What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Saints sign Gidley

The Devil

Bench
Roy said:
1. thaiday- the only player in the backline you would back to go the lenght of the field

To be quite frank, i wouldn't back him to run the length of the field. What i mean by that is he can find gaps and bust the line with easewith explosive speed over 30-40m, but his speed over a longer distance isn't up there with wingers, centres and fullbacks who will be chasing him down.

I'm not bagging him out, i'm sure he could score a few length of the field tries but he'd get run down easily by guys like Slater, Bowen, Geyer etc.

keeney

First Grade
If that, he's not actually very quick at all, just a good penetrating runner.

RABK

Referee
Oh he's quick over the 40....there wouldn't be any over player except for maybe Bowen that has such a unique blend of explosive acceleration and evasiveness.

Please....you make it sound like any winger in the comp would catch him over 40 metres +.

It's not true at all, trust me - i'm making a whole heap of videos atm and have literally been over every game this year about 20 times each - he's very quick and not a lot of players have got enar him once he's in the clear. Only the fullback who he normally gets around too.

Ben

Bench
He is not as fast as Roberts, Inglis or Slater over the 100 metres. But when running the forty metres, i think he is faster than all three of them. And to be quite frank, he isn't much slower than them over the 100 anyway.

Back on topic, if this is true, i hope the board or Smith have an extensive list on a couple of key players that they could bring into the club. Because losing four starting backs is not the ideal way to start season 2007.

aqua_duck

Coach
Ben said:
He is not as fast as Roberts, Inglis or Slater over the 100 metres. But when running the forty metres, i think he is faster than all three of them. And to be quite frank, he isn't much slower than them over the 100 anyway.
I think you'd be surprised. There's a difference between acceleration and speed.

The Devil

Bench
Red and Blue Knight said:
Oh he's quick over the 40....there wouldn't be any over player except for maybe Bowen that has such a unique blend of explosive acceleration and evasiveness.

Please....you make it sound like any winger in the comp would catch him over 40 metres +.

It's not true at all, trust me - i'm making a whole heap of videos atm and have literally been over every game this year about 20 times each - he's very quick and not a lot of players have got enar him once he's in the clear. Only the fullback who he normally gets around too.

As i said he has explosive speed, but can be caught. He is a fast bloke but not the quickest in comp. The true speedsters will be able to catch him in a footrace i.e Bowen, Slate, Geyer as i've said before

Over 40m he's right up there i agree, as i stated in my previous post, but he slows considerably once he reaches the 60m mark... and i'm judgin that against his speed in the first 40.

jamesgould

Juniors
Absolutely right Devil! Don't you guys remember him getting chased down a couple of times last year?

antonius

Coach
This thread, and that link have to be bullsh!t, sorry to the guy who posted it but I don't believe him or the link. If it were true it would be all over the Newcastle paper, and Radio/TV. Nothing, not a peep. The media have links to all the overseas media outlets, they would've published something by now. I think we take take it that nothing has been signed yet. That's not to say it wont happen, I just don't believe it has yet.

Dont some of the crusade deal with the head of the marketing div for the knights?

Why dont they just give him a call to clarify?

Cheers.

antonius

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
Dont some of the crusade deal with the head of the marketing div for the knights?

Cheers.
Really there's no need to, until you see or hear something in our media I think you can safely say there is no deal done yet.

I guess, but like many I am getting tired of these so called scoops....

Isnt there something in the forum guidelines about not being allowed to state things as fact without a source due to legality?

Ah well all good.

RABK

Referee
The Devil said:
As i said he has explosive speed, but can be caught. He is a fast bloke but not the quickest in comp. The true speedsters will be able to catch him in a footrace i.e Bowen, Slate, Geyer as i've said before

Over 40m he's right up there i agree, as i stated in my previous post, but he slows considerably once he reaches the 60m mark... and i'm judgin that against his speed in the first 40.

Everyone slows down, it's becasue there is a fullback lining up to smash them. They can't just run as fast as they can. Milton always has support players, he slows to draw the fullback then pops the pass. Once he makes a break he never just runs flat out and tries to steamroll the fullback.

Over 100 metres he'd be caugh if it was a foot race...but anywhere between 40-80 metres he'd have too much of a start for nearly all players in the NRL.

Look at his break vs the dragons, over 60 metres Cooper couldn't get near him. His solo 40 metre try vs the dogs was something special too.

The Devil

Bench
I remember he's been run down by Bowen after about 40 or 50m and that was either this or last season, not too sure. Granted though Bowen is one of the quickest guys in the NRL

His try against the bulldogs was special, no doubting that but to be fair (i'm a bit sketchy on the details) he burst through between Grimaldi and a prop (asotasi or o'meley?) which he's extremely good at and the changewd direction to beat a couple of more forwards in Mason(?) and Andrew Ryan who attempted a ankle tap. That try was scored from about 40m out, which i've said before, where he is one of the quickest around.

Once again taking nothing away from Milton, i reckon he's our best strike player outside of Joey and Bedsy

TooheysNew

Coach
Sir Knight82 said:
I guess, but like many I am getting tired of these so called scoops....

Isnt there something in the forum guidelines about not being allowed to state things as fact without a source due to legality?

Ah well all good.
There's a source there. I think everyone understands the 'validity' of the claims. At the moment its still a rumour.

Its different if the topic under discussion is something like a drug scandal or an off-field incident.

Sir Knight82 said:

Because thats the marketing division. What would that achieve? Give us a 'scoop' on the latest sponsorship options?

Misanthrope

Staff member
Because thats the marketing division. What would that achieve? Give us a 'scoop' on the latest sponsorship options?

Damn straight. Those Newcastle Knights g-strings are heaven.

Jono078

Referee
Man I cant wait for Thaiday to come back..

I remember last year when he got ran down by Toopi, not sure how quick Toopi is over the 100 tbh though.

PrideKnight

Bench
Sir Knight82 said:

Cheers.

Mainly coz even if Ross did tell me, i wouldnt pass the info along, that would kinda breach the bonds of trust a little, like tony said, until the official word comes down, this is what we've got

aqua_duck

Coach
Jono078 said:
Man I cant wait for Thaiday to come back..

I remember last year when he got ran down by Toopi, not sure how quick Toopi is over the 100 tbh though.
Toopi would be quick but nowhere near the top bracket

Johns Magic

Referee
The Devil said:
I remember he's been run down by Bowen after about 40 or 50m and that was either this or last season, not too sure. Granted though Bowen is one of the quickest guys in the NRL

Watch Origin 3(?) last year and see how easily Bowen chased down Minichiello, it was astounding. There's no shame in getting caught by him.

Ben

Bench
Toopis isn't very fast at all. If my memory serves me correctly, i think a couple of years ago, Toopi could not chase Abraham down when he ran away to score a eighty metre try.

Anyway, if Gidley had signed for St Helens Danny Weidler would be all over it...:roll: