What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

macavity

Referee
It would be long shot but I’d be offering Sticky a can’t refuse deal. Problem is we would need a miracle to get him out of Canberra. He bleeds Green. He would not tolerate this crap on any level.

Why?

If we are spending stupid money go for Bellamy or Robbo.

But the reality is we aren't getting any of them.

Going to take a generation to fix this.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Why?

People can laugh all they want. The man has made four grand finals. Let me guess right?He has lost 3 of them. Made 3 in his first 3 seasons.
a generation to fix? The Knights won’t exist if what you say is true. They need to find a solution and very very fast. Kids think the club is a joke. Out of touch is one thing this club and it’s supporters do like no one else.
O’Brien was totally right in saying the ingrained failure culture is tolerated. It is endemic. Close enough is good enough. That worked in say the ….. 1990s. He has no answers. He won’t be the last I feel.

Last edited:
It would be long shot but I’d be offering Sticky a can’t refuse deal. Problem is we would need a miracle to get him out of Canberra. He bleeds Green. He would not tolerate this crap on any level.
Excuse Me Reaction GIF by Mashable

Why?

Its not going to take that long. Todd Payton has proven up north that with a couple of astute signings and a work hard first mentality instilled into the playing group over an offseason, you can turn around a clubs form drastically

Hell, look at what the Bulldogs produced this week with a change in mental focus

macavity

Referee
People can laugh all they want. The man has made four grand finals. Let me guess right?He has lost 3 of them. Made 3 in his first 3 seasons.
a generation to fix? The Knights won’t exist if what you say is true. They need to find a solution and very very fast. Kids think the club is a joke. Out of touch is one thing this club and it’s supporters do like no one else.
O’Brien was totally right in saying the ingrained failure culture is tolerated. It is endemic. Close enough is good enough. That worked in say the ….. 1990s. He has no answers. He won’t be the last I feel.

it’s already been a generation.

Yosh

Coach
AOB is totally right. There are numerous serious issues and problems with the club. He just ain't the person who can fix it.

aqua_duck

Coach
ofcourse AOB isn't the answer when he rightly points out ingrained cultural issues but leaves out the part where actively added to those issues. Sticky is a solid first grade coach but a career winning percentage of 50% doesn't paint him as the supercoach you might think he is and even that winning percentage is heavily skewed because he happened to take over a very, very good roosters side in the early 2000s. IMO Ricky has been able to stick around (no pun intended) not because he's a supercoach but because he has a favourable relationship with the media.

Jono078

Referee
Very long conference this one.

Man, sometimes I like what AOB says and it does feel like he's on the pulse, but then I remember the results are just looking too ugly, have for 3 years and we're obviously going backwards.

Biggest take aways are he says Clune is likely to start this weekend and he basically shits on our depth players, which once again, he was in charge of building a competitive roster.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Good interview actually. He seems to have a pretty good read on some of the problems that we’re facing at the moment but it’s whether he’ll find the answers quickly enough that is going to be the issue. Currently this season is on life support and his coaching career possibly depends on getting the team actually looking good and giving some hope that we’re heading in the right direction.

Knight Tales

Juniors
Look fellas. All I am saying with the Ricky Stuart suggestion is he has been there and done it. In my view we need someone with a GF or sustained success under there belt just to correct the ship. Not long term. As
Much as Ciraldo would be excellent my fear is we will Kill his career.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
Look fellas. All I am saying with the Ricky Stuart suggestion is he has been there and done it. In my view we need someone with a GF or sustained success under there belt just to correct the ship. Not long term. As
Much as Ciraldo would be excellent my fear is we will Kill his career.
Yeah if it came down to it I'd take Ricky over most of the current NRL coaches. I don't agree with everything he says or does especially some of his post game complaining about refs etc but the guy can definitely get players to buy into the culture that he wants.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
Yeah if it came down to it I'd take Ricky over most of the current NRL coaches. I don't agree with everything he says or does especially some of his post game complaining about refs etc but the guy can definitely get players to buy into the culture that he wants.
I will give him one thing - passion , no doubting the man's love of the game and his club. He's not afraid to set standards and drop players regardless of reputation.

I wonder what exactly can we say about AOB ? I struggle to come up with a single positive about what the man stands for.

Mr_Knightside

Juniors
I'm not within the four walls of the club so I don't know what happens on the training paddock or in the meetings or video sessions etc but I'm sure AOB has got some positive strings to his bow. You wouldn't be involved in rugby league coaching for 15 years at clubs like the Storm & Roosters without having the ability to do it.

The idea that gets thrown around on this forum that AOB doesn't have high standards I think is ridiculous. Given his background in the game I would expect he has higher standards than most, but perhaps his implementation of those standards isn't working with the current playing group.

Looking at it from the outside it seems to me that one of his biggest failings is that he overcomplicates things. Like he analyses things to a degree that it makes it hard for him to be flexible. Round 4 this year against the Sharks is a good example. He hears it's going to be wet weather so implements a wet weather game plan at training but it turns out to be dry and windy instead so the team spends 80 mins running one-out and getting bashed while the Sharks are attacking and throwing the ball around at will.

Also stuff like the short turn-arounds and not being able to fit field sessions into the training regime. Ultimately if the team looks disjoined on the field then you need to do more field sessions and find a way to fit that into the schedule, rather than going with the same "fine tuned" training schedule as usual.

Anyway that's my $0.02 on it. Whilst I'm not happy with what I've seen from the team recently I still think it'd be worth putting some more time into developing AOB as a coach with the right people around him rather than punting him straight away. That being said my opinion will probably change if we don't start seeing some better performances on the field in the coming weeks.

Yosh

Coach
I think he is a great assistant coach. He just isn't a great head coach. We always start the season strongly because AOB is wonderful at getting the squad fit and in the right frame of mind. However, he lacks the tactical sense to become a successful first grade head coach. That's my 2 cents.

Sir Galahad

Juniors
The idea that gets thrown around on this forum that AOB doesn't have high standards I think is ridiculous.
Selecting under performing players not putting in 100% effort is not "high standards " sends a terrible message to the squad.

AOB blows the trumpet when we win, however the same result from the Storm would see Bellamy threatening to drop players for their lack of 1% plays - winning just isnt good enough, it's how you win. Not sometimes but EVERYTIME.

Time and again I've seen a pretty obvious lack of standards set by AOB.

He will be given time but I think it will amount to nothing. Really hope I'm wrong and AOB does a complete 180 and shows some character - I doubt it though.

Latest posts