What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumours thread

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Does the NRL have a Register of what each player's contract is worth?

If not how can you enforce a Salary cap if you can't confirm what each club is paying?

Mr Red

First Grade
Does the NRL have a Register of what each player's contract is worth?

If not how can you enforce a Salary cap if you can't confirm what each club is paying?
each club has to lodge and register the players contract with the NRL. this contract also discloses the financial terms of the deal.
this is how the NRL keeps track
each clubs "books" must also be disclosed to the NRL auditors (Ian Schubert) upon request for auditing.. hence the storm getting busted when information was leaked about them having two set of books...

Last edited:

Ronnie Dobbs

Coach
each club has to lodge and register the players contract with the NRL. this contract also discloses the financial terms of the deal.
this is how the NRL keeps track
each clubs "books" must also be disclosed to the NRL auditors (Ian Schubert) upon request for auditing.. hence the storm getting busted when information was leaked about them having two set of books...

TAFE trained auditor Ian Schubert. WTF are his credentials.

Surely he has to be next in the gun from Grant and Cio.

the painter

Juniors
If we win this week and next, there;s no reason why we can't push for as high 5th.

I think top 4 is gone, but I still think 5-6th is possible.

Again, only if we show our true stuff and win tommorrow and next week.

You win one game and are now talking about 5th spot, considreing you will need 30 to make the 8 this year, you are sreiously need your head examined.:crazy:

Cagey Mac

Bench
You win one game and are now talking about 5th spot, considreing you will need 30 to make the 8 this year, you are sreiously need your head examined.:crazy:
To quote you from you own warren
"If we wanted a dog like you to coment, we would have whistled. Piss off back to own forum with the other scum."

Be kind enough to take your own advice!

Fire

First Grade

Um, I give that 1.5/10 for trolling. Woeful effort chief.

TheRev

First Grade
I'd love see a thread that had a go at a mock/hypothetical breakdown of the coin our top 25 would be on, but it would be no doubt be a source of conjecture, whilst most likley inaccurate.

Likewise, there are a couple of sides who seem to be breaking all logic in their player purchases, dogs the most obvious culprit.

Of course the Dragons are a whole different can of worms, either players simply dont want to come, or we are short of money, or were saving it all up to make a play on a marquee playmaker (we must have 800k for Cronk)... either way id love to see some purchases to supplement the squad.

Also, why dont we have any mid-season purchases like the other clubs have been doing? We could have gotten a replacement for Weyman perhaps... and there are several other fringe/older players, but I guess they are not seen as needing replacement as such.

Willow

Assistant Moderator
hence the storm getting busted when information was leaked about them having two set of books...
Actually, three sets of books.

We may recall that the Storm were keeping players at the 11th hour negotiations, claiming they aced the opposition because players preferred to live in salubrious Melbourne over NSW and Qld... and they were scoffing at reports that they had just a few players taking up half their salary cap.

But that's old news. This is the new age.

The report below from yesterday shows that Melbourne have learnt their lesson...

Craig Bellamy scoffs at suggestions the Melbourne Storm should lose one of their 'big three'
Russell Gould
July 19, 201212:00AM

THE reliance of Melbourne Storm on its three superstars has come under fire from pundits who don't believe a premiership can be won by a team paying half of its salary cap to three players.

But Storm coach Craig Bellamy yesterday scoffed at suggestions any club would offload one of either Cameron Smith, Billy Slater or Cooper Cronk to get a more balanced salary cap.

He said it wasn't so much a strategy as just common sense that saw the club put so much emphasis on retaining Smith, Slater and Cronk.

"They have turned into some of the best players ... so we are not going to show them the door," he said.

"A lot of other clubs have evened their salary cap out among the higher-paid players and the lesser-paid players. We are not looking to change our strategy."

http://www.news.com.au/sport/nrl/cr...-their-big-three/story-fndujljl-1226429510098

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Likewise, there are a couple of sides who seem to be breaking all logic in their player purchases, dogs the most obvious culprit.

Of course the Dragons are a whole different can of worms, either players simply dont want to come, or we are short of money, or were saving it all up to make a play on a marquee playmaker (we must have 800k for Cronk)... either way id love to see some purchases to supplement the squad.

Also, why dont we have any mid-season purchases like the other clubs have been doing? We could have gotten a replacement for Weyman perhaps... and there are several other fringe/older players, but I guess they are not seen as needing replacement as such.

Up until the last couple of weeks, I had great concerned about the recruitment activity of the our club. Now I think I have a better understanding of the situation and with fingers crossed, I live in hope.

