What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack Griffin

The Mole reporting Sloan and Sullivan were told this is griffins final year as coach.

If true -and nothing suggests it isnt - that just confirms how little the people running our club go about their privileged role with tenacity or hunger for success. More rolling through the motions again next year, so much to get excited about

Link to the article you mentioned -

Slippery Morris

First Grade
It only makes sense for them to change their minds. Sad thing is 2023 will be a dud year by keeping Hook there only because the club is to tight to sack him and pay him out. His expectations (KPI's) must have been pretty low and not one to have based on playing finals footy which is scary. I hope we get a tough draw early on at least and play the gun sides at the start of 2023 as you would rather lose those games than the ones expected to win. We can only hope a new coach comes in mid season and they can pull off a run of 10+ games unbeaten to give them any hope of unlikely finals.

st.phil

Bench
Who cares about the extension. It was probably the right decision at the time.

the fact is, that the club has to grow a back bone and sack him NOW. Regardless of his contract situation.

anything less just shows how little they think of their fans and sponsors.
At the time ? That was 6 months ago...

denis preston

First Grade
Yes because same reporter's colleague and himself had agendas especially as he says he is a Dragons supporter.
Never heard same reporter bag Griffin at Penrith or when Gus brought him in.
Does not matter as I said it is Dragons hunting season and the fact that they chased down Matt Cooper for 2 articles in 2 weeks when he has been out of the media sunlight for some time for personal reasons. Loved Coops as a player and wish him well.
Hold on BLM , he was just saying what 95% on here have saying for at least 6 months ? Agendas or not, is his article correct?

justadragon

Bench

VodkaSaint

Juniors
This is one time I’m not looking ahead into a new year, the player won’t give a shit about onfield performance to make sure he is gone.
The change has to be made now, the mess will get worse and another year and possibly the worst year the saints will have, not just on the field but off it as well, I have never seen such talk from players about a coach like this before, he needs to go now, our board is gutless, underperforming , and just plain clueless
I love my league and I won’t be waisting my time next year as I will be going to other games as well just to enjoy the game again .
If an interim coach needs to come so be it .

Illusion

Bench
Not telling us fans anything we didnt already know, Hook is a dead man walking, the only thing to save him is that we have this miraculous finish to 2023 and win the comp. And one day it will stop raining, and we will all win Lotto :))
What sits in my mind is if Hook was to string 3 to 4 games in a row at the start of the season , with Hunt pushing for the resigning , that might happen ...... Seen the same thing with Mary ( you would think they have learnt their lesson ) but no this lot ...... Then again leaving Hook there to fail is all setting up IMO for D.Young to take over ......

Coffs dragon

Bench
This is one time I’m not looking ahead into a new year, the player won’t give a shit about onfield performance to make sure he is gone.
The change has to be made now, the mess will get worse and another year and possibly the worst year the saints will have, not just on the field but off it as well, I have never seen such talk from players about a coach like this before, he needs to go now, our board is gutless, underperforming , and just plain clueless
I love my league and I won’t be waisting my time next year as I will be going to other games as well just to enjoy the game again .
Why can’t our useless bloody club just flick Hook now as there is absolute no use in keeping him on if the decision is already made.
Surely assistant coaches Ryan Carr & Ben Woolf can jointly step up and have Nathan Brown as a lending hand mentoring, until Dean Young is able n ready for 2024!
Come on Dragons……do something and don’t right off another year.

Dragon David

First Grade
Who cares about the extension. It was probably the right decision at the time.

the fact is, that the club has to grow a back bone and sack him NOW. Regardless of his contract situation.

anything less just shows how little they think of their fans and sponsors.
Some articles written about Hooks extension are as below:

At the time it appeared to be the right decision as far as the club was concerned and so too by some of the commentary.

It is now clear that the decision made by the Dragons in February 2022 to extend Hooks tenure to the end of 2023 was wrong and to show that they have made an error in their judgment, they should bite the bullet and do a Manly and Tigers move by sacking him before the start of 2023. In fact before the start of the pre-season.

jeffdragon

Bench
But at the same time the players should also pull their heads in and show what they can do.
Show a bit if pride in themselves.

Besides the amount of money that would be required for Hook's payout, could it be that part of the board's reluctance to sack him is that they are waiting for his potential successor to become available, as in Dean Young who's contract with the Cowboys expires at the end of 2023?

justadragon

Bench
What sits in my mind is if Hook was to string 3 to 4 games in a row at the start of the season , with Hunt pushing for the resigning , that might happen ...... Seen the same thing with Mary ( you would think they have learnt their lesson ) but no this lot ...... Then again leaving Hook there to fail is all setting up IMO for D.Young to take over ......
Is the draw out for next year ? what are our first 5 games ?, if its top 8 sides then that should seal it.

Parko1310

Juniors
Is the draw out for next year ? what are our first 5 games ?, if its top 8 sides then that should seal it.
Think the draw comes out in December at some time, maybe late November. I can't think of a single team we are more than a 50/50 chance of beating in rounds 1 and 2 because Molo is suspended. We are in real trouble next year. Our front row is so tragically bad it's not funny. Without Molo, I think if we do want to win in round 1 the best we can hope for is playing the Warriors again. Maybe the Knights. And then possibly the Tigers if their new signings haven't clicked yet. Anyone else in round 1 and I think we are beat.