’t a sure thing..
And who’s to say Heighington isn’t the Gem that WT uncovered as a master stroke. A lot of good coaches come out of nowhere. You just have to give them a shot.

This is all about giving Benji the best shot at succeeding. As Webster the coach said he’s earnt the right. And for all those years of lighting up the NRL for WT like no other who can argue with the gesture…If we saw it happen at another club would we be writing them off so quickly with nothing more than a hunch..Anyway, God knows we’ve tried every other bastard under the sun

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade
And for good measure

John Morris: Leo/ Monkey = Ferret

Ditto
I don’t think zodiac signs will mean too much, what ever way it turns out?

Though we’ve had some good coaches and reasonable assistants and have come last for the past 2 seasons, so we have nothing to lose, who knows, it may work?

Tigerm

First Grade

This comes after the Tigers have reportedly enquired about the likes of Peter Parr and Frank Ponissi - two of the most respected heads of football in the sport - from their respective clubs and Parramatta Eels Head of Football Mark O'Neill.

Either of those two would be huge gets imo.

Nutz

Bench

Inside Kevvie’s old boys ploy and Broncos lesson that healed ‘wounded’ powerhouse​

Worth a try imo?
Or as club legend Steve Renouf put it, the players have “learnt what it means to be a Brisbane Bronco.”
What are our players going to learn from being a tiger?
Coming last for two years meant that player vaves like my Twally are shown the door.
Recruiting players that have tasted success seems to be our target.
So should our board and administrators.
The chasing of Michael Checker Board seems odd because his sucess was limited and that seems to have clouded our judgement. Surely the job requirements would be more academic rather that someone who is good at throwing the pen down???

Tigerm

First Grade
Or as club legend Steve Renouf put it, the players have “learnt what it means to be a Brisbane Bronco.”
What are our players going to learn from being a tiger?
Coming last for two years meant that player vaves like my Twally are shown the door.
Recruiting players that have tasted success seems to be our target.
So should our board and administrators.
The chasing of Michael Checker Board seems odd because his sucess was limited and that seems to have clouded our judgement. Surely the job requirements would be more academic rather that someone who is good at throwing the pen down???
I think “old boys” give the younger blokes in the squad something to identify with, blokes like Api and Klemmer etc, are pro’s and don’t need it.

Obviously, we don’t know who will get the GM gig, but don’t write Cheka off, he’s a pretty impressive bloke, I remember him with the Waratahs and then the Wallabies, he did some good shit with those teams. He doesn’t cop shit from anyone.

Im not a fan of O’Neil’s, but they do appear to be talking with some good options and all will be forgotten should we see success.

Just hope they decide shortly, so they can get on with it.

Last edited:

Tigerm

First Grade

Yes.

“I want to stay here as long as I can,” said Bula.

“The club blessed me with this opportunity and I'm not in this position without them.

“I want to hopefully win a championship here one day, that’s my goal.”

WA Tiger

Bench
Basing signings on astrology signs is an idea so cooked it could land you a job in Wests Tigers recruitment.
Prob no worse than most of the Illogic on here on that topic..
I take it either no one knows these two guys at all, or It’s accurate?

Last edited: