What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

Lovemedragons

Juniors
I was hoping sometime during the last off season (December time or thereabouts) that with the signing of Hook as our coach in 2021 this type of thread would not be created and that all the negatives that we have had to endure from 2012 onwards would be turned into positives, but alas, this type of thread has indeed surfaced and has been gaining momentum.

The posts are looking similar to what was said during the coaching downlights of Price and McGregor. But in saying this I think we are a bit premature in saying Hook should be given the flick and we should wait until next year to see if Hook and Co have put in place a team capable of playing good football consistently and winning the majority of games for at least half of the season and our culture has improved 100%.

It has been a bloody tough assignment for our coaches so hopefully things will change for the better.

These last 4 games I'm writing us off and in December of this year, during the off season, I will be hoping that this thread will lose momentum and not surface in 2022.
While I agree with your sentiment and we all wish such a thread did not appear but in terms of 'what we've had to endure since 2012' I think we've had enough - yet we can see the same pattern repeating, sadly, We again have a limited helmsman who has the unfortunate quality of also being very stubborn and unwilling to accept his mistakes. None of his selections has come off to date yet they're persisted with out of sheer bloody mindedness. I cite the continued selection of Norman and the stories going round that Bird will again be named at fullback this week. Very McGregor like, very Price like.
Not a single player has improved under his tutelage, indeed many have lost any confidence they may have had in February.
I know I am grim but I've seen this show before and I'm getting too old and impatient to endure an endless stretch of ineptness.
I supported St George as a kid because of their greatness, something the current club has no idea about.

Dragon David

First Grade
While I agree with your sentiment and we all wish such a thread did not appear but in terms of 'what we've had to endure since 2012' I think we've had enough - yet we can see the same pattern repeating, sadly, We again have a limited helmsman who has the unfortunate quality of also being very stubborn and unwilling to accept his mistakes. None of his selections has come off to date yet they're persisted with out of sheer bloody mindedness. I cite the continued selection of Norman and the stories going round that Bird will again be named at fullback this week. Very McGregor like, very Price like.
Not a single player has improved under his tutelage, indeed many have lost any confidence they may have had in February.
I know I am grim but I've seen this show before and I'm getting too old and impatient to endure an endless stretch of ineptness.
I supported St George as a kid because of their greatness, something the current club has no idea about.
I can also see that similar patterns of the past years have emerged. I too find it hard to see reasoning behind the selection of Norman when he is gonski from the club at the end of this season and the selection of Bird at fullback. If he is persisting with Norman, I cannot see why he cannot use Dufty at fullback and put Bird back in the centres. Sloan should also definitely be considered but I think Hook still wants to gradually bring him through the right way and that is for him to build up and learn many more things prior to next year's season starting.

Hook is the coach, he has his reasons and I'm banking on him to get us in the 8 next year.

OneEyedDragon

Juniors
I saw this article in the JA forum, interesting read.
Yes, is RCG still at Penrith? No, the dud was moved on. Training was probably too hard for him. Hook Forever (or at least until the end of 2022!)

This was Dean Young's finest attribute no matter what you thought of him as interim coach. We were and perhaps still very much looking for an outsider to come in and save the club but maybe it is only love that can really save us.

Where is the love?
I couldn’t believe the amount of fans trashing Dean Young last year, and especially when he took over.

He may not be the bloke who was best to take over the top job but Dean Young was born into this club and had dedicated pretty much his whole life to the dragons… including playing his guts out every single match of his career.

Anyone who has derogatory comments about Dean young isn’t a true fan of the dragons IMO.

There’s other words to describe them, not fit for a public forum.

thebigredv

First Grade
I couldn’t believe the amount of fans trashing Dean Young last year, and especially when he took over.

He may not be the bloke who was best to take over the top job but Dean Young was born into this club and had dedicated pretty much his whole life to the dragons… including playing his guts out every single match of his career.

Anyone who has derogatory comments about Dean young isn’t a true fan of the dragons IMO.

There’s other words to describe them, not fit for a public forum.

Can you imagine any of our current players scoring and then kissing the logo??

Pride back in the red and white jersey and suddenly we are winning games like on Friday night.

Can you imagine any of our current players scoring and then kissing the logo??

Pride back in the red and white jersey and suddenly we are winning games like on Friday night.
Not a single one.

It was the single biggest thing by far that disgusted me about last year - the mindless, ignorant, abhorrent, moronic trashing of Dean Young by some dragons “fans”..

I’ve got no time for anyone who was/is derogatory of him. The best part of these people dribbled down their mothers leg…

People can be respectfully critical of his coaching and results, decisions etc, no drama whatsoever…

but having a go at his character, integrity etc etc is just beyond me.

Dragon David

First Grade
The majority can all kiss my arse after BBQ gate as far as I’m concerned. Over them!
This bloody BBQ will haunt this club for years. When players ignore instructions off the field then it is easy for them to ignore them on the field. I hope Webby and Hooksy gave the players a nasty dressing down and big warnings. If not, they would not have done their job.

Maddragon99

Juniors
The majority can all kiss my arse after BBQ gate as far as I’m concerned. Over them!
I guess that’s the point. The BBQ wouldn’t have happened under Bennett the players had too much respect for him. Griffin was meant to be a disciplinarian which I thought was what the team needed. Instead every week Griffin comes up with different excuses never accepting any personal responsibility.

Said it before we should cut our losses & make a big dollar play for Bennett for next year. Bring Taane Milne with him, he’s yet another player we let go too early. I’m sure he loved scoring against us the other week.

BBTB

Juniors
I guess that’s the point. The BBQ wouldn’t have happened under Bennett the players had too much respect for him. Griffin was meant to be a disciplinarian which I thought was what the team needed. Instead every week Griffin comes up with different excuses never accepting any personal responsibility.

Said it before we should cut our losses & make a big dollar play for Bennett for next year. Bring Taane Milne with him, he’s yet another player we let go too early. I’m sure he loved scoring against us the other week.
I think Hook should be given a chance.2021 is a coaching
Nightmare. The team has had no stability. Players in and out of team.Changes through suspension.(Rava,McGuire, Fumiomi,)Through injuries (Hunt).Then the infamy of the dreaded BBQ
Suspension. Not an ideal start,for even a seasoned Coach. I'd like to see what unfolds next year,before giving an opinion on Hook.

Dragon David

First Grade
Nightmare. The team has had no stability. Players in and out of team.Changes through suspension.(Rava,McGuire, Fumiomi,)Through injuries (Hunt).Then the infamy of the dreaded BBQ
Suspension. Not an ideal start,for even a seasoned Coach. I'd like to see what unfolds next year,before giving an opinion on Hook.
Same here.

Maddragon99

Juniors
I think a lot of the issues Griffin has had to deal with he’s brought on himself.

Interesting that Jason Ryles is back in Aust after his English Rugby gig was cut short by COVID. He’s signed with the Roosters next year as Fitzgibbon’s replacement. This means he’s served apprenticeships under Robinson & Bellamy & will be available in 2023. Hmmmm

Latest posts