What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Kolum Kid

Juniors
Maybe this is the ravings of a delusional dragons fan but reflecting on the last year and a half and more recently the presses I think Hook has realised that a. He is a dead coach walking and b.he has been used without the support(ie Moneyball recruiting)reportedly the lowest paid first grade coach in the comp. He has just been used to start up the pathways, hold the line with the purse strings shut tighter than a ducks arse until the preferred one is available in 2024. The salary cap would be healthy, most of the deadwood will be moved on. I thought Deano would be in line but In my opinion he needs more experience and some runs on the board. On another tangent Geraldo recently signed a new contract with Panthets with an interesting get out clause. If he takes up the contract he will honour it, however if another club was to sign him before 1Nov he can leave. On top of the speculation by jurnos on the footy show where they suggested that the Tigers and the Dogs were not suitable, however he would be a good fit for the Dragons. Who ever takes the job should insist on a clean sweep of the assist coaches and recruiting team. At the same time he should tell the board to get their snouts back into the trough and leave the coaching to him. Ramble over

Slippery Morris

First Grade
When the Board in its wisdom deided to resign Hook before the start of the season why wasnt there a performance clause included or is there ? Surely the Board would have learnt from the Mary fiasco and included one in Hooks contract from the start.
I thought they did add clauses hence his payout will not be as big as we think. It was previously reported somewhere hence why they are meeting now and not after the season.

Mojo

Bench
I admit up-front that I probably have no idea of what's wrong or what's needed (it's all behind closed doors and the truth is almost always very different to appearances), but ...

If I were a professional NRL player, listening to Hook and some of the Dragon's assistant coaches week in and week out, seeing several, pretty average players recruited when they are close to the end of their careers, consistently underperforming and yet being selected every week, and at the same time seeing some young talented players dealing with a you're in/ you're out revolving door at the very start of their first grade careers, and the former structural issue seeming to be the major cause for the latter, I reckon I'd be scratching my head and wondering wtf am I supposed to be doing here?

I assumed Hook's core strategy was to buy some level-headed older dudes, flick some of the players who he judged to be 'culturally counter-productive', and work steadily towards building a high-performing, high-spirited squad. Fair enough, good, I like it!

Maybe there's been politics and other BS that has impeded the strategy. Maybe he's known all-along that his time was limited. Who knows? In any case, it's gone pear-shaped and changes have to be made.

Whether Hook stays or goes, he was a brave man to take on the role when he did.

It's a team sport and, very obviously, what we haven't got happening right now is a cohesive team.

It's just sad to see Saints hoping, year after year, for a miracle worker to take over as the coach or for a messiah to appear amongst the playing ranks.

Last edited:

Illusion

Bench
I thought they did add clauses hence his payout will not be as big as we think. It was previously reported somewhere hence why they are meeting now and not after the season.
Its probably more to shut us up , and then They'll come up with something like they did with Mary , they have a group of whoever in place to keep an eye on the coach ...... Time will tell lets hope they do the right thing , Flanno can take over then they can reassess ......

denis preston

First Grade
I was at todays game. A few observations.

Burns was easily our best forward and deserves to start next week. Poked his nose through the line often and was awesome for his first game.

Ramsey and Hunt played their guts out all day and can hold their heads high.

JDB was off today.
Lomax was fantastic in the 1st half. Quite the opposite in the 2nd.

Watching the Chooks warm up pre game you could see Joey Manu was ready for a huge game. He was on like donkey kong and he ripped us apart all day.

Woods can get the f**k out of here right now.

