What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

SACK SHAYNE HAYNE! CONTROVERSY ABOUND!

Bomber

Bench
I realise a lot has been said already, but here's the viewpoint of a ref.

Refereeing is a tough business. As a lot of people know, we have the power to alter the course of history, as it were. Not having the pleasure of refereeing in the NRL, I would nevertheless consider junior league refereeing much tougher because, although there isn't the pressure involved, you aren't just refereeing a game involving 26 players, but also their parents and family, all of whom think their little Timmy is being hard done by on the field by one prick - you.

I absolutely love to referee at the 'roots' level, and will do so until the tuckshop ladies abolish the free Coke after a game. :D But seriously, if you can't walk the tight-rope of consistency and balance, you're stuffed from the start.

At the junior club where I usually ref, there's a little sign on the door:

1. Be consistent
2. Get it right

Perhaps the most controversal decision I had to make was to send two local players to the sin-bin......after their team had scored a try! But if players want to go around calling their opponents and touch-judges 'effing cees', they're gone in my view.

You have to take a stand at the start and be consistent. Even if you're consistenly letting the teams creep up on the ten metres, or turning a blind eye to the 'effs' and 'cees', you *should* have no problems.

Shayne Hayne's problem was that he made a stand (by sending Peachey et.al), then backed down (by letting Williams stay on, and letting the ten generate into a farce). I don't think we will have seen the last of him, god knows Billy boy can't ref forever, but he needs to be consistenly consistent......

Anyway, that's the confused ramblings of a pie-eating barefoot ref.

Disco

Bench
Firstly there is no Audio evidence of Peachey calling Hayne a cheat, but if he did so he deserved 10 in the bin, people really are ignorant if they think players dont swear at refs all the time
Secondly i can't blame peachey for anything he did, Peachey as the captain was trying to seek clarification on something his team was continually getting penalised for, Hayne simply wouldn't talk to the players and it would annoy the hell out of me aswell it was a joke

Now my major pickle with hayne is the two high tackles and the last 20, for mine if Newton deserved being sent then williams certianly did, it was a cheap shot but because the sharks were getting flogged and because he'd already sent off a few he decided to let it go, GIVE ME A BREAK, and the last 20 when he let cronulla do what they want, because they were getting hammered is totally outragous

HAYNE HAS TO GO!!!!

Disco

Bench
Firstly there is no Audio evidence of Peachey calling Hayne a cheat, but if he did so he deserved 10 in the bin, people really are ignorant if they think players dont swear at refs all the time
Secondly i can't blame peachey for anything he did, Peachey as the captain was trying to seek clarification on something his team was continually getting penalised for, Hayne simply wouldn't talk to the players and it would annoy the hell out of me aswell it was a joke

Now my major pickle with hayne is the two high tackles and the last 20, for mine if Newton deserved being sent then williams certianly did, it was a cheap shot but because the sharks were getting flogged and because he'd already sent off a few he decided to let it go, GIVE ME A BREAK, and the last 20 when he let cronulla do what they want, because they were getting hammered is totally outragous

HAYNE HAS TO GO!!!!

innsaneink

Referee
Disco said:
Firstly there is no Audio evidence of Peachey calling Hayne a cheat,
It was heard on radio and anyone watching on TV that has half a brain could lip read
what he said as he left the field!

I think the send offs are irrelevant...the fact that he decided to only referee one team ,to continually allow the sharks to stand offside,to throw
the rule book aside and to try to redeem himself somehow for
the mess HE created earlier, shows just what a weak human being this man is.
Refs turn a blinfd eye in the u6's and 7's....for him to do that in 1st
grade with TV cameras on him shows he's not very bright as well!!

innsaneink

Referee
Bomber said:
I realise a lot has been said already, but here's the viewpoint of a ref.

