What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

since77

Juniors
As an Eels supporter - I feel sorry for you guys. There is nothing worse than having a coach that you have no faith in but are somewhat powerless to do anything about. I felt your pain in the Kearney years when it was blatantly obvious that the side was never going to improve under him so we felt like we had to wait it out and hope the damage caused is not irreparable.

But even he wasn't really sacked - he 'resigned' when he realised he wasn't up to it. Maybe McGregor will do the same - although it is unlikely as he has made a finals series so probably thinks he goes ok. Kearney never got close to a final series.

I am an old fashioned guy and really hate seeing great clubs struggling - including my own. Even though I hate Manly because I have to, these clubs made the comp what it is today - not the Titans or bloody Storm.

Well said, and it pains me to say it, but that try Parra scored last night finished off with that kick to French was the highlight of the game - was a cracker of a try.

TruSaint

Referee
As an Eels supporter - I feel sorry for you guys. There is nothing worse than having a coach that you have no faith in but are somewhat powerless to do anything about. I felt your pain in the Kearney years when it was blatantly obvious that the side was never going to improve under him so we felt like we had to wait it out and hope the damage caused is not irreparable.

But even he wasn't really sacked - he 'resigned' when he realised he wasn't up to it. Maybe McGregor will do the same - although it is unlikely as he has made a finals series so probably thinks he goes ok. Kearney never got close to a final series.

I am an old fashioned guy and really hate seeing great clubs struggling - including my own. Even though I hate Manly because I have to, these clubs made the comp what it is today - not the Titans or bloody Storm.

Nice post mate...
You guys have been through heel and back this year.

Mary should but wont walk. Its in every thing he has said and done all year. Watch 1 presser you have seen 24 of them.

Unless sacked we have him at the helm next year.

FlameThrower

Bench
Neil Evans reported on Twitter than changes to coaching/mamagement to be announced as early as next week for the Dragons.

Can't wait for this season to finish as I feel that is what the club is also waiting for to make these changes. Not a bad move really as bringing in a new guy mid season, the players all of a sudden lift and they win games. Then a year later after the temporary coach is signed they team goes back to square one. E.g Mary, Fittler, etc.Every team lifts when they change coach mid season and is not a true reflection imo.

The new coach can come from scratch and have a full off season. If Saints don't get a new coach then hopefully something else will change. I am sure Saints can use his results, blow up with players, and DUI as a good reason for dismissal when they do his performance review. Wait and see.

The board are under as much pressure as Mary so I think by sacking him they will get let off the hook so will make the change happen. If they keep him and it gets worse then they can lose their jobs. For them to keep Mary they will certainly need to make some big changes in the coaching ranks like getting Cleary as Coaching Director. I bet Cleary comes in with the view of making Hornby/Young better coaches so they can take over in the future.
If Club does nothing with the mounting pressure I'd say we can kiss 2017 goodbye.

possm

Coach
Surely, the Board must realise it's time to sack Mary; no ifs or buts. For there is a big chance that each one of them, xmpt Gordon's son, will get the boot when Gordon/WIN TV takes control.

Reactions: Qdf

Sigurd

Juniors
If Club does nothing with the mounting pressure I'd say we can kiss 2017 goodbye.

I think it's (2017) already a write-off. I'm more interested in seeing if the club is willing to start making (more) changes now so that 2018 and onward are good years. It's only hooker, 1/2 and 5/8, probably the 3 most important positions, we are severely lacking in. Now a few young, fast outside backs have been recruited or are coming through the grades, this area we were severely lacking in for most of this season looks to be sorted.

blacksafake

First Grade
I think it's (2017) already a write-off. I'm more interested in seeing if the club is willing to start making (more) changes now so that 2018 and onward are good years. It's only hooker, 1/2 and 5/8, probably the 3 most important positions, we are severely lacking in. Now a few young, fast outside backs have been recruited or are coming through the grades, this area we were severely lacking in for most of this season looks to be sorted.
You forgot the most important position of the lot, The coach is the main problem & while he's there it will remain the same.

St Georgio

Juniors
I wonder if this thread will become the greatest of all time, many here believe McGregor will see out his contract, 2017 will be a long season, so I would imagine it will reach over a 111111 ( 11 in a row) views no problem.

TruSaint

Referee
Watching them in the sheds, I can see why he's lost the interest in the players. Couldn't hear what was said obviously, but lots of finger pointing & glaring going on.

Comes off as a self-promoting bully. Can't stand the merkin.

Didnt see that, but even if half the rumours are true, his man management is shite... and has lost the respect of most players.

Gareth67

First Grade

Forward Pass , I am know that there are one or two Dragon Forum members , that are somewhat - " old-fashioned " , both in thinking and in some cases , age . Those that can count just how many competition points that our team have amassed this year , will realise that the recipe that the head cook is using , is wrong , bloody wrong !

In those lean Kearney years that Parramatta went through ,they finally signed a number of decent coachs , and with Brad Arthur being one of the better in recent times . One always expects their team to continue on through the years with a few minor ' hiccups ' along the way , but always we believe that success is just around the corner , if not this year , then next year .

As did Parramatta and Manly , I hope that the Joint Venture can remedy their problems that are so evident at present ,both financial and with the fiasco that is called a Board .
Our fans need some hope for season 2017 , we cannot put-up with the same mediocrity that was dished-out to us by that apprentice cook the team had this year .

Last edited:

Gomarchin

Juniors
As much as I hate Mary as our coach, he didn't appoint himself, the board did. What I cannot understand is why the 3 years?

If we had the final year in the club's favour we'd be looking at a new competent coach that could start to re-build. What do we have now?

Another year of boring, conservative, 'high completions', opposition tries of kicks don't count, and our identity is 'D' bullshit.

nrlnrl

First Grade
Neil Evans reported on Twitter than changes to coaching/mamagement to be announced as early as next week for the Dragons.

Can't wait for this season to finish as I feel that is what the club is also waiting for to make these changes. Not a bad move really as bringing in a new guy mid season, the players all of a sudden lift and they win games. Then a year later after the temporary coach is signed they team goes back to square one. E.g Mary, Fittler, etc.Every team lifts when they change coach mid season and is not a true reflection imo.

The new coach can come from scratch and have a full off season. If Saints don't get a new coach then hopefully something else will change. I am sure Saints can use his results, blow up with players, and DUI as a good reason for dismissal when they do his performance review. Wait and see.

The board are under as much pressure as Mary so I think by sacking him they will get let off the hook so will make the change happen. If they keep him and it gets worse then they can lose their jobs. For them to keep Mary they will certainly need to make some big changes in the coaching ranks like getting Cleary as Coaching Director. I bet Cleary comes in with the view of making Hornby/Young better coaches so they can take over in the future.
Someone told me Ivan Cleary is definitely going to be involved but couldn't tell me in what role.

Someone told me Ivan Cleary is definitely going to be involved but couldn't tell me in what role.

A very senior NRL player .. Not from the Dragons .. Said to me something similar last week ... Along lines of 'Cleary is a done deal'.. But said he heard super coach would stay on..

This hierarchical coaching model won't work here.. It relies on the foundations being solid and participants being capable..

Nothing more certain than this one crumbling. Which I guess in the end achieves the result.. Albeit a long way around to get what should be an easy call...

Earlier in year, there was talk of Warriors coach removal being the trigger for a coaching roundabout..

The Warriors had settled down on the back of some wins.. About the time we played them into form.. Now the ructions have returned.

If we have genuine interest in Cleary lets hope it is a 'done deal' before the Warriors start sniffing around again.