What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Slippery Morris

First Grade
He did have the odd brain explosion when he played for Saints but did not have any when he played at other clubs when he left. Refs love to penalise Saints for nothing so I could understand why he snapped most times. He was a great player and showed passion. He will do well in the red v coaching box. We may be seeing him blowing up in the box like Bellamy if he is like his playing days. What a sight that would be to see a Dragons coach actually showing some passion.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
He is the more senior that Young or Hornby I feel as he has been away from the club longer and has had longer and better experiences as an assistant being involved in a Grand Final winning team. His time is due for a run as coach.

If they don't get a Grand Final winning coach in Flanno or Hasler, they may as well get a Grand Final winning assistant.

St Tangles

Bench
He did have the odd brain explosion when he played for Saints but did not have any when he played at other clubs when he left. Refs love to penalise Saints for nothing so I could understand why he snapped most times. He was a great player and showed passion. He will do well in the red v coaching box. We may be seeing him blowing up in the box like Bellamy if he is like his playing days. What a sight that would be to see a Dragons coach actually showing some passion.
If he gets the job I will support him.
I'm just not sure an untried coach is what we need now.

I do appreciate the difference in opinions and that the replies to my Initial post have been informative.

Thanks.

TheRev

Coach
I 'hope' that by waiting a year we can learn & copy the bulldogs approach, Gus has spoken about it many times.. its not the coaching that drowns young coaches.. its everything else they get lumped with managing.. so if can put in a quality head of football to replace Haran.. someone who knows what they are doing.. to manage all of the pathways and recruitment.. and god knows what else.. then Ryles or whoever is in a good space to try and coach these kids.

AyiosYiorgos

Coach
To be fair we have lost 3 games by 2 points or less, then one game by 6...unfortunately a goalkicker has cost us in all those games...alos Hook is a stubborn prick and hence needs to be sackled....but in saying that the first player Hasler should bring in is Garrick...solid Winger/Fullback and a gun goalkicker...those 2 poiunt losses will become events of the past with Garrick kicking...also the experiment of Sullivan at 7 and Hunt at 9 is a good one w Liddle coming on late in the half and Hunt to 5/8 w Amone to the bench...
So we have lost 4 games by small margins, say we won them, we would be equal 2nd, do we look like a team or resemble a team that is worthy of 2nd spot, do we play like we have have a game plan or some sort of structure, knowing what we want to achieve in the set of 6, just watch how confused we look, players not knowing their role, where they should be standing etc, we have no depth in our attack, we don't play direct enough, there is nothing crisp about our plays etc.
We need a new coach and about 4 new first grade players and another lot for depth purposes.

SBD82

Coach
Hook needs to go immediately.

The people who appointed him need to be removed immediately.

An interim coach needs to be appointed to serve while the board is re-elected.

Anything short of that, and the club will continue in the same vein as they have for the past decade.

TheRev

Coach
Agree with that Ayios, we clearly arent a Top 8 side with the way we play.. and that was the easy run of teams which is misleading to our real potential.. but I still think we can achieve progress this year.. players can get development.. we can work on combinations.. we make not make finals, but we should be able to get some wins going and that gives us something to help with recruitment.. and it makes our roster more ready for 2024.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Agree with that Ayios, we clearly arent a Top 8 side with the way we play.. and that was the easy run of teams which is misleading to our real potential.. but I still think we can achieve progress this year.. players can get development.. we can work on combinations.. we make not make finals, but we should be able to get some wins going and that gives us something to help with recruitment.. and it makes our roster more ready for 2024.
I wish what you said is true. Recent history unfortunately shows the opposite. Players regress under our systems. They only develop their potential when they go to other clubs. Only a new coach will change that. If Hook stays, Liddle will end up like Mbye, Sullivan will end up like Amone, and Couchman will end up like Billy Burns. Because playing to an average standard and not rocking the boat is what gets you into first grade at the moment.

TheRev

Coach
I wish what you said is true. Recent history unfortunately shows the opposite. Players regress under our systems. They only develop their potential when they go to other clubs. Only a new coach will change that. If Hook stays, Liddle will end up like Mbye, Sullivan will end up like Amone, and Couchman will end up like Billy Burns. Because playing to an average standard and not rocking the boat is what gets you into first grade at the moment.
Oh 100%, but I meant under a different coach haha.. even the interim... there are things we can salvage from the season,. its just a shame we wasted as many games as we have already.

Lovemedragons

Juniors
If it’s Hornby it needs to be with Richo or someone equivalent or not at all.
I fear it’ll be him just to please the fans who think of him as Bambi.
Hornby & Haran, what could go wrong 😩🤬
100% agree. I read something about interest in Richo this morning and for the first time in ages I had a positive feeling. If they are going to go ahead with Hornby, which I suspect they will, then they must have Richo in place there too to take that load and also help setup a winning football culture.

TheRev

Coach
It is possible that we had Hornby (or whoever) in the final stages.. and Ryles came back onto the market.. that might have caused an interesting dilemma...

In terms of a GM of Football, could the club not be planning someone like Brown? Im not saying hes remotely qualified, but unless there is a 3rd role coming.. its the sort of role Brown would leave Parramatta for.. and the sort of ex-dragon our club enjoys.

justadragon

Bench
Nope he's up here on the GC for a week with well at least half of the squad so nothing is going to happen this week. All members have been invited to a 1 hr meeting next Tuesday to ask members of the board a question. It's in Wollongong and a last minute arrangement. You can zoom into the meeting. I walked past half of the squad yesterday when their bus parked outside my apartment complex. They went for a swim and into the Northcliffe SLSC. They didn't make any eye contact. Just wanted to be left alone. I was wearing my dragons gear walking my dog but they just kept eyes down the whole time.
Why would they make eye contact with any Dragons fans, the complete shambles that has happened over the last 5 weeks is embarrassing to say the least. But still we wait for something magical to happen and all of a sudden we go to Townsville and put 50 on them. OMG we may have some dumb arse players, but I know definitely we have a dumb arse Board.

Latest posts