Refereeing is a tough business. As a lot of people know, we have the power to alter the course of history, as it were. Not having the pleasure of refereeing in the NRL, I would nevertheless consider junior league refereeing much tougher because, although there isn't the pressure involved, you aren't just refereeing a game involving 26 players, but also their parents and family, all of whom think their little Timmy is being hard done by on the field by one prick - you.

I absolutely love to referee at the 'roots' level, and will do so until the tuckshop ladies abolish the free Coke after a game. :D But seriously, if you can't walk the tight-rope of consistency and balance, you're stuffed from the start.

At the junior club where I usually ref, there's a little sign on the door:

1. Be consistent
2. Get it right

Perhaps the most controversal decision I had to make was to send two local players to the sin-bin......after their team had scored a try! But if players want to go around calling their opponents and touch-judges 'effing cees', they're gone in my view.

You have to take a stand at the start and be consistent. Even if you're consistenly letting the teams creep up on the ten metres, or turning a blind eye to the 'effs' and 'cees', you *should* have no problems.

Shayne Hayne's problem was that he made a stand (by sending Peachey et.al), then backed down (by letting Williams stay on, and letting the ten generate into a farce). I don't think we will have seen the last of him, god knows Billy boy can't ref forever, but he needs to be consistenly consistent......

Anyway, that's the confused ramblings of a pie-eating barefoot ref.

I think your spot on there bomber...only puttin him on report
was a "ball-less" decision...and the "game?" degenarated into
a joke from there!

Alan Shore

First Grade
Willow said:
Should the Sharks be fined?
If the League is to be consistent, Ando and the Sharks should be fine for bringing game into disrepute.

Today, Ando has been quoted as saying the game was "a farce."

That should be enough to earn $10K but there's more...

Sharks' centre Phil Bailey describe Hayne as "losing control of the whole game".

"He (Hayne) wouldn't have a bar of anyone, wouldn't speak to anyone," said Bailey.

"In 30 years I haven't seen anything like it," said Anderson.

"I sent him (Peachey) out to register a complaint about the refereeing in the first half ... the diving in the tackles ...and the ref took exception to that. "

Do these guys need to be reminded of the scoreline??? 74-4

Not only did they drop their bundle during the match but they refuse to accept that they were beaten all over the park on the night.

Hayne was far from perfect but there is no way he should become the fall guy for the Sharks and their pathetic season on the field.

You're kidding if those comments deserve a fine............

Again you show your ignorance. There was no way possible we would have lost by seventy points if Hayne wasn't such a useless, incompetend nutcase. The scoreline at worst would have been something like 38-20.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Tamazoid said:
Willow said:
If the League is to be consistent, Ando and the Sharks should be fine for bringing game into disrepute.

Sharks' centre Phil Bailey describe Hayne as "losing control of the whole game".

"He (Hayne) wouldn't have a bar of anyone, wouldn't speak to anyone," said Bailey.

"I sent him (Peachey) out to register a complaint about the refereeing in the first half ... the diving in the tackles ...and the ref took exception to that. "

Not only did they drop their bundle during the match but they refuse to accept that they were beaten all over the park on the night.

Hayne was far from perfect but there is no way he should become the fall guy for the Sharks and their pathetic season on the field.

Again you show your ignorance. There was no way possible we would have lost by seventy points if Hayne wasn't such a useless, incompetend nutcase. The scoreline at worst would have been something like 38-20.

Why?

It was 24-4 at half time and the penalty count was just in Parra's favour at 6-4.

Anonymous

Juniors
Tamazoid said:
Willow said:

Again? I don't recall the first time you pointed this out to me.

It amazes me is how stupid some of the Sharks supporters are. They actually believe this crap that the ref cost them the match... they're also living with the fantasy that Peachey was sent off for only waving arms.

Some dickheads are even trying to make out that Peachey said nothing wrong and then there's classic piece of logic doing the rounds which says that Hayne broke the rules when sending off Peachey... that one really cracked me up.

Good to see youre taking it all so gracefully.

