What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Russell Packer

Coffs dragon

Bench
Fair enough Mobels, but he has stuffed up badly with our best back & best forward from 2016 and they should have been signed and sealed before the season began. Retention should be a priority rather than mind games questioning a players position to save a dollar.

Its funny how both players have stated they want to stay yet reports are they are leaving.

So its a money thing pure and simple, the statements Dugan has made he is sorting out a few little issue's how f**king long does that actually take.

Dugan isn't worth a million he isn't in that category of player Smith, Thurston and Slater are he isn't and if he thinks he is then he's a silly boy.

Packer sure as hell isn't worth 700k and if he is after the money then he can go to the Tigers i don't want the Dragons to go and match that offer its at least 100 to 150k to much.

I still believe Packer will stay regardless of what James Hooper says as that guy wouldn't know shit from sugar if he had it in his mouth.

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I'm thinking Milward has signed some good players for the club but has been screwed over by the manager of Dugan and Packer.

Hindsight is a marvellous thing and it's fair to say that we all get diddled from time to time.

Apart from that, he's done pretty well to date. This one however is a biggie.

The player manager knows how to play the game and deceive.

Not from Melbourne is he?

possm

Coach
Its funny how both players have stated they want to stay yet reports are they are leaving.

So its a money thing pure and simple, the statements Dugan has made he is sorting out a few little issue's how f**king long does that actually take.

Dugan isn't worth a million he isn't in that category of player Smith, Thurston and Slater are he isn't and if he thinks he is then he's a silly boy.

Packer sure as hell isn't worth 700k and if he is after the money then he can go to the Tigers i don't want the Dragons to go and match that offer its at least 100 to 150k to much.

I still believe Packer will stay regardless of what James Hooper says as that guy wouldn't know shit from sugar if he had it in his mouth.
A player is worth what the market will pay and no player should be made to feel guilty for maximising his earnings. So the trick is to seize the opportunity to retain Packer and Dugan when their price in the market place was equal to the price Millward had in his budget.

On 2016 form, the offers made to Dugan and Packer are reasonable - maybe 50k there for negotiation breathing space. By mentioning that Dugan is a centre and the offer was centre's salary, complicated the negotiations to the extent that Dugan dug in his heels and so has delayed is decision in an effort to prove his case. His manager played Millward by getting Millward to agree to completing the Dugan contract before moving on to the Packer deal.

In the following months there was a stalemate which always seemed to be only a short time needed to complete the deal. Then came the announcement that Woods was Bulldogs bound and the Tigers then turned their attention to replacing Woods with Packer.

Now it seems Packer has agreed to terms with the Tigers and Dugan has been advised that the Sharks will table an offer that meets his terms. End result, we lose both Packer and Dugan without suitable players being identified to replace them like for like. What a mess.

Last edited:

possm

Coach
Coast Dragons,
I imagine it would be annoying to the other side of the argument. The claim that Millward would create a mess was mentioned months ago and is proving to be accurate.

My view is that Millward is as capable in performing the recruitment/pathways job as Mary, Hornby and Young are capable in performing the coaching duties. Old boys are no substitute for qualified professional people.

Gareth67

First Grade

Now thats calling a spade , a spade ! About that shat from sugar bit , perhaps the poor man has no taste buds like the rest of us ? :thinking:

Last edited:

Dragonslayer

First Grade
It's not a mess, it's just good management by his manager, that's what he pays him to do.
Packer will be 28 this year and this is probably his pay day contract. He has a young family to support long after football and given his history probably not the most employable person outside of football.
If his manager has negotiated a 700k 4yr deal, good luck to him. Yes, I want him to stay with us, but there's a big difference between our offer and what has been offered by WT almost $1m.
If he stays with us, I'm sure its because he wants to not because he has to.

The Damo

Juniors
Not so, most of the well run clubs with professional management have not been in the position of trying to hold onto marquee players. In fact these clubs have tied up the players they want to keep and then gone to the market to further improve their squads.

