What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rumsfeld-Is this Guy Playing With A Full Deck?

i might be off here, but wadnt it the yanks who helped develop the kyoto protocol in the first place?

ego is one word that i have never associated with johnnie howard either

just out of interest, what is the cheapest that any one can remember petrol going for in oz, over say the past 40yrs?

Moffo

chilli

Juniors
YES THATS RIGHT IF THE YANKS WERE NOT OUR BACK UPS THE EVIL YELLOW MONKEY WOULD MOVE RIGHT IN JUST LIKE THE KIWIS HAVE;)

imported_midas

Juniors
If we can believe any of the zillion reports out of Indonesia post Bali,the real targets were American sevicemen on R&R .So who the hell knows?All I know is that not aligning ourselves with the US wouldn,t make us any lesss of a target.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Moff, I'm not sure who developed it but I do know that the US are one of the few countries not to have signed it.

Midas, what other reason would terrorists have to target Australia besides it being a close US ally?

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Moffo,
I think the USA were part of the Kyoto agreement in the beginning but when it came to ratifying it, they backed out. Change of government most likely had something to do with it.

I understand that most other signatories have ratified the agreement, including Canada. The notable exceptionsbeing the USA and Australia.

Can't agree about little Johnny's ego... Imo, its as big Sydney Harbour.
Don't let the short-arse fool ya.

Cheap petrol? Its 92c a litre on the Gold Coast now (it was 80c /litre last week :mad:). It was 48c in 1998.

I do remember being about to fill up my car (a six cylinder Falcon XW) for $6 in the late 1970s. Nowadays it would cost $60.

imported_JoeD

Juniors
Comparing the cost of petrol between then and now doesn't help much unless you know the amount of tax paid on petrol was the same, then and now.

imported_midas

Juniors
Willow
Think your memory might be letting you down When the Great Oil Crisis hit in 1973 petrol prices soared to the point where many people in Sydney got rid of their V8,s and Yank Tanks (sold ,em to Gold Coast property developers) and despite the fact that Dismal Currency had been in for 7years,we still liked gallons and petrol went over $1.00 per gallon for the first time.So by the late 70,s,unless you had a 25-litre tank,you,d have parted with more than $6.00 for a tankfull.
Interesting that you were a Falcon man-explains a lot.;)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
Cripes.. Maybe it was me mum's Datsun 1600 that cost $6 to fill up.

Now that you mention it, I do recall the oil crisis - signaled the end of post-war growth as we knew it. But it was more to with waiting in queues. I seem to remember that it was more a supply issue than a price issue.
Still he Falcon couldnt have been more than $10.

Also, by the late 70s, the $AUD was worth more than the $USD

imported_midas

Juniors
willow
The oil crisis was about both.The powers that be convinced us that the world was going to run out of oil in 7 minutes.This led to skyrocketing prices.Oil went from $2.50 a barrell to about $17.00 in about the same time it takes Russell Tiffen to make a crook decision.
We later discovered that the world was swimming in the bloody stuff and prices retreated to about $12.00 (still a huge increase in twelve months which was probably the object of the exercise anyway)
And the poor old Sydney siders had to try and get a decent trade-in on the 4-cylinder shitboxes they had bought.(Couldn,t get the thumpers back off the white-shoe brigade)

Willow

Assistant Moderator
chillieye: LOL... I think you hit the nail on the head there. The place does have an over supply of old rust buckets and old kiwis... mind you, I'd add old pommies in there as well.
Unfortunately my old tank was sold about 20 years in steak and kidney.

midas:
I think you recall those days better than me. I remember now and you're right offcourse. There was loads of oil and we were told that it was in crisis.... talk about being conned. They ripped off everybody and then tell us to go and fight a war for them.

S

SpaceMonkey

Hahaha, I remember in the 80's when we got "white flight" in NZ, all these redneck upper-middle class pakehas who legged it to the Gold Coast because they were worried the Maoris were getting uppity... you can keep 'em mate, NZ's better off with their type gone.

D

dubopov

Chilli....Are you Darren Lehmann ???..Judging by your comments in Post 22,I think this may be the case !!

imported_Beast

Juniors
Bush has made more promises than he can pay for and needs a ready supply of black gold to pay off his excesses.
If you go back to your history books you should note that Saddam was armed predominantly by the USA ..and that includes biological and chemical weapons in abundance. Their nuclear capacity came from the Europeans, bothe West and East and some South American countries.
It is only right that when Saddam is disarmed so to speak it is US seriveman who will be killed and wounded and nobody elses..because that is what is going to happen. The US will defeat the Iraquis but they will lose quite a few people in the process..what then?
Will Bush have a crack at the Iranians?.. he can conjure up the hostage crisis of the 70s as an excuse.
The North Koreans? They have f**k all oil but the yanks have a liking for killing Asians and technically they are still at war so maybe they will be next.
It bodes for a bloody 2003 whoever gets hit!

chilli

Juniors
no im not him.The U.S.A have to do this or Nukes will get into the hands of the Muslim fundamentalist fruit cakes;)

D

dubopov

Good point Willow...Wasn't it Christian Funamentalist Fruits who were responsible for the Oklahoma bombing and the Anthrax attacks ???

Willow

Assistant Moderator
White Supremists, christian extremists... something like that. The Oaklahoma bombing was initially blamed on Arab terrorists... the lack of evidence didnt stop the trigger-happy news running stories about, 'Arabic looking men running from the scene of the crime...'
Turned out it was one of their own and the 'Arabic looking men' story was no where to be seen.