What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sack sheens

Should we sack sheens!?

• Yes

Votes: 52 63.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 25.6%
  • I dont care

Votes: 9 11.0%

• Total voters

Martinplace

Juniors
When you win 6 games in a row with a 6 and 7 combination that has turned your season around, why suddenly break that combination when your fullback gets injured?

As much as I respect him as a coach and for all his achievements this is one move I can not comprehend or forgive.

Bringing Robert Lui up at such a vital stage of the season has wrecked our season, not the kid's fault, but I am sure we could have found a fullback in our lower grades.

BUT>>>>>>> in saying that how many sides have lost their back three in game of rugby league?

Pretty tough.

Hanbury
Pritchard
Lawrence
Collis
Ayshford

Benj
Moltz

That would backline would have served us far better against the Titans.

Oh well another year of frustration.

Bubbles

Totally agree, yes we did lose the back three, but that is what depth is all about, but you would think it is sensible to not change a successful partnership (our 6 & 7) to fill a lesser position. FB is important, but really, he may cost you, but will rarley win you games on his own, I would think most 1st graders should be able to tackle?

i voted to sack him because he picked Collis & Morris to start the game??????? wtf, what purpose did it serve? some of next years depth missed a golden opportunity, he really is showing that he does not seem to look forward very well?

sando88

Not a Moderator
sheens made right choices morriss played lot better then anythin lui done in 1st grade

Do people actually believe Benji's game has changed since he started wearing 6?

We split our halves and have done so for more than just this season. The only thing that has changed with Benji moving from 7 to 6 is how many times he feeds the scrum a game.

The real change that occurred with him moving was bringing in a bloke that could actually play fullback well and someone who had some sort of ability to throw the ball wide. And the fact that we were able to put a very strong defensive side on the park for pretty much the whole duration of our streak.

The change that happens is we have Marshall+Halfback rather than Marshall+5/8 in the halves. Marshall will play the same no matter what position we name him at, and the game he will play is that of a 5/8. With Marshall at halfback we basically have 2 5/8s in the side, but with him at 5/8 we have proper halves. I also see Lui as a 5/8, Moltzen is the only real halfback at the club.

westie

Bench
sheens made right choices morriss played lot better then anythin lui done in 1st grade

Sadly, despite being a very ordinary piss-taker for the most part, you're far more correct that any of the u20 child lovers on here.

DanOz

Juniors

Yes Morris played better than Lui, the question remains why Moltzen and Marshall were not selected in the halves with Hanbury at fullback etc with an eye for next year.

N.C.

Juniors
The change that happens is we have Marshall+Halfback rather than Marshall+5/8 in the halves. Marshall will play the same no matter what position we name him at, and the game he will play is that of a 5/8. With Marshall at halfback we basically have 2 5/8s in the side, but with him at 5/8 we have proper halves. I also see Lui as a 5/8, Moltzen is the only real halfback at the club.

Exactly, but with a crucial difference in that as a halfback he becomes more involved in the tactics of the game, having to create chances rather than simply taking the opportunities that are on offer. Marshall has never played a half-backs game and it would not be sensible to try and mould him into one again. Hopefully our coach is now past the idea that "the more he can get his hands on the ball the better our attack will be"...

On another note, I thought some of Sheens' comments the "rocks and diamonds" article were interesting. In particular, the one about having to replace his fullback with his halfback is a little more cautious than we're accustomed to - usually he doesn't attempt to justify himself or make any obvious acknowledgements of the sort of criticism that turns up on this and other websites. It seems to clarify that he sees Moltzen as his halfback. Perhaps he's feeling a bit of pressure?

And he should be feeling pressure.

Ink has a Sheens quote in his signature that Sheens said about Morris and for me, it proves that the bloke isn't who we need to go forward.

"He has been criticised by some of our ‘so called fans’. John Morris has been a great utility for us and filled in at every position bar front-row." - Tim Sheens 5/9/09

If h'es a utility Tim, why the f**k was he our halfback for the best part of two years?

N.C.

Juniors
And while we're at it, who are these "so called fans" who keep turning up and daring to ask questions?

simon says

First Grade
Bwahahahhahahaaaaaa.......I love that ur outraged.
Hilarious........oh and Im a member,as are all of my tiger mates who think Im pathetic for trying to reason with you Sheens hating mafia.

But hey,lets get Leo Epilady to coach,or maybe Georgalis,or bring Lamb back,they would go better than Sheens you dead set loon!!!!!

westie

Bench
Simon, I reckon in 6 years, you'd have had more success than Sheens. There's not many better options, but surely its not that hard to hit the finals more than once in every 6.