38-20? RATFLMFAO. Try facing up to reality :lol: Let me give you a heads up... it was 74-4.
But then again I may have that wrong being ignorant and all. :roll:

eloquentEEL

First Grade
Willow said:
38-20? RATFLMFAO. Try facing up to reality :lol: Let me give you a heads up... it was 74-4.
But then again I may have that wrong being ignorant and all. :roll:

Nup. It was definitely 74-4. See below. Thankfully Parra are developing a killer instinct. I've seen teams get a rawer deal from a ref and come away with a lot less than 70 on the board against them.

ali

Bench
Gotta make this quick. The only person claiming that Peachey called Hayne a cheat is Mark Geyer on the radio and the y replaid the audio the next day, 1 sware word and all, and you couldn't make out the last bit Peach said from the ABC's tapes. You can't make out what he said that from the TV either. Up until the time he was binned, Peachey was being quite polite towards the ref. He even tried to walk away from a confrontation at one stage and was called back.

Unless Hayne comes out and says Peachey was sent off for calling him a cheat, I will not back the suspension or send off. Peach has lost no dignity in any way. The fight was started by a cheap chot from the perenial cheap shot merchant and former dragon Darren Treacy. Newton's send off also baffled me. He may have connected, with the neck, but the parra guy kept going and infact made a half break. Williams should have been marched.

pepe

Juniors
shane hayne was'nt in paris overnight was here,only he could make a shamozzle like we saw in the mens 100m overnight.

by the way, peachey was rightly marched for ignoring the refs attempts to speak to him,the ref had no aletrnative really.

pepe

Anonymous

Juniors
ali said:
Gotta make this quick. The only person claiming that Peachey called Hayne a cheat is Mark Geyer on the radio and the y replaid the audio the next day, 1 sware word and all, and you couldn't make out the last bit Peach said from the ABC's tapes. You can't make out what he said that from the TV either. Up until the time he was binned, Peachey was being quite polite towards the ref. He even tried to walk away from a confrontation at one stage and was called back.

Unless Hayne comes out and says Peachey was sent off for calling him a cheat, I will not back the suspension or send off. Peach has lost no dignity in any way. The fight was started by a cheap chot from the perenial cheap shot merchant and former dragon Darren Treacy. Newton's send off also baffled me. He may have connected, with the neck, but the parra guy kept going and infact made a half break. Williams should have been marched.

LOL.. funny how Treacy is a former Dragon all of a sudden. :lol: It's like how Richard Harris is a successful British actor until he becomes a drunken Irishman. In any case, you're talking about a different incident. Treacy didn't ask Peachey to go and start questioning the ref's decisions.

Frankly, I expected Peachey to make some sort of apology by now. Not to Hayne... but for his actions which left his team a player short. It was almost as if he didnt want to be out there and was happy to be out of the game.

btw, I personally never accused Peachey of calling Hayne a f*ckin cheat. But its irrelevant because he definitely did say something that was less than complimentary.

The problem was that Peachey allowed his frustrations to get the better of him and refused to follow an instruction from a referee... that's unacceptable and something that has to be stamped out. It's a bad example to set to the younger grades. The game may have been a shambles but we wouldnt have a game at all if players don't adhere to referee rulings and instructions.

Parraren

Bench
Seriously though, Sharks fans (and Chris Anderson) should be thanking Hayne for taking all the attention away from what was one of the most inept performances i've seen all year from a first grade side, absolutely woeful.....and that includes my teams performance the weekend prior against the storm!

Moffo

Referee
How can you say that i have no idea Tama? The guy was being a tool, i would've kept sending the f**khead off. Get your hand off it. You can't point your fingers and wave your hands at the ref like that, not to mention using the f word on national TV. Isn't he an ambassador for the NRL in their commercial?

Great work that, great for the game

Hayne was in an impossible situation. The only thing that got him demoted was media pressure. I think he did an ok job

Cheers,
Moffo

skeepe

Immortal
I think Andrew Voss says perfectly what I think about the whole situation

Andrew Voss said:
I feel it necessary to put Hayne's performance in context. I don't think it was any worse than that of the Sharks.

