What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack mcgregor

http://m.nrl.com/new-attacking-philosophy-for-rigid-dragons/tabid/10874/newsid/103402/default.aspx

McGregor bluntly accepts the "rigid" style adopted by the club last year didn't work and didn't suit all his players, and said the club would move away from that style in 2017.

There is a big difference between "rigid" and paralyzed.

"I'll be totally honest with you, we were very rigid in the way we played and we're going to go away from that and simplicity is the big thing in the way we're playing."

So does that now mean we are going for "loose and simple".. at least that aligns with the peanuts qualities.

"The vision that we've all come up with, the shared vision with the players, the philosophy is about playing with the freedom of playing what's in front and last year our style didn't suit some of our players and certainly our approach this year is totally different to that," McGregor said.

The vision .. the shared vision... the philosophy... please.

Vision - "The ability to plan or think about the future with imagination or wisdom"

So the whole clubs great shared vision is ... don't do what we did last year.

"Our attacking structure which has obviously been much maligned is definitely something for us to buy into and simplify in our minds so that we can be held accountable if we go outside that,"

So to be clear, the play book has now been simplified from last year... so that everyone can buy in and be held accountable.

Given that every team in the competition had little trouble reading our plays last year.. and our plays were far from complex... I can't wait for the simplified version.

So now he has a vision, accountability and a plan.. what about reality and leadership.. maybe next time I guess.

getsmarty

Immortal
Dragons coach McGregor’s blunt warning

Tim Barrow@@TheBarrow

3 Feb 2017, 3:16 p.m.
r0_0_3979_2665_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

CAUGHT: Joel Thompson (left). Picture: Mark Kolbe/Getty Images

COACH Paul McGregor has delivered a stern preseason warning, declaring every position vacant when the NRL starts next month.

Trying to find attacking solutions after limping to 12th last year, McGregor is prepared to deliver a stunning selection overhaul when they take on Penrith at Kogarah. The message came before the St George Illawarra squad left for the Auckland Nines, starting on Saturday with games against Parramatta and Manly.

“As Mary has said to all of us, no position is safe in this place,” forward Joel Thompson said at training at WIN Stadium this week.

“Not mine, not (captain) Gareth’s (Widdop), not anyones.

r652_367_2195_2324_w1200_h678_fmax.jpg

Paul McGregor

“He’ll pick the best side for round one, so if (players) stand up in trials and have been going well in preseason.

“It’s up to us and it’s up to the coach.”

After their lack of scoring potency with captain Widdop and Benji Marshall in the halves this year, McGregor is now considering his halfback options.

Kurt Mann and young Jai Field will have the first chance to impress at the Nines, with Matt Dufty offered a shot to show he is up to handling the fullback spot.

With Shaun Nona and Josh McCrone in the mix, Field, the fastest player over 40 metres at the club, has emerged as the front-runner as a likely partner to Widdop.

If Dufty can play a starring role this weekend, as well as during game time in next week’s trial against the Tigers in Wollongong and the Charity Shield against Souths, McGregor may yet shift Josh Dugan to the centres.

Thompson said the intensity of the Dragons’ preseason training will pay off.

“The new strength and conditioning guys have added a lot more running and more intensity,” he said.

The Dragons are rated $101 outsiders to win this year’s NRL competition

http://www.illawarramercury.com.au/story/4445784/dragons-coach-mcgregors-blunt-warning/?cs=3713

ALSGI

Bench
This is exactly what I've been wanting to hear, let's hope he's serious.

Does this mean eveyone including Widdop has to perform in trials? Don't think so.

Coffs dragon

Bench
I cringe when he opens his mouth....as it's generally full of shit to deflect his responsibilities. All his talk to the media would be instigated and pushed from above to appease fans & generate $$ thru bums on seats. Boring attack with his bullshit "D" talk will only bring on his demise very quickly.

Old Timer

Coach
CD
Like your post only issue I have is with this part

"Boring attack with his bullshit "D" talk will only bring on his demise very quickly."

I would have though he is fully diminished already and very quickly means today.

Dragon66

Juniors
What McGregor is saying is that if the younger players aren't playing like superstars during the preseason then he will be picking the same old same old, and expecting a different result.

McGregor can talk the talk and I'm sure he nderstands the game well enough- but his problem is failure to be a good player manager and get the best out them - ala Bennett, Bellamy, Arthur etc. Compared to the best coaches, out of 10 he is a 1, and nothing is going to change.
All I, and most critics, see is a repeat of last season, except he seems to be saying this year we will have no structure at all.

Bring on a new coach, and Hunt now!!!!!!!!!!

Coffs dragon

Bench
CD
Like your post only issue I have is with this part

"Boring attack with his bullshit "D" talk will only bring on his demise very quickly."

I would have though he is fully diminished already and very quickly means today.
OT you are so right and this would have happened in any other normal sporting organisation. However things are very different in Doustworld & Lockwoodland whom protect the endangered boys club.

St Georgio

Juniors
Brace yourselves for impact the Auckland nines is the start to what will become a horrendous year, hopefully the tap will come sooner than later!
Definite wooden spoon contenders!

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
Look I know the nines is a sideshow carnival but still even I can't ignore the below....4 years in a row....this is embarrassing and another sign....the Board need to stand up and just sack mcgregor and show some bloody leadership.

Dragons:
The Red V have missed out on the finals for the fourth year in a row after suffering a pair of defeats on Saturday. The Dragons leaked 55 points against the Eels and Sea Eagles and will need to beat the hosts in their final pool game if they want to avoid finishing last for the third time in three years.

Sheridan Stand

Juniors
McGregor says every position is vacant.... Except the one that counts... His own.

What a dumb and embarrassing media announcement.

What other club puts out such garbage.

It is like the teacher wiith a classroom that has got out of control and she just starts yelling "you will all be going to the principal if you don't behave" and because we all don't respect her leadership we just keep out of control until the bell goes and we laugh and head home.

Someone ring the bloody bell and get us out of this mad house by sacking the coach.