What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Running through the scrum

hotsnow

Juniors
Does this bypass the shepard rule? Isn't the runner being protected by the forwards in front?

CyberKev

Staff member
hotsnow said:
Does this bypass the shepard rule? Isn't the runner being protected by the forwards in front?

I'm with you, Hotsnow.

I can't believe a play like this can be legal.

hotsnow

Juniors
Bring Back the Spliff said:
I didn't have a problem with thr ruling tonight, no...if the forwards were PAYING ATTENTION at the time - they had a shot.

Play on.
That is true. Although I thought a few of them could have made a play.

Will be interesting to see if this comes up throughout the season. It reminds me of an NFL screen play.

CyberKev said:
I'm with you, Hotsnow.

I can't believe a play like this can be legal.

May as well make "Beating St. George-Illawarra" illegal then! :lol:

As I say - IF the Saints forwards had broken from the scrum ASAP - as a good forward does anyway - and been paying attention to what was actually going on around them - they could have stopped that break. Easily.

But they didn't.

Illegal? PFFFFF! Cry me a river.....:p

And u think THAT was the difference between your side and the Tigers tonight??...Oh PLEASE!!

Desperation.

aids

Bench
watch the fox tommorrow, they'll show it i guess.i doubt you'll be any player infringed.

most just assumed the ball left the scrium and wern't paying attention

kbw

Bench
You can run behind someone as much as you want, just as long as it doesn't impede anyone trying to tackle you.

Oh unless your playing St George because they are so good they can tackle you from anywhere, it comes from having big eyes in their GREAT BIG HEADS.

This website's server response is going to SH&T!!! If this is what its like just for round one - then I loathe to think what's going to happen for the REST of the season!!

Raider Azz

Bench
what the hell is the "sheperd rule". i hate when it is called that. f**king ray warren.

it's called obstruction people...

mepelthwack

Juniors
How can anyone criticise that moment and keep a straight face whilst neglecting to mention not 1, but 2, forward passes in the leadup to Gasnier's 3rd try.

Then again I guess we are all so conditioned to the Dragons getting away with forward passes that it almost goes un-noticed by the masses.

Raider_Azz said:
what the hell is the "sheperd rule". i hate when it is called that. f**king ray warren.

it's called obstruction people...

Yeah, righto then...It's still a shepherd.

I bet you are the same kind of annoying prat that pronounces defence 'Deee-Fence' and talks fondly of 'Hang Time' on bombs as well??

Anal twat...

***MH***

Bench
Here's what the laws of the game have to say.

Section 6 Notes
Boring through forwards A player may pick up the ball at the base of the scrum and bore through his own forwards to ground the ball for a try.

Section 15
Player in possession cannot obstruct The player who is in possession of the ball cannot be guilty of obstruction. He can make use of the goal posts to avoid a tackle, or dodge behind a ruck of his own players or bore a way through his own pack.

Paullyboy

Coach
Damn you beat me too it MH, I was about to say to all these stupid chumps who think they know the game but really dont that they might be better off consulting their rule book before they shoot their mouths off on a forum.

Ah well, the important thing is they will see they were wrong I guess.

Southernsaint

Staff member
Fair play to Wests for taking advantage of the situation.

But it seems a bit strange that it is legal when Manly (I think) got pinged for running through the play-the-ball ruck last season or the one before. Some consistency would be nice...

Latest posts