Once the anger at the referee subsides Cronulla should feel downright embarrassed at the way they handled things on Saturday night. It certainly wasn't the referee's fault that rookies Dale Newton and Rhys Williams went 'head hunting'. Where were the more experienced players when these young blokes needed a little cooling down?

It is my opinion that the Sharks treated the referee in the second half with total contempt. They treated the Eels with contempt and probably worst of all they treated their own fans with contempt. To attempt a field goal with the side 50 points down is up there with the most unprofessional acts I've seen performed in a first grade match by so called professional footballers.

Sharks fans who attended the game should write to the club requesting their money be refunded. I've heard the word "culture" used many times in what the Sharks are trying to achieve rebuilding at the moment. Let me say, I have absolutely no idea what sort of culture Saturday night's performance is an example of.

This guy is a hell of a lot smarter than most people give him credit for. He goes on to give one mighty serve to Jim Hall as well, something else I can't help but agree on. Andrew Voss I take my hat off to you!

Anonymous

Juniors
What I don't understand is why Sharks fans are complaining. The general consensus seems to be that Hayne lost the plot late in the game and let the SHARKS get away with anything. Can you blame him?? Would you have rather have lost by 100!?!?

On Peachey, watch the video, he initially got sinbinned for saying the F word to the referee. You could hear it clearly on the TV. When he realised he was being sinbinned, he gave Hayne another verbal, therefore he had to be sent-off. No question.

The Newton sending-off was certainly warranted, it was on a player standing bolt upright returning a kick-off, Newton basically had a flying 35 metre start to run at him and take a swing. Williams also should have been sent-off. Nutley deserved his sin-binning, if that wasn't repeat offending I don't know what is. Phil Bailey carried on like a spastic throughout the entire game (possibly because he is a spastic?) and should have been sent-off as well.

The only thing Hayne did badly wrong (by the book, at least) was to let Cronulla get away with too much towards the end, but who can blame him? He was only trying to keep a bit of sanity in the game, something the Sharks certainly weren't interested in.

Anonymous

Juniors
Andrew Voss is spot on:

"It is my opinion that the Sharks treated the referee in the second half with total contempt. They treated the Eels with contempt and probably worst of all they treated their own fans with contempt. To attempt a field goal with the side 50 points down is up there with the most unprofessional acts I've seen performed in a first grade match by so called professional footballers.

Sharks fans who attended the game should write to the club requesting their money be refunded. "

Woods

Juniors
El Duque said:
Phil Bailey must be stupid or deaf. Watching him on the Sunday Footy Show saying Hayne sent Peachy off for waving his arms is far from the truth. He called Hayne a f**king cheat and was rightfully sent.

According to two seperate reports i read in the paper, Phil Bailey asked Shane Hayne why he sent off Peachey and he said words to the effect of 'he was waving his hands around at me'. I'd also point out that after checking the sports ears, the Tele reported that nothing could be heard of peachey calling the ref a 'cheat' and surely if thats what he said it'd be quite easy for Hayne to give that as his reason when asked.

Hayne was voted that worst ref i the RLW players poll and I'd say it'd be due to the way he refuses to talk to the players or explain any of his rulings to them. Watch the incident with peachey back again. Hayne 'waves his hands around' when he is talking to Peachey too. To then get mad at Peachey doing the same thing is so f**king ridiculous.

Woods

Juniors
Thierry Henry said:
PEACHEY SWORE AT HIM.

He said f**k.

You could hear it clearly on the TV.

I realise that. He said 'thats a f**king dominant tackle'. That justifies the sinbinning i guess. However Phil Bailey, when he asked Hayne, was told that the 'hand waving' was the reason. Its been reported as coming through in an exchange between Hayne and Bailey on 'Sports Ears'. If it was due to swearing or Peachey then calling him a 'cheat' why didn't he just say that?