What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Flanagan

56to66

Juniors
Yep, Dean Young as the defensive coach has been very poor and he cannot become the Head Coach if Flanno is shafted - just imagine!! Why in hell did the club want him back?
I am sure Dean Young was defensive coach when Mary McGregor was sacked, Dean Young was part of the massacre at Leichhardt when the Tigers put 66 point on the Cowboys, St George have been smashed in every loss this year.
If Mr Shane Flanagan wants to keep his job for the full term, Dean Young needs to sail off into the sunset.
Like Father like Son.
C Young failure as coach.
Alan Fitzgibbon good coach, Craig Fitzgibbon good coach!

Old Timer

Coach
Let’s judge the bloke when the club improves the cattle

This is the worst backline I have seen wear the red V

Forward pack is average to mediocre

Not even Bennett or Bellamy could get this crew into the top 6

The team has overachieved already this season

Let’s judge him on his words, his guarantees, his recruits, his game plan, his selections, his results.

People love trumpeting a few wins and saying look I told you we were on the up well the significance of the losses indicate that in an area the coach supposedly has his biggest credentials we have not only gone backwards we are the lowest ebb ever.

We have turned into softcocks who far too often throw in the towel and just let the opposition roll over us.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Let’s judge the bloke when the club improves the cattle

This is the worst backline I have seen wear the red V

Forward pack is average to mediocre

Not even Bennett or Bellamy could get this crew into the top 6

The team has overachieved already this season
Flanagan isn't improving the squad at all though is he? The signings he has made so far mediocre and you would argue in a lot of instances, players he has brought in were on par with the ones that have left in terms of their skill.

So how many seasons does Flanagan get a free pass from supporters like yourself? These losses are just not good enough in my view and there's nothing to suggest anything has changed with fraud Flanno at the helm. He doesn't deserve years to waste more time.

justadragon

Bench
Flanagan isn't improving the squad at all though is he? The signings he has made so far mediocre and you would argue in a lot of instances, players he has brought in were on par with the ones that have left in terms of their skill.

So how many seasons does Flanagan get a free pass from supporters like yourself? These losses are just not good enough in my view and there's nothing to suggest anything has changed with fraud Flanno at the helm. He doesn't deserve years to waste more time.
He gets as many free passes as Mary and Hook did, come to the realisation that without the man resigning he will be there for the next 2 seasons, you cant guarantee that we would have been much better off with Ryles , look at Hasler at the Titans look what is happening there with a way better roster than ours. If you weren't so aggressive in your responses and complete assignation of other members views and Flanno you might do alright on here, some of the things you say are correct and i agree with you. But when you continually want to see the back end of Flanno when you know that wont happen and you want other members to agree with you and that wont happen, then you my friend trumpeting yourself as the saviour of the Dragons with cries of fraud Flanno will just fall on deaf ears. Let the scenario play out and see what happens next year. there is nothing you can do about it.

The dude is the coach, not the head of recruitment or the Board of directors

He is one part of the puzzle.

Very easy to criticise him

He has turned up to a knife fight with a toothpick

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors

I think Flanno's made the mistake of thinking the Board and Management were all on the same page, willing and able to get behind and support the coach, when in fact they are more interested in protecting their own little fiefdoms. He should have done what Wayne Bennett did and bring his own support team for management, recruitment and everything else. Unfortunately Flanno is no Wayne Bennett.

FlickFlano

Juniors
Tough job ...
Has a reasonably decent crop coming through and an absolute shit show of a 1st division side.

Two choices
1. Weed out the blokes in the 1st grade side he doesnt want to keep and prevent them from poisoning the next group of players with shit attitude/ticker/commitment
2. Promote and destroy

I know that it is not going to be exactly this ... but outside Hunt the main players who have been here doing the same dumb shit year on year are on the way out ...
He is shopping Lawrie, The club has not extended Bird, He is allowing JDB to walk, Hunt has one more year.

get rid of that 4 and the culture in the joint turns on hits head. Sure JDB has been playing well but as soon as the team is under the pump the old habits kick in. Doggies are on the improve and it is off the back of a complete broom

I guess Flano was hoping that the top 17 would actually hang on a little more and improve the chances of shipping them out.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
He gets as many free passes as Mary and Hook did, come to the realisation that without the man resigning he will be there for the next 2 seasons, you cant guarantee that we would have been much better off with Ryles , look at Hasler at the Titans look what is happening there with a way better roster than ours. If you weren't so aggressive in your responses and complete assignation of other members views and Flanno you might do alright on here, some of the things you say are correct and i agree with you. But when you continually want to see the back end of Flanno when you know that wont happen and you want other members to agree with you and that wont happen, then you my friend trumpeting yourself as the saviour of the Dragons with cries of fraud Flanno will just fall on deaf ears. Let the scenario play out and see what happens next year. there is nothing you can do about it.
I'm not sure what the point of your rant is here, Justa?

I'm very well within my rights to critique Flanagan's coaching ability and character, particularly when he is doing a piss poor job of being a head coach.

It's high time that people in this place realise the problems of our team run a lot deeper than the coach, something I've pointed out for a very long time. Along with that, those same people also need to come to the realisation that they were dead wrong and naive in their previous and in the majority of cases, ongoing views that Flanagan can right the ship.

Flanagan gets no sympathy from me as he knew what he was getting in to and previously claimed that at Cronulla he ran recruitment and pathways under a similar set up. If that fool has realised now he has bitten off more than he can chew and decides to step down as head coach, I'll be very hopeful that our next coach can make demands to change the hierarchical structure of the club BEFORE they are appointed.
Furthermore that Fool will still be half as foolish as the people who I've made mention of above.

