What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

getsmarty

Immortal
D-Day for Paul McGregor comes this Sunday

Andrew

Roar Rookie
18 hours ago

D-Day is fast approaching for coach Paul McGregor – it’s this Sunday night, at Netstrada Jubilee Stadium, when his Dragons take on the depleted Manly Sea Eagles.

For the Dragons, coming off two consecutive losses, surely a third loss would not only end any hope of finals footy but also turn the screws even tighter on McGregor.

Manly are without their best player, Tom Trbojevic, and a host of other regular first-graders including the suspended Addin Fonua-Blake. The Sea Eagles will also be desperate, coming off two consecutive losses themselves, seeing them drop out of the eight.

Assuming St George Illawarra turn up to play, it should be a cracker. The Red V have a good record against Manly, with 19 wins from 29 matches, and returning home to Kogarah is a huge advantage.

McGregor has further tinkered with his side, naming Ben Hunt to start at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock. This now dispenses any auspices about the club’s opinion of Hunt.

Hunt’s acquisition is a failure and he is now seen exclusively as a dummy half. With a further three years to run on his mega-deal, the long-term impact of this remains unknown. It seems unlikely that the Dragons will stick with $1.2 million a season player at hooker for the next 3.5 seasons? But, for the time being, these concerns have been pushed aside.

Ben-Hunt-Zac-Lomax-Dragons-755x515.jpg

(Matt King/Getty Images)

Should the Dragons go down in a match when so many factors are in their favour, it must surely call an end to the McGregor coaching era. Even if ‘Mary’ sees out the 2020 season, it’ll be this game that proves to be the turning point, when everything was on the line and he came up short.

On the other hand, should St George Illawarra win – and with winnable matches against Canterbury and Cronulla to follow – McGregor’s stock might just go up.

Absolutely everything is on the line!

McGregor’s D-Day isn’t the 6th of June in France. It’s the 12th of July at Kogarah.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/08/d-day-for-paul-mcgregor-comes-this-sunday/

thebigredv

First Grade
Funny article as this thread started when I was fuming when we lost to the sea eagles in 2016 who were on a 7 match losing streak at the time. They belted us 36-6. Titans, bulldogs and tigers then went on to belt us in the following weeks.

Always prepares mentally weak teams.

D-Day for Paul McGregor comes this Sunday

Andrew

Roar Rookie
18 hours ago

D-Day is fast approaching for coach Paul McGregor – it’s this Sunday night, at Netstrada Jubilee Stadium, when his Dragons take on the depleted Manly Sea Eagles.

For the Dragons, coming off two consecutive losses, surely a third loss would not only end any hope of finals footy but also turn the screws even tighter on McGregor.

Manly are without their best player, Tom Trbojevic, and a host of other regular first-graders including the suspended Addin Fonua-Blake. The Sea Eagles will also be desperate, coming off two consecutive losses themselves, seeing them drop out of the eight.

Assuming St George Illawarra turn up to play, it should be a cracker. The Red V have a good record against Manly, with 19 wins from 29 matches, and returning home to Kogarah is a huge advantage.

McGregor has further tinkered with his side, naming Ben Hunt to start at hooker and Cameron McInnes at lock. This now dispenses any auspices about the club’s opinion of Hunt.

Hunt’s acquisition is a failure and he is now seen exclusively as a dummy half. With a further three years to run on his mega-deal, the long-term impact of this remains unknown. It seems unlikely that the Dragons will stick with $1.2 million a season player at hooker for the next 3.5 seasons? But, for the time being, these concerns have been pushed aside.

Ben-Hunt-Zac-Lomax-Dragons-755x515.jpg

(Matt King/Getty Images)

Should the Dragons go down in a match when so many factors are in their favour, it must surely call an end to the McGregor coaching era. Even if ‘Mary’ sees out the 2020 season, it’ll be this game that proves to be the turning point, when everything was on the line and he came up short.

On the other hand, should St George Illawarra win – and with winnable matches against Canterbury and Cronulla to follow – McGregor’s stock might just go up.

Absolutely everything is on the line!

McGregor’s D-Day isn’t the 6th of June in France. It’s the 12th of July at Kogarah.

https://www.theroar.com.au/2020/07/08/d-day-for-paul-mcgregor-comes-this-sunday/

The roar are losing it.

* McVirus is impregnable to any “d day” because he has the board on his side and they have nukes. Deep down, they expect golden boy to lose by a good margin. Business as usual. They will serve up ice creams and beach balls to the invading allies on the beach.

* The red v are the un-joint ventured St George dragons. Sgi is a better description. I’ve learnt not to confuse the two for fear of bad injury or worse!

* Tinkering? Hello? Mary doesn’t select the side anymore. He was relieved of that duty because he was found to be totally incompetent. He only tinkers with his watch. It’s still broken after 7 years. It started with a flat battery now it’s completely stuffed with numerous missing pieces.

* Hunt was a gun before maryfication. Having said that, somebody forgot to put kpis in his contract and he’s been having a right lend. Got rested last year because Mary felt sorry for him. Can’t be trusted right now. Usually afraid of being tackled. Can’t catch. Needs a spell in Reggie’s. Loan him to wenty.

* Playing against a Manly side under Des is rarely favourable. They will fight to win or die trying. Even their ball boys and cheerleader want a stink. Win or lose, the real hope is that Des walks into the wrong change room after the match and stays. He will certainly feel more welcome than McMelborneHousoinlockdown. Des can coach.

