What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

FlameThrower

Bench
Very interesting stuff, but not sure we are wilfully reading too much into all of this...
What are the thoughts of everyone here if a quick Dragons fix is to move JD into FG as assistant coach and move Hornby / Young away instead? Assume the Cleary thing does not happen?

Coffs dragon

Bench
Very interesting stuff, but not sure we are wilfully reading too much into all of this...
What are the thoughts of everyone here if a quick Dragons fix is to move JD into FG as assistant coach and move Hornby / Young away instead? Assume the Cleary thing does not happen?
If the club cannot afford to payout Marys contract, then make him coach the Cutters. If Jason Demetriou was given the Head Coach role for the Dragons, I would like to see him have a highly experienced assistant to help him. Someone like Matt Elliot with a sound knowledge of the game. I feel it's time to break up the old boys brigade in Hornby and Young and let them ply their trade away from the Dragons and let the better credentialed one return down the track.

St Georgio

Juniors
Today on triple m I hear James Hooper say Good News for the dragons Nene has agreed to a 3yr contract, I was clutchingsg my left nut excepting to hear Ivan Cleary has agreed to 3 years.

Last edited:

thebigredv

First Grade
Today on triple m I hear James Hooper say Good News for the dragons Nene has agreed to a 3 contract, I was clutching my left nut excepting to hear Ivan Cleary has agreed to 3 years.
Sounds like he really doesn't want to leave Gold Coast but the money is just too tempting. Probably will run around with no passion for a while and accept big pay and then return to GC quickly. An all too familiar story. Remember when it was a privilege to wear the red v? Thanks Price and Doust and thanks to the idiots who hired you both.

Dragons 09

Juniors
I often read that we can't afford to pay Mary out, anyone know how much the impostor is on per season? Surely paying him out wouldn't break the bank. A rookie coach with no credentials at the top level apart from failed strength and conditioning and water boy roles couldn't be on anymore than $150K. If we can't afford to pay that out, how the hell can we pay for a real coach? I personally don't think it has anything to do with not being able to pay him off, it's all about not upsetting the Illawarra contingent by sacking a club legend........i think a diplomatic solution is being foiled to slide Mary sideways and maintaining his and the Steelers/supporters dignity at the same time.

I often read that we can't afford to pay Mary out, anyone know how much the impostor is on per season? Surely paying him out wouldn't break the bank. A rookie coach with no credentials at the top level apart from failed strength and conditioning and water boy roles couldn't be on anymore than $150K. If we can't afford to pay that out, how the hell can we pay for a real coach? I personally don't think it has anything to do with not being able to pay him off, it's all about not upsetting the Illawarra contingent by sacking a club legend........i think a diplomatic solution is being foiled to slide Mary sideways and maintaining his and the Steelers/supporters dignity at the same time.
Sorry to say thats a load of bullshit.

Lots of Illawarra people want him gone and using the Steelers supporters dignity spin you certainly have pulled that statement out of thin air or your arse.

BennyV

Referee
Sorry to say thats a load of bullshit.

Lots of Illawarra people want him gone and using the Steelers supporters dignity spin you certainly have pulled that statement out of thin air or your arse.
I think he's referring to the Illawarra side of the Board. Which is a fair comment, considering the comments of Mr O'Connor prior to his appointment.

Coffs dragon

Bench
So finally it's being reported by the Mole in RLW today that the Dragons are interested in appointing Ivan Cleary as Director of Coaching for 2017. He claims Cleary would be in charge of both coaches and players & Mary would remain under a new structure. Also states recruitment will be totally restructured after failing to miss out on some targeted signings.
Although it's only small steps.......at least it's a much needed and warranted change. Just hope Tony Adams is right with his story.

So finally it's being reported by the Mole in RLW today that the Dragons are interested in appointing Ivan Cleary as Director of Coaching for 2017. He claims Cleary would be in charge of both coaches and players & Mary would remain under a new structure. Also states recruitment will be totally restructured after failing to miss out on some targeted signings.
Although it's only small steps.......at least it's a much needed and warranted change. Just hope Tony Adams is right with his story.