Saints actually played quite well in the 1st half and even my rooster mates were nervous at half time.
Has Woods played enough games to get a contract for next season ? If not then the CEO has to get involved and make sure he doesnt.

matPORTS

Juniors
Maybe this is the ravings of a delusional dragons fan but reflecting on the last year and a half and more recently the presses I think Hook has realised that a. He is a dead coach walking and b.he has been used without the support(ie Moneyball recruiting)reportedly the lowest paid first grade coach in the comp. He has just been used to start up the pathways, hold the line with the purse strings shut tighter than a ducks arse until the preferred one is available in 2024. The salary cap would be healthy, most of the deadwood will be moved on. I thought Deano would be in line but In my opinion he needs more experience and some runs on the board. On another tangent Geraldo recently signed a new contract with Panthets with an interesting get out clause. If he takes up the contract he will honour it, however if another club was to sign him before 1Nov he can leave. On top of the speculation by jurnos on the footy show where they suggested that the Tigers and the Dogs were not suitable, however he would be a good fit for the Dragons. Who ever takes the job should insist on a clean sweep of the assist coaches and recruiting team. At the same time he should tell the board to get their snouts back into the trough and leave the coaching to him. Ramble over

I do tend to agree.

Despite the deadwood, Hook has turned our salary cap back around the right way - Norman is already gone, and the likes of McCullough, Mbye, Woods, Burgess, Moga, etc will be gone soon enough as well (not that they are on massive coin). The next thing will be the transition of Ben Hunt as if he is staying beyond 2023, it will have to be on significantly reduced coin and he will have to be playing Hooker (and in all fairness Hook is probably the right guy to be having this conversation with him).

The massive concern for most of the supporter group right now is - we have yet to realise any 'net improvement' in our on field results, and we have yet to see any significant strides in the development of juniors who've been coming through the system over the last say three years.

It's only in probably the last two months that Ramsey & Amone have started to show some glimpses of their true potential. Sullivan, Sloan, and still to some extent the Feagais, have yet to show us what they are capable of (but we know it's there). In the earlier years of the JV our junior system was a massive 'forwards factory'. Of the current crop of potentials who are on the cusp of first grade, there is not one middle or edge forward yet knocking on the door (Jackson Ford was the last of note who now seems to have fallen by the wayside).

There is no denying that Hook has had a tough task, as we were a mess before Ryan Webb took over as CEO and put somewhat of a stop to the old boys club which was undoubtedly helping to keep Mary & Young in their positions (had Mary been able to see out his contract in 2021 - I believe we would have got the spoon without a doubt). But we can't keep doing this - and a lot of this is on the players now as well. If the majority of the playing group is not responding to Hook, his methods and his legion of assistants/staff, then we need to end this 'tranistion period' ASAP and employ a coach whom:

1. Is a development coach (i.e. is going to give our juniors a fair crack and not be conservative in terms of prioritising the plodders week-to-week - yes you need a balance of plodders in your top 30 though but there has to be more attractive prospects out there than what we currently have)

2. Has a 'win at all costs' mentality and accepts nothing less from the playing group (and not afraid to send underperformers packing back to reserve grade or out the door if standards are not being met)

Flannagan, Ciraldo and Slater would meet this criteria I feel.

JohnnoMcJohnno

Juniors
Seriously what are the Board going to do? If they sack Hook now it's more disruptive than BBQ gate and you can expect results to go down the sh*t chute. If they keep Hook now they've flagged the fact they don't think much of him, he'll probably start looking for his next opportunity, and you can expect results to go down the sh*t chute. All the board meeting shows is the board is incompetent, firstly by extending Hooks contract in the first place, and then by creating major uncertainty over the butt end of the season. Whatever happens now, we won't make the eight, we have no hope of attracting a proven coach, and we have no hope of attracting decent players. To me this looks like absolutely the worst thing the Board could do.

denis preston

First Grade
Maybe I'm asking for trouble but I want to see Dean Young back in coach's seat at the Dragons at some point.

He is everything that Hook is not.

Passionate about the red v not just earning his keep.
Adaptable, and able to move with the times, not set on his ways
Has been part of a recent success

Did I mention he is passionate about the red v? Reckon passion would have seen us in the eight this year.
Didn't set the world on fire in his short stint with us as HC. If he is anything like his dad he will have communication issues with players that are not visible as AC. McMuppett also bleed red & white and where did that get us ?