* Failure in this game is virtually a given as is Mary until 2022. The board have promised that outcome. The devil himself couldn’t remove Mary from pretending to be a coach or caretaking for himself. It’s why thousands of people have left the building and associate the board with a banana republic junta who wouldn’t recognise the jersey if they were wearing it. They couldn’t get a proverbial in a proverbial.

*McEgo doesn’t have any stock to go up with. The whole of the nrl thinks he’s a clown with no jokes left. He’s bled the club dry, no pay cut because he’s greedy. Doesn’t take responsibility for anything. Would-be corporate flog with his Management and meditation cronies who goes on junkets when the club is bleeding to death. The players are in a stampede to get out of the place.His excuses are folklore. No stock, no one wants to invest in Mary except the board.

* Nothing’s on the line for Mary. The seagulls eating chips on the beach are more intimidating that the entire ground force of the Western allies, navy and Air Force.

Come on roar-people, get some League Unlimited down your throats. Tell it like it is!

Last edited:
Disastrous 2019, two from eight for this year, and it seems all the pressure is off the bald imposter.

How, HOW?!

Straight Shooter

I think With the Broncos being a basket case at present that has eased some of the focus on Mary however another loss or two and I think the pressure builds again.
End of the day we have had a pretty good draw this year and with a half decent Coach should be in the 8 somewhere.
Agree with another previous comment that we always struggle against lesser teams or Games like this week that we should win. Mental toughness and attitude has been poor with Mary Coached sides each year.

BLM01

First Grade
Disastrous 2019, two from eight for this year, and it seems all the pressure is off the bald imposter.

How, HOW?!

Straight Shooter
Because we are improving in small increments..just ask McWinLittle...
The small increments he refers to are the voices from coaches from outside his bubbled head
(i.e. Flanagan & Shepherd who are clearly coaching the backs)
I reckon Young and Mary are still on forwards and that shows.
Mary has also been allocated media work, to piece back together his game plans that Flanno shredded to save paper, whiteboard drawings and use of the whistle at training.

Dragonslayer

First Grade
I will repeat it again, our current ladder position;

A team with no coach, home gound, injuires and borrowed players sit above us on the ladder.

The Broncos, where most of the focus has shifted to, and the perenial losers the Titans, sit on equal points with us on the ladder.

If we lose this weekend, and the Broncos (play the Dogs) and Titans (play the Warriors) win we will drop to 15th.
If the Dogs beat the Broncos we would join the quartet of the hopeless, all on the same points (4).

Let that sink in to the media.

Warabrook saint

Juniors
We are no longer rated as a top 8 team so unless we get thrashed every week there will be no pressure from the media.
As we all know Mary has plenty of mates in the media...
Like we saw in a presser recently as he was about to sit down, blocker Roach yelled out 'see you mary '....mary replied 'see you blocker '.....old mates support after the bulldogs flogging

Gareth67

First Grade

How, HOW?!

Straight Shooter

At this point in his 7 year stay I would say that the only reason he is still here is the fact that the board will not even consider sacking him due to the payout that the J.V. ( or its backers ? ) would need to deposit in the maestros bank account .

Sad , but I believe it is pretty close to the mark .

Gareth67

First Grade
Mental toughness and attitude has been poor with Mary Coached sides each year.

That is it in a nutshell Eatons Hill Dragon , the man simply cannot instill that must have quality into his players - regardless of whom they are .

Hunt has become a $6 mill. flop , Tyson Fizell and Tarique Simms from some of the tougher NRL forwards to players whom merely goes through the motions now .

We all realize this , but for reasons unbeknown to the supporters , it would seem that the board , coach ( ? ) and his media mates cannot .

I sincerely hope that it is not we who are blind or perhaps we are expecting too much from the mighty Big Red V ?

Last edited:
I have no doubts that Manly will play like they have a full, fit and willing squad because Des almost always brings them up two or three notches.

He’s a hard man but he’s also very sharp upstairs. He probably had his game plan worked out by 6am Monday.

But he doesn’t have a small team of pr writers looking for the next excuse.

My favourite this year was the Origin one and how the lack of the series was going to deliver a top 4 place or whatever.

Ask Ben about that one ( at least he foresaw his demise as an elite).

In my wildest dreams I couldn’t imagine Des spinning such bullshit for mass consumption. He knows such garbage doesn’t wash and just upsets people.

Ask Suli what Manly players think about Des and what he’s building at the stale urinal of stadiums they call Brookvale.

I think Manly are going to rip in and you will need to be bang smack on your game to beat them. I hope so, but sheesh, it’s a big ask under McPaymeout.

Dragsters

First Grade

Dragsters

First Grade
I'd go as far as saying , I'd take Seibold or Pay over this bloke ....

Over McGregor, probably anyone, but Pay would be a massive gamble that the club just can't afford to take, after near on the last decade of mediocrity at best.

As for Seibold, I reckon following a team coached by him would sheer torture.

No thank you...

Last edited:

hazzbeen

Bench
Over McGregor, probably anyone, but Pay would be a massive gamble that the club just can't afford to take, after near on the last decade of mediocrity at best.

As for Seibold, I reckon following a team coached by him would sheer torture.

No thank you...
Torture mate its been happening for 6 years , I would take either over this bloke ..... Seibold would for sure clean the joint out .....

Dragsters

First Grade
Torture mate its been happening for 6 years , I would take either over this bloke ..... Seibold would for sure clean the joint out .....

I want the imposter gone as much as you do mate but Seibold would be like jumping from the frying pan into the fire imo.