It seems to me that the club has the salary cap but not the cash and so, there is no immediate plans to purchase any big name players prior to the 2014 season when Hornby, Fien, Cooper and a whole lot of fringe players are off contract.

The Dragons are lucky enough to have a great juniors system so until the cash situation is solved, the club will mainly rely on our juniors comming through however, I do believe Doust would lash out for a good half or five eighth if one became available e.g. Thurston, Pearce or maybe one from the UK. I honestly believe Doust and Price were hoping Kyle would solve this problem for them.

With a cloud over Soward's future at the club and Hornby's looming retirement, it should be the club's priority to focus on recruiting a top line player to fill the void for season 2014.

My tip is that the Dragons will make a strong play for Thurston and if unsuccessful, maybe go for Pearce. For next year, given that Kyle has a long term injury, I think Price will go for a young promising halfback as backup for Hornby who will stay on until the end of the 2014 season.

I wish it was otherwise however, I'm resigned to the fact that Doust has got us into this financial mess and it's going to take time and a great deal of effort to get things back on track.

So with fingers crossed, I hope we will be competitive during the reamainder of 2012 and during season 2013. If things work out in our favour, we should return to top four contention in 2014. Price will have to make things work with the sqaud he's given and club management won't necessarily judge him on the Dragons place on the ladder in seasons 2012 and 2013.

Last edited:
I heard Peter Sterling comment in last nights game that David Stagg was still uncontracted for next season. Workaholic forward with no dirt who averages about 45 tackles a game, what do you think?

Stagg is off to the Knights from what I heard imo would be a good pick up has played origin he's a no nonsense guy who is never in trouble and does whats asked of him.

Isn't flashie but would certainly be a good option to replace Young as Frizzell will replace Scott.

TheRev

First Grade
Its the only thing that makes sense Possm, but im really concerned if were really broke, because its hard enough playing in the NRL, let alone with 2/3 the salary cap...

Annoys me that Newcastle managed to pull talent like Gaigai and Mason mid-season, Dogs pulled Inu and I forget the other, but we just sat by with the same ineffectual squad.

Then again if the coaching staff are happy with young/prior/hornby and I dont want to throw in Coops, but just for example, then perhaps they see no need to recruit.

There is also our issues at right centre... tonight if we had of had Gaigai/Inu at Right Centre (or Gasnier!), instead of Chase/Vidot on the right, we would have scored 20+ points down that wing alone, Chase is a solid enough centre, he made some good half-breaks tonight, but hes lacking finesse and speed, perhaps hes still a way off 100% after his injuries.

Last edited:

bmwpower

Juniors
Cooper is an ageing and wounded warrior. He has fought his battle. Taylor was running around him with ease. He also limped off injured. I think its fair to say were in need of new players in mass amounts next season. Scott leaving young retiring, cooper, fien and hornby on old legs, light in the forwards etc I think were going to struggle for the next two years unless doust does something proactively

slipperykinchela

First Grade
Up until the last couple of weeks, I had great concerned about the recruitment activity of the our club. Now I think I have a better understanding of the situation and with fingers crossed, I live in hope.

It seems to me that the club has the salary cap but not the cash and so, there is no immediate plans to purchase any big name players prior to the 2014 season when Hornby, Fien, Cooper and a whole lot of fringe players are off contract.

The Dragons are lucky enough to have a great juniors system so until the cash situation is solved, the club will mainly rely on our juniors comming through however, I do believe Doust would lash out for a good half or five eighth if one became available e.g. Thurston, Pearce or maybe one from the UK. I honestly believe Doust and Price were hoping Kyle would solve this problem for them.

With a cloud over Soward's future at the club and Hornby's looming retirement, it should be the club's priority to focus on recruiting a top line player to fill the void for season 2014.

My tip is that the Dragons will make a strong play for Thurston and if unsuccessful, maybe go for Pearce. For next year, given that Kyle has a long term injury, I think Price will go for a young promising halfback as backup for Hornby who will stay on until the end of the 2014 season.

I wish it was otherwise however, I'm resigned to the fact that Doust has got us into this financial mess and it's going to take time and a great deal of effort to get things back on track.

So with fingers crossed, I hope we will be competitive during the reamainder of 2012 and during season 2013. If things work out in our favour, we should return to top four contention in 2014. Price will have to make things work with the sqaud he's given and club management won't necessarily judge him on the Dragons place on the ladder in seasons 2012 and 2013.

You basing this on anything or just think this is the case?