What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Adam O'Brien

Alex28

Coach
Competent IS top 8 at a minimum. Failure is anything below that.

Top 4 should be the expectation. Premiership the aim.

12? no way. 12 is not mentioned at ANY successful club, much less thought of.
You aren’t getting any coach signing a contract saying they can be sacked for not finishing top 8.

Think once you start talking about as low as 13th then they'd have been better off just not having a clause at all, purely from an optics perspective if nothing else.

It gives the impression that they think 12th is acceptable even if that isn't the intention.
terrible optics and a horrendously poorly thought through message from management.

There are things higher up in the club that need fixing before the coach…
Indeed , I'm not sure Jesus could lead us to the promised land with those monkeys at the wheel.

Alex28

Coach
Oh I dont think you're right there. Plenty would have that as a trigger for a clause or 2.

A clause to be released - 100% that would be a KPI , there's only 17 positions available.
A coach wouldn’t even get to the point of deciding to take such a contract. Their manager wouldn’t accept such a clause.

Would you sign a contract where you could get the sack for missing a KPI or a target? f**k no.

Alex28

Coach
Now who's the one with comprehension issues?
You keep bringing up a News Limited hacks comment about no one else wanting to sign him when we extended him. I get what you are saying.

The point remains that people in the club made the decision to extend him. He’s not the one to blame for that decision. Your frustration is misguided. Get angry at the board and CEO.

Or… they realised that we haven’t had any other coaches get us into the finals 3 out of 4 seasons in a row since Joey was around and that he might know what he is doing, and was smart enough to trigger an early exit if that changes drastically.

Alex28

Coach
If you read the Herald article, when Peter Parr was questioned he was “unaware of the specifics of the coaches deal”.

How does the football manager not know these things?

Scootsie

Juniors
Hard to say where it’s all going wrong tbh, but the Knights have looked over-coached this year. Some of their defensive efforts have been abysmal with players hanging back looking at each other. A couple of the easiest tries in the NRL have been scored against the Knights this season. At times they lack both urgency and initiative.
Trouble is, the team always looks an exciting squad on paper but largely failing to deliver.

Rod

Bench
The defensive efforts aren't the issue so much. 7th best in the comp for points conceded.

It's the attack where the poor coaching and lack of initiative lies. 17th in the comp for points scored - simple as that really. Ridiculous for a team that scored the most tries in the comp last year.

Alex28

Coach
I signed plenty for nearly 15 years before founding my own company, and guess what , I never missed a sales target.

It's normal as far as I'm aware.
I haven’t missed any either, but I can assure you my contract doesn’t say they can punt me because I miss it once.

Coaching is a bit different because they are a contractor to the club and not an employee, but even still a trigger to get rid of him if they miss the 8 wouldn’t be palatable to anyone. It’s too cut throat.

The right to review if they finish 13th or worse isn’t a KPI. It’s just a right to finish the contract early if the club feels it is the right thing to do. It can also work for the benefit of AOB as well - if they trigger it and the team goes on another tear, he can renegotiate another contract early…

Latest posts