justadragon

Bench
I think the only option is Flannagan to step in for the rest of the season and see how he performs whilst they decide on what to do next. I was listening to fox and it ticked me off that he seemed to have all the answers to the dragons problems so why are they not being implemented or at least given a go. He is part of the club WTF is going on at the coaching levels at the dragons. Also if I was Flannagan would I be assisting Hook knowing that I could be a frontrunner for his job if it all goes to shite , which it has. My thoughts were there was always something wrong by having a premiership winning coach sitting in the background doing some half arsed job, whilst the head coach is floundering, you guys can work out the mechanics of that situation. Another season of poor state of affairs by the board, with a topline decision to resign Hook falling flat on their arses, maybe they should have considered team performance and success rather than come up with a lame duck excuse of team stability. Wow its really stable at the Dragons now, we couldnt be in a better place, AGAIN !!!!

since77

Juniors
I think the only option is Flannagan to step in for the rest of the season and see how he performs whilst they decide on what to do next. I was listening to fox and it ticked me off that he seemed to have all the answers to the dragons problems so why are they not being implemented or at least given a go. He is part of the club WTF is going on at the coaching levels at the dragons. Also if I was Flannagan would I be assisting Hook knowing that I could be a frontrunner for his job if it all goes to shite , which it has. My thoughts were there was always something wrong by having a premiership winning coach sitting in the background doing some half arsed job, whilst the head coach is floundering, you guys can work out the mechanics of that situation. Another season of poor state of affairs by the board, with a topline decision to resign Hook falling flat on their arses, maybe they should have considered team performance and success rather than come up with a lame duck excuse of team stability. Wow its really stable at the Dragons now, we couldnt be in a better place, AGAIN !!!!
Listening to Flanagan’s commentary he actually sounds like a smart coach analysing the game as it unfolds and the differing strengths and weaknesses of the opposing teams. I honestly don’t think there’s a better viable option on the market than him at the moment.

Dragon David

First Grade
To be fair, aren't the bold parts what the players loved about Mary?
I am sure that most of the players who were coached by Mary loved him. The problem I think was that he got too close to them over the years and more or less became too matey with them, especially Cam McInnes. We know what sort of coach he was and whether or not his "closeness" to the players let him down, he didn't have what was necessary as a coach to maintain consistent good results.

Talking about Cams, congratulations to Cam Smith for winning the claret jug trophy at St Andrews Scotland this morning. His putting was absolutely sublime to enable him to scoot ahead of Rory McIlroy to win the 150th British Open. A great day for the Aussies at the golf.

justadragon

Bench
I am sure that most of the players who were coached by Mary loved him. The problem I think was that he got too close to them over the years and more or less became too matey with them, especially Cam McInnes. We know what sort of coach he was and whether or not his "closeness" to the players let him down, he didn't have what was necessary as a coach to maintain consistent good results.

Talking about Cams, congratulations to Cam Smith for winning the claret jug trophy at St Andrews Scotland this morning. His putting was absolutely sublime to enable him to scoot ahead of Rory McIlroy to win the 150th British Open. A great day for the Aussies at the golf.
Yep well said Dave, that did brighten up my rather dismal weekend, good on him.

Dragon David

First Grade
When the Board in its wisdom deided to resign Hook before the start of the season why wasnt there a performance clause included or is there ? Surely the Board would have learnt from the Mary fiasco and included one in Hooks contract from the start.
We don't know what is included in the contract Hook signed to extend his tenure into 2023. If our Board was dumb enough to not include a "get out" clause based on poor performance results, then they should be booted out...... well.....!!?

RedVee_8

Juniors
Craig Young was at the game and interviewed on Fox before hand talking about the St G Dragons delayed Centenary celebrations, giving the web address , talking about the various teams that would / have been picked. He finished the interview with ‘we just have to win today’.
I wonder how peed off he was by the second half (lack of) effort? Peed enough to call for a board meeting? Maybe.

Ghostrider22

Juniors
Hey

BBTB

Juniors
The Dragons are well & truly up the creek without a paddle. Hook is not up to it.
You could tell months ago'Hook had lost the dressing room.Those QLD F.CKED Units McCullough, McGuire then Woods & Bird.
Are all bludgers. With Kerr, Ford & Mbye not much better. Total cleanout needed including Hook, Gentle & all the coaching staff. Need to start over. Hook is out of touch, and his staff are useless. We have the worst Defence in the competition. From what I've seen the attack is no better.

Latest posts