What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

So if we lose today, should the knives be out for AOB?

I think you have to lose it first and then how it’s lost. Some losses defy coaching.

You’re always a massive danger. I think you can beat Manly in a close one.

4 good players would help your stocks enormously.

Everyone knows why the miraculous Ponga isn’t being selected for origin. Billy was as gracious as he could be.

Last edited:

Jono078

Referee
So if we lose today, should the knives be out for AOB?
He's got some built in excuses today - Ponga's first game at fullback in 10 or so months, first game the spine has played together etc.

But a loss today does not look good at all. We should be winning this game 36-16 if we're serious.

Hopefully Freddy and Billy have done us a favor by saying regardless what you've done in origin, you boys aren't doing enough in club land to warrant the selection this year.

perverse

Referee
Not sure this is 100% fair really. Miller was killing it too and there was no way Kayln was going to be left out of the team. Someone had to make way and considering Kayln was training at 5/8 all offseason the obvious choice was Tyson

Sure, Miller has sucked recently and the trigger probably needed to be pulled earlier but it was objectively a 50/50 call which one had to be supplanted at the time
I just don't agree that Miller was ever particularly killing it. He had obvious issues from game 1. He was doing enough good to slightly outweight the bad early on, but I don't get why everyone has to pretend he hasn't had problems in every single game he's played. The writing was on the wall very early that if his form dropped he would be atrocious, and that's exactly what happened.

People see some hard kick returns and a few low percentage plays come off and think the sun shines out someones arse. He's been running into wingers and dropping balls all over the place since day dot, and it only got worse. It's not like i'm pulling this out of my arse, I was questioning whether we could carry him in the team 2 months ago. Hopefully he can at least find some confidence from the bench, but I'm skeptical.

I guess if you use Dally M points as your metric for killing it and not contribution to the scoreboard then yeah, he was murdering it early on.

Meh, don't agree that his early games were that close to the wind. Sure he had some errors but his over all contributions were positive in the majority.

And no, that opinion was formed with my own eyes not Daly M votes

aqua_duck

Coach
Meh, don't agree that his early games were that close to the wind. Sure he had some errors but his over all contributions were positive in the majority.

And no, that opinion was formed with my own eyes not Daly M votes
I think he was good and definitely brought some energy which I think masked the errors a little. With Miller I don’t think it was ever really about quality but more so quantity and effort, lots of runs, lots of involvement, etc but IMO Gamble gives you the same effort and energy with a bit more quality minus the amount of catastrophic errors.
I think tonight although he wasn’t perfect KP showed the difference between someone who tries hard and someone with genuine quality.

macavity

Referee
I think he was good and definitely brought some energy which I think masked the errors a little. With Miller I don’t think it was ever really about quality but more so quantity and effort, lots of runs, lots of involvement, etc but IMO Gamble gives you the same effort and energy with a bit more quality minus the amount of catastrophic errors.
I think tonight although he wasn’t perfect KP showed the difference between someone who tries hard and someone with genuine quality.

Gamble was absolute trash today. As was Jacko. As was our entire pack.

ryan.a87

Juniors
Don’t stress guys, AOB said in the presser the preparation has been good for the games and we just need to trust in the process

Apey

Staff member
Blow the entire club up and start again (or don't). Coach sucks, most the players don't care and any potential replacements are plodders.

aqua_duck

Coach
I’ve been holding off and holding off calling for him to go, but today is the day.
I wish you well Adam but you aren’t working at Newcastle.
He needs to go.
Needs to go back to being an assistant coach and telling all his mates how many premierships he’s been part of

Woody90

Juniors
Obviously AOB needs to go. Who would you guys like to see as his replacement? To be honest none of available coaches fill me with huge amounts of confidence, but I’m also at the point where I think any change would be positive.

I really hope the club are already working behind the scenes to line a new coach up (but I’m not getting my hopes up).

Knight Tales

Juniors
I would not be surprised if O’Brien and The club have already decided to part ways. I also won’t be surprised if we are linked to Brooks again. You just get the feeling the experiment is over.
Parr was asked about his views on O’Brien by Toohey earlier this year. He answered in a somewhat detached manner where he said the club wanted him there and his job is to support that.