What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

jeffdragon

Bench
Are the Dragons under coached or over coached that is the question?
(apologies to Bill Shakespere) Under coached evidence: set restarts are poor, no block plays or well executed 2nd man plays. Over coached evidence: attack consists of 4 single man hit ups, one spread, lucky if it gets to an edge forward followed by a kick. The realty is the team is simply POORLY coached. Hook, despite sucking on Red Bull all game is emotionless hence the team plays the same way. Time for a change is NOW.
PS- Dragons are the slowest team I the comp.
Just play what's in front of them.
Stuff the game plan.
It's not like he will drop them if they don't follow.

mickeylane

Bench
To be fair we have lost 3 games by 2 points or less, then one game by 6...unfortunately a goalkicker has cost us in all those games...alos Hook is a stubborn prick and hence needs to be sackled....but in saying that the first player Hasler should bring in is Garrick...solid Winger/Fullback and a gun goalkicker...those 2 poiunt losses will become events of the past with Garrick kicking...also the experiment of Sullivan at 7 and Hunt at 9 is a good one w Liddle coming on late in the half and Hunt to 5/8 w Amone to the bench...

Parko1310

Juniors
To be fair we have lost 3 games by 2 points or less, then one game by 6...unfortunately a goalkicker has cost us in all those games...alos Hook is a stubborn prick and hence needs to be sackled....but in saying that the first player Hasler should bring in is Garrick...solid Winger/Fullback and a gun goalkicker...those 2 poiunt losses will become events of the past with Garrick kicking...also the experiment of Sullivan at 7 and Hunt at 9 is a good one w Liddle coming on late in the half and Hunt to 5/8 w Amone to the bench...
NRL360 today didn't even mention Des as one of the coaching candidates. He doesn't appear to even be anywhere near discussions to be the next coach, yet somehow Hornby is seemingly the front runner.

justadragon

Bench
Big call on Hasler Mickey and an even bigger one on Garrick

Crush

Coach
NRL360 today didn't even mention Des as one of the coaching candidates. He doesn't appear to even be anywhere near discussions to be the next coach, yet somehow Hornby is seemingly the front runner.
Hard to fathom, Hornby would be a lamb to the slaughterhouse.
Young would be equally bad, if not slightly worse.
Honestly, if it’s either of those two guys I’ll struggle to maintain the level of commitment I have for SGI. Hopefully it doesn’t go that way.

Parko1310

Juniors
Honestly, if it’s either of those two guys I’ll struggle to maintain the level of commitment I have for SGI. Hopefully it doesn’t go that way.
Hornby is the perfect coach for this board. Someone who won't know how to contain their negative influence and will just put up and shut up. The idiots on the board likely think that because he's a premiership winning captain his appointment will please fans and blind them to the misdoings of what they've done over the last 12 or so years. That's how out of touch they are. Hornby will be way in over his head in the role and will just be chewed up by those at the top. Their loyalty to him will keep him in the coach's seat for far too long, which will just see his reputation slowly destroyed with Dragons fans over time. Nobody thinks about how good a player McGregor was anymore, he's now just the shit coach. The same will happen in this case. This board needs to go.

I'm with you, I will struggle if this appointment goes ahead. I will just be so flat knowing we're in for at the very least another 3 years of utter waste and misery. It is driving so many fans to breaking point already, the board just don't care.

steerlerbab

Juniors
Hornby is the perfect coach for this board. Someone who won't know how to contain their negative influence and will just put up and shut up. The idiots on the board likely think that because he's a premiership winning captain his appointment will please fans and blind them to the misdoings of what they've done over the last 12 or so years. That's how out of touch they are. Hornby will be way in over his head in the role and will just be chewed up by those at the top. Their loyalty to him will keep him in the coach's seat for far too long, which will just see his reputation slowly destroyed with Dragons fans over time. Nobody thinks about how good a player McGregor was anymore, he's now just the shit coach. The same will happen in this case. This board needs to go.

I'm with you, I will struggle if this appointment goes ahead. I will just be so flat knowing we're in for at the very least another 3 years of utter waste and misery. It is driving so many fans to breaking point already, the board just don't care.
Hope they don't turn Ben Hornby into another Mary Mcgregor as you said (I remember he was joint captain with Mark Coyne and they took us to 1999 Grand Final). From what I heard today in NRL 360, Hasler is not in mix but Flanno's name
was mentioned. I think Flanno should take the team for 24/25 and Ben can be his assistant to take over 26/27.

I'm Hornby

Juniors
Whilst I understand why the name Hornby would have some negative connotations for you Crush, you did say to me after our loss to the Sharks a few weeks back that a new coach would have an 'instant impact', didn't matter who.

So what has changed since then for you?

I maintain my view that our club's issues run a lot deeper than out current coach but surely an exciting rookie coach who has done apprenticeships under Bennett and Demetriou is someone who would capture your fancy?

Crush

Coach
Interesting comments from Aaron Woods.

It’s a very authoritarian way of management isn’t it? We are going a different direction and I don’t owe you any explanation.
Or to Lomax, take a rest son, we’ll talk later.
Hopefully the next coach knows how to manage people a little better.

TheRev

First Grade
Hasler should bring in is Garrick...solid Winger/Fullback and a gun goalkicker...those 2 poiunt losses will become events of the past with Garrick kicking...
See this is what i thought too, I don't watch many Manly games, but whenever I do.. Garrick see's to hit them so so sweetly..

But I was comparing him to Lomax:reub vs lomax.jpg

Other than the 2023 tee-mishaps they basically have identical stats.. neither is in the 'top tier' of kickers.. but Garrick seems to hit them sweeter.. but the numbers are right there?

hewi

Bench

Coffs dragon

Bench

The drums are beating and no Hasler anywhere. Loved Hornby as a player but we had Price and the peanut who were assistants and now Griffin none succeeded I want a premiership winning coach please. That is runs on the board.
I’d take anyone at this stage that knew & understood the modern game. I thought the Peanut was the pits until along come CCC (Coke Can Coach)
Any wonder his nickname is Hook! FMD just do it….
Well at least Hornby is well respected & has a reputation at the Bunnies of being a smart assistant coach developing their attack.
Pricey, Peanut & CCC never had the coaching reputation to attract decent talent, only dollars was the draw card.
If it is Hornby, paired with Brownie looking after recruitment & pathway systems, I’d be happy.
The further Haran & Millward are moved out the side door, the better.