I agree that Millward would be finding it difficult coming to grips with the task before him. I doubt he was the successful candidate chosen from a list of people who applied for the job via a public advertisement. It is the old boy nepotism at work with this one. Powerbroker dad arranged for him to get the job an Mary was kept on to make justification easier. Millward is in my opinion not capable of performing the duties in a satisfactory manner.

The results speak for themselves. We are about to lose two senior first grade players without alternative players being identified to fill the positions. What a mess.
Can you name the marquee players who signed contracts before the season started? Other than Ben Hunt obviously.

possm

Coach
It's not a mess, it's just good management by his manager, that's what he pays him to do.
Packer will be 28 this year and this is probably his pay day contract. He has a young family to support long after football and given his history probably not the most employable person outside of football.
If his manager has negotiated a 700k 4yr deal, good luck to him. Yes, I want him to stay with us, but there's a big difference between our offer and what has been offered by WT almost $1m.
If he stays with us, I'm sure its because he wants to not because he has to.
I agree that his manager did an excellent job for Packer and yes that is what he is paid to do.

In the same way the Club pays Millward to do an excellent job however, he has fallen short. He demonstrates a lack of good negotiation skills and poor task management.

As far as mess goes, I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion it is a mess by every measurement.

possm

Coach
Whats the bet that if Dugan goes to sharks it will be as a centre? No way he will play fullback at sharks. Yet he says he wants to play fullback? BS! He just wants $$$
Yes and it should never have been part of the conversation. It should have been a matter of a 750k offer to Dugan and when he comes back with a 1m demand, counter offers of up to 850k over a week or two. If there is no acceptance, move onto Packer and also identify a replacement for Dugan. When Dugan's replacement is secured, withdraw the Dugan offer. No messy headlines, no protracted negotiations. As quiet and as smooth as the Hunt deal.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors

In the same way the Club pays Millward to do an excellent job however, he has fallen short. He demonstrates a lack of good negotiation skills and poor task management.

Why? Because a guy has decided to leave for more money?
That's not poor negotiation skills. That's just life. Players are going to go where the money is. Unfortunately loyalty died when Rugby League became professional. It's a business now

Crush

Coach
What a mess?
Vaughan has been THE BEST signing in the nrl across every team this season.
McInnes has been a great, no doubt cheap signing and Sims is another great signing.
Add to that HUNT and retention of Widdop. Plus all of the talented young guys, field, dufty, luciano etc etc etc.
If we lose Packer then so be it. You can't keep everyone.
And on Dugan, we have made an offer. If Dugan thinks he is worth more then good luck to him. I doubt any other club will pay him to play fullback. Maybe a big money center.
What a mess?
Seriously.....

possm

Coach
Why? Because a guy has decided to leave for more money?
That's not poor negotiation skills. That's just life. Players are going to go where the money is. Unfortunately loyalty died when Rugby League became professional. It's a business now
A poor result when negotiating with the player manager. Millward was convinced to sort out Dugan before Packer. Millward should just have negotiated Packers demands and settled quickly. At no time was there any question over Packer's quality or capabilities. It was all about the cap and what Millward was prepared to pay. The sticking point came up out of the blue much later when the Dogs signed Woods and the Tigers targeted Packer in response.

Ben_Kusto_magic

Juniors
The guy is a professional athlete. This is his job. This is how he makes his money, feeds his kids, pays his mortgage etc!
If he does end up leaving I personally won't begrudge him for accepting more money. Good luck to him

Old Kogarah Boy 1

First Grade
I agree that his manager did an excellent job for Packer and yes that is what he is paid to do.

As far as mess goes, I'm afraid we will have to agree to disagree. In my opinion it is a mess by every measurement.

Just a side note....... With Millward looking after the player market, what the hell does Doust do?

He doesn't coach, he doesn't buy & sell players, he's been there a very long time, what is his actual job description?

Latest posts