Brown would have us performing consistently. Gentle, I think, knows how to win football matches. Big clubs have good coaches. Bulldogs developed from within a winning culture - Saints just went and signed the best.

Flapper

First Grade
No we shouldn't sack him.He's the only coach in my entire life to bring me a premiership, and although we have some good players, we have players that needed a bit of reining in my Sheens or their attacking senses would've gone out the window.

But of course the OMG SHEENS OMG bashers don't see sense, we have a good attacking team, but not a naturally defensive team? Is that Sheens/Simmons fault? Can Benji suddenly turn into a hard hitter under a different coach? Of course not. Our recruitment may be a bit dodgy, but that again isn't Sheens fault, he doesn't backload contracts or overpay 2005 players, that's front office. We had injuries which didn't help. Why did Sheens break up our gun combos once Gallant got injured? Because Gallant WAS part of that gun combo, fixing 1,6 and solved our problems, when 1 got injured, that was it. Not Sheens fault. As for our fantastic Toyota Cup players, yeah we made the finals, but Toyota Cup is a completely different kettle of fish to the NRL.

I love talking footy, but you OMG SHEENS OMG bashers just suck all the fun out of it for me, I'd love to frequent this part of the board a lot more often and talk about my beloved Tigers, but most of you are on planet Neptune in regards to reasoning (and I'm posting this from Glasgow). Sheens is not the be all and end all, the problems we have aren't his. We recruit better, have a more well rounded team with some better fringe defenders and we'll win the comp. We need better recruiters and talent scouts, our coach is good.

hybrid_tiger

Coach
This time next year we'll be saying "I can't wait for next year". It seems that 2005 has bought Sheens as many years of failure as he wants.

Last year we signed Ellis. We improved but still did not make the finals.

What players have we signed for 2010 that will result in a significant improvement?

Mitch Brown and Geoff Daniela? :lol:

DanOz

Juniors
In response to Flapper -

It WAS Sheens fault that Gallant played bugger all games before he got injured. Sheens OPENLY said he thinks Moltzen is a fullback, and took Gallants injury as his opportunity to break up a winning halves combination to return him to a position he doesn't know how to play.

It WAS Sheens that persisted with the Morris / Marshall combination through to half way through this year that saw us miss semi final football, and when he stumbled upon the right combination he saw fit to know better again and alter it once more.

We have the team right now that could have challenged for the comp, but mastercoach would not select the right people (ie Gallant most of the year, losing Gibbs a front rower and replacing him with Halatau for the Titans game, taking injured Skando into the game and having him break down instead of playing someone healthy etc etc) or play them in the right positions.

I hear you that you are frustrated, you like Sheens, perhaps you are related? I am also frustrated, I like the Wests Tigers playing semi final football.

DanOz

Juniors
Bwahahahhahahaaaaaa.......I love that ur outraged.
Hilarious........oh and Im a member,as are all of my tiger mates who think Im pathetic for trying to reason with you Sheens hating mafia.

But hey,lets get Leo Epilady to coach,or maybe Georgalis,or bring Lamb back,they would go better than Sheens you dead set loon!!!!!

Do you believe that there is only one man that can bring success? That there is no one on the planet that can do a better job? That Tim wears his underpants on the OUTSIDE of his trousers? If so, one season of success, then 4 years of failure, does that mean Tim can now sit back, do nothing more and we owe him for 2005 forever more? That we dare not question the said super coach, nor expect him to deliver any further results other than "I've got a good feeling about next year."

You probably supported the sacking of our CEO who dared indicate Sheens should be judged on his performance...

N.C.

Juniors
2005 was just Tim Sheens breaking even, since he already owed us one anyway...

That said, you Sheenshater haters would do well to go back and read over many old postings. No-one in here can be rightly described as a "Sheens hater"...

People have been frustrated with the club for years, but this year things have started to change. We've had a changing of the guard with Noyce moving on. We've had a bit of a power struggle with Longmuir v Sheens mid season. We all know how that played out.

Sheens is the last man standing. There is no-one for him to hide behind anymore.

We missed the finals by a single game...

The changes he made before we went on a six game rampage came about four games too late. But let's not pretend Morris was moved to the bench becuase Sheens didn't rate him as a playmaker anymore... If Morris had not signed with Cronulla he would have kept Moltzen at the back and just swapped the numbers on Morris and Marshall's backs for another couple of weeks.

Two measley points, but Sheens still has the audacity to say we wouldn't have been good enough to contest the finals if we'd have made it because of our injuries... Instead of saying "we blew it" he says "we would have limped in anyway" and pats himself on the back.

This is your supercoach, with a year left to run on his contract. What can he possibly do from here?