I'm Hornby

Juniors

Again, he chose not to make demands of structural changes to club operations when he accepted the position of coach.

Fraud Flanno was confident after being appointed that he'd be fine with things as they are, as he claimed he set up the Sharks pathways and handled recruitment while he was there, all which led them to a premiership.

Those claims in my view are total baloney as he has shown in almost 12 months of being coach that he can't improve either of these things, FMD he hasn't even been willing to promote the younger players to first grade. Particularly the Couchmans who were blooded under our previous coach.

This fool has brought it all upon himself and deserves all the challenges he finds himself with.

BLM01

First Grade

He has. Sloan, Lomax, Suli, Bird, Sua. FMolo, Liddle, JDB, BMM are playing well better than under Hook which is half the squad
Collectively they are better when on but worse when not with the latter he needs time to address.
You wrote him off before a ball was kicked this year. You have forfeited your opinion for many of us due to constant blind bias. Thats OK you are allowed but stop trying to convince others you are right with unsubstantiated claims after 11 games as HC.

epDragon62

First Grade
He has. Sloan, Lomax, Suli, Bird, Sua. FMolo, Liddle, JDB, BMM are playing well better than under Hook which is half the squad
Collectively they are better when on but worse when not with the latter he needs time to address.
You wrote him off before a ball was kicked this year. You have forfeited your opinion for many of us due to constant blind bias. Thats OK you are allowed but stop trying to convince others you are right with unsubstantiated claims after 11 games as HC.
Fair and reasonable perspective

epDragon62

First Grade

I'm very well within my rights to critique Flanagan's coaching ability and character, particularly when he is doing a piss poor job of being a head coach.

It's high time that people in this place realise the problems of our team run a lot deeper than the coach, something I've pointed out for a very long time. Along with that, those same people also need to come to the realisation that they were dead wrong and naive in their previous and in the majority of cases, ongoing views that Flanagan can right the ship.

Flanagan gets no sympathy from me as he knew what he was getting in to and previously claimed that at Cronulla he ran recruitment and pathways under a similar set up. If that fool has realised now he has bitten off more than he can chew and decides to step down as head coach, I'll be very hopeful that our next coach can make demands to change the hierarchical structure of the club BEFORE they are appointed.
Furthermore that Fool will still be half as foolish as the people who I've made mention of above.
What seems to be lacking in your thinking is who could possibly fit in as coach that meets your criteria.

Flano is improving things and he has this nasty drop off problem to fix, which means changes to the team to make players more accountable.

Given the problems are deep seated, getting to 5 wins from 10 games is a good start.

With respect it was not a rant

I am a little confused why you post in the forum

your not Paul McGregor by any chance ?

Parko1310

Juniors
Tough job ...
Has a reasonably decent crop coming through and an absolute shit show of a 1st division side.

Two choices
1. Weed out the blokes in the 1st grade side he doesnt want to keep and prevent them from poisoning the next group of players with shit attitude/ticker/commitment
2. Promote and destroy

I know that it is not going to be exactly this ... but outside Hunt the main players who have been here doing the same dumb shit year on year are on the way out ...
He is shopping Lawrie, The club has not extended Bird, He is allowing JDB to walk, Hunt has one more year.

get rid of that 4 and the culture in the joint turns on hits head. Sure JDB has been playing well but as soon as the team is under the pump the old habits kick in. Doggies are on the improve and it is off the back of a complete broom

I guess Flano was hoping that the top 17 would actually hang on a little more and improve the chances of shipping them out.
Where is the info coming from that he's shopping Lawrie around? I've seen it mentioned a couple of times on here now, but don't see it anywhere else

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Haha your claim is all subjective to how you view the individual players performances, so I'm not sure how you've substantiated any of this but somehow my claims are unsubstantiated?

Here is some facts for you:
- We're statistically the 3rd worst defensive team currently.

- In our six losses so far this season, we've conceded on average 40 points in each of them.

Please feel free to substantiate your claims that these players have all improved, as these statistics are quite damning of your suggestion that they have.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
What seems to be lacking in your thinking is who could possibly fit in as coach that meets your criteria.

Flano is improving things and he has this nasty drop off problem to fix, which means changes to the team to make players more accountable.

Given the problems are deep seated, getting to 5 wins from 10 games is a good start.
My criteria is we appoint a coach that takes the reigns and demands the changes such as Ryles did when being sought for the role last year.
I don't think that is too tall of an order, however the fact Flanagan didn't make the same demands and settled for what he could shows he is certainly not worth his salt as a coach.

Nothing has changed and nothing will until the above does, but you keep labouring under your delusions for as long as you like.

BLM01

First Grade
Haha your claim is all subjective to how you view the individual players performances, so I'm not sure how you've substantiated any of this but somehow my claims are unsubstantiated?

Here is some facts for you:
- We're statistically the 3rd worst defensive team currently.

- In our six losses so far this season, we've conceded on average 40 points in each of them.

Please feel free to substantiate your claims that these players have all improved, as these statistics are quite damning of your suggestion that they have.
Dont need to I have watched every game this year but if you took time to read properly. I also said that our blowouts need to be addressed many times and I acknowledged that he has only had 11 games thus far, something you wont acknowledge. You would have more credibility if you come out of the nest and be as chirpy after a win.
On the other note how you know what the coach's demands were when accepting the job?

Last edited:

TheRev

First Grade
Tough job ...

Two choices
2. Promote and destroy

Yep its a tough situation because there are a lot of tougher games coming, so there could be blowouts coming more regularly.

Hoping a couple of recruits are signed (or nearly over the line) in the background for 2025, at the very very minimum we need to replace the lomax/jdb/tamale/feagais... thats the very minimum.. these blowouts make that process so much harder.