What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saint trent ?

bottle

Coach
Sunrise, sunset
Sunrise, sunset
Swiftly fly the years
One season following another
Laden with happiness and tears

bottle

Coach
I can never blame a player for taking more dosh. It's part of the human condition, limited sporting shelf life, etc. etc.
However the process and the way his manager has handled it leaves a lot to be desired.

dragoncountry

Juniors
what annoys me with all this is that Merrin has not come out anywhere to confirm or deny anything is happening. this I find destabilising of the team. get rid of him now, he obviously thinks he's bigger than the club. I don't believe his manager is running this alone without his say so. trying to bluff the dragons. good on them for standing there ground. paints him in a bad light from my perspective.

Acka

Coach
I'm more concerned after hearing from my brother my 11 month old nephew likes Sunrise. Could be worse though he could like the today show

BigH

Juniors
Right on dragon country get rid of him now and never have anything to do with that beavis prick

getsmarty

Immortal
I can never blame a player for taking more dosh. It's part of the human condition, limited sporting shelf life, etc. etc.
However the process and the way his manager has handled it leaves a lot to be desired.

Correct...The Manager has not handled this with any Class.

Cagey Mac

Bench
Next season they will be the last 2 of our 2010 GF team.

Yes but it's six years on and a bunch of those guys were in the latter parts of their careers in any case.
Lots of newbies coming through and I like the line up for 2015
I wouldn't pay Merrin 500k let alone 600k plus
He's one of the best 15-20 forwards in the the NRL IMO and replaceable
Very replaceable
Good luck to him
Hope he works hard in 2015, I suspect he will up until origin but don't expect too much after that.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
So Trent thinks he should be worth more or equal to the halves and the fullback? That will do me.
Would you pay more for a forward than the halves and fullback? Benji is on less than what they offered Mez so I like how they throw that in. Benji is on 500k for the next 2 seasons. This is clearly the Manager spinning some crap to pump his tyres.

Trent Merrin closes the door on St George Illawarra Dragons as manager confirms he will leave club

St George Illawarra have been dealt a huge blow before the start of the season with forward Trent Merrin deciding to depart the club at the end of the year.

Merrin's manager Wayne Beavis confirmed the NSW Origin forward will not be at the Dragons next year and is set to make a decision on his new club when he returns from the World Club Series next week.

"100 per cent, it's over," Beavis told Fairfax Media on Tuesday. "He won't be at the Dragons next year."

The decision caught the Dragons by surprise when contacted by Fairfax Media, unaware Merrin had decided to part ways with the club after this season.

Beavis said the 25-year-old was still weighing up three options for next year and beyond, with all offers now on the table for Merrin to make a decision on where he wants to play.

It is believed the Penrith Panthers are the frontrunners to lure Merrin to the foot of the mountains, while Cronulla and the New Zealand Warriors also believed to be in the hunt.

While Beavis would not speculate on the club's chasing Merrin's signature, he closed the door on any chance of his client remaining at the Dragons beyond his contract expiration at the end of this year.

Merrin is the second Dragons junior to announce he is leaving the club in the past six months after fellow 2010-premiership winner and representative winger Brett Morris was released to join his brother Josh at Canterbury this season.

Merrin, who is in Britain with his Dragons teammates preparing for Saturday morning's World Club Series match against the Warrington Wolves, is yet to inform St George Illawarra officials of his decision to leave.

However it is understood Merrin is frustrated the club has not budged on its original offer made before Christmas, and is ready to make a decision on his new club when he returns home next week.

"It means he's in England now, so when he gets back he will look at his options," Beavis said.

"We're probably down to two, or maybe three clubs. All offers are on the table so we'll know when he gets back what he wants to do."

The Dragons were loath to see the departure of Merrin, who made his debut for the club under Wayne Bennett in 2009, going on to represent NSW on 10 occasions.

The Dragons were comfortable with the offer they made to Merrin, describing it as the most lucrative deal the club has offered a forward.

It is understood Merrin is frustrated the club wasn't in a position to offer him a better deal given the money they threw at enticing Josh Dugan, Gareth Widdop and Benji Marshall to the club.

Merrin was encouraged to test the market to find out his value and has been offered more money from rival clubs than the Dragons could afford given their tight salary cap restraints.

Merrin's departure means Jason Nightingale and Ben Creagh, who are both off contract at the end of this year, will be the last two remaining survivors from the 2010 grand final winning team.

Nightingale is expected to remain at the club, but Creagh's future remains unclear.

hazzbeen

Bench
Bottom line dont care anymore if he wants to go ,then go....... Things need to improve this year under Mary or this will continue to happen ........

since77

Juniors
Bye Trent - thanks for the memories of all those great inspiring plays over the years - oh yeah...wait....there weren't any.
Congats on getting someone to pay you WAYYYYYYYY more than you're worth.

He's nowhere near as good as he clearly thinks he is. Any one of our forwards who reckons they're worth more than $450K a season after the rubbish they've turned out for three years is seriously kidding themselves. Heartbreaking to lose BMoz, still can barely think about it. Losing Merrin? I wouldn't mind keeping him, put it that way. But he'd be appalling value at the price he's asking. If we pulled off a coup and got Manu and Docker in compensation the pack's improved by the deal.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Sika Manu
Rein
Creagh
Docker / De Bellin
Frizzell
Thomson

or

Creagh
Rein
Packer
Plum / De Bellin
Frizzell
Thomson

With Rose as well as Plum, Thomson or Debellin coming off the bench for some minutes.
Pretty damn good forward pack. Would not have too many teams calling them soft that is for sure.

possm

Coach

I'm sorry Bottle but can't agree with this.

The WHOLE BLAME should be directed towards Dragon's management; Doust, the Board and whoever else is involved in the decision making.

Merrin's contract extension should have been dealt with and finalised at the end of the 2014 season. If the terms were not suitable to Merrin, then move on and identify a replacement late last year.

More importantly, Dragon's management have not come to grips with TPA's and the importance of TPA's in the salary mix. I'm sure who ever gets Merrin will have some TPA funds supporting his income.

I wish Doust would resign and the Board take advice on better ways to run the Dragons.

bottle

Coach
I'm sorry Bottle but can't agree with this.

The WHOLE BLAME should be directed towards Dragon's management; Doust, the Board and whoever else is involved in the decision making.

Merrin's contract extension should have been dealt with and finalised at the end of the 2014 season. If the terms were not suitable to Merrin, then move on and identify a replacement late last year.

More importantly, Dragon's management have not come to grips with TPA's and the importance of TPA's in the salary mix. I'm sure who ever gets Merrin will have some TPA funds supporting his income.

I wish Doust would resign and the Board take advice on better ways to run the Dragons.
We'll have to agree to disagree.

Slippery Morris

First Grade
Morris was also quiet with his negotiations and then came out after the deal and kissed the badge and bagged the club. Acted like a kid in a lolli shop. Pretty ordinary to say the least. It is not unusual for Merrin to keep quiet, considering they have the same manager.

I just hope we don't see Merrin doing what BMoz has done and leaves on better terms.