I dead set don't understand such a structure, I really don't. Why not just replace Mary with Cleary? Far more efficient (in obtaining results) and cheaper.

Surely it's not Mary's feelings alone that are at play here. It must be the morbidly stupid/selfish Illawarra faction of the board digging their heels in.

We're actually in a much worse situation than I realised.

Straight Shooter

Coffs dragon

Bench
I dead set don't understand such a structure, I really don't. Why not just replace Mary with Cleary? Far more efficient (in obtaining results) and cheaper.

Surely it's not Mary's feelings alone that are at play here. It must be the morbidly stupid/selfish Illawarra faction of the board digging their heels in.

Straight Shooter
Based on past similar appointments......it usually means the beginning of the end!!!!!
I agree with just speed the process and make Cleary Head Coach.

God-King Dean

Immortal
IF this is true, IF.....

Making Cleary head of coaching just puts emmence pressure on McGreger to perform. If they are shit again, they just don't re-sign him, & Cleary gets offered the job.

Based on past similar appointments......it usually means the beginning of the end!!!!!
I agree with just speed the process and make Cleary Head Coach.

Yes.. Thankfully .. The 'end is nigh'.

"... For starters, “Mary” will get more help, with the appointment of a director of coaching to advise and mentor both the coach and players."

Given the personalities .. This is not a sustainable or desired position. A recipe that will only go to further disorienting team harmony and information.

Whilst this structure is probable to satisfy factions and save face.. It will not run the journey .. Just another weak -kneed reactionary measure.

since77

Juniors
OV is right on this one. The message it sends to the players and organisation is soft - 2016 was nearly ok and with a few minor tweaks everything will be fine. In practical terms though it's just asking for instability.

Red V for life

Juniors
If what's reported is correct, then maybe, just maybe the idea is to push Mary to quit. After all, under this new structure he has virtually no say, influence...anything. He would be a hand puppet.

As to why this approach...politics, money...maybe Cleary wants to assemble his own roster before taking over (fits in with the reported new direction on recruitment). For some reason it's just not desirable to turf him outright.

Me personally, it smacks of a new regime being slowly brought in.

Is it my preferred outcome? No, but it does seem like meaningful change is on the cards.

BennyV

Referee

Straight Shooter
100% correct.

What do we gain from this? If we are successful next year, Mary gloats that he's now received the mentor ship he needed and gets resigned long term, despite the fact that Cleary was pulling the strings.
If we aren't successful (highly likely given the egos at play) then it becomes a finger pointing, and it's very obvious that when push comes to shove, those on the board will back their friends no matter what.

This fully reeks of the board doing everything possible to try and set their mate McGregor up for life. They realised he sucks as a coach, but instead of giving him the flick like he deserves, they are a) looking to implement a system where they can blame someone else, and/or b) looking to shove a square peg into a round hole and try to force Mary to learn to coach before signing him up long term.

All at the expense of the Dragons team and fans.

IF this is true, IF.....

Making Cleary head of coaching just puts emmence pressure on McGreger to perform. If they are shit again, they just don't re-sign him, & Cleary gets offered the job.
IF this is true, IF.....

But if the team doesn't perform, is Clearly also considered a failure? So many conflicts, so messy.

The head coach is responsible for team performance, full stop. Don't need this political muddying of waters.

Straight Shooter

Coffs dragon

Bench
But if the team doesn't perform, is Clearly also considered a failure? So many conflicts, so messy.

The head coach is responsible for team performance, full stop. Don't need this political muddying of waters.

Straight Shooter
I'd be backing that Cleary might be appointed Director of coaching in 2016 and will mould his systems and structure into the organization. A lot will play out over the off season and I reckon Mary will resign to peruse business interests, thereby avoid being sacked and Cleary will be Head Coach by kick off 2017. Just my gut feeling that this situation will play out with plenty of spin to avoid damaged egos and poor decision making.