What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

El Diablo

Post Whore
http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...feleti-mateo-out/story-e6frexnr-1225821760073

* By Christian Nicolussi
* January 21, 2010 12:00AM

STAR Eels playmaker Feleti Mateo is steeling himself for the harsh reality he may be forced out of the Parramatta club due to salary cap pressures.

Mateo, 25, was a key member of Daniel Anderson's 17-man squad that stormed into the NRL Grand Final last season.

While he is determined to make 2010 a personal breakthrough season, he says he also knows the clock may be ticking on his time at the club.

With young gun Daniel Mortimer, Krisnan Inu and Luke Burt, among others, off contract at the end of this season, the Eels know they have some tough decisions ahead of them.

"I'm a local boy and want to stay here at Parramatta. But I also know there's a lot of talent and salary-cap issues. Whether they can fit me in is another thing," Mateo said yesterday. "I want to stay, but I also understand if they can't keep me."

Eels supremo Paul Osborne said last night he had told Mateo he was wanted beyond this season.

"Feleti's a Parramatta junior, a Parramatta supporter and his family are big fans of the club, so we're determined to keep him," Osborne said.

'But we know there is interest from other clubs."

The Bulldogs and Warriors have both been linked to Mateo - one of the NRL's most exciting players at his best - but he said he was only focused on "going one better with Parra" this season and winning an overdue NRL title.

El Diablo

Post Whore
Eels supremo Paul Osborne said last night he had told Mateo he was wanted beyond this season.

"Feleti's a Parramatta junior, a Parramatta supporter and his family are big fans of the club, so we're determined to keep him," Osborne said.

so why the stupid headline from the DT :fist:

lucablight

First Grade
This better be BS. He should be the first player to be re-signed along with Fui. I remember Daniel Anderson saying he wanted to re-sign him on the BSB as well.

eels4lyf

They will keep him, Anderson can be quoted as saying he wants a big year from him, he is giving him extra responsibility and he wants him to play alot of minutes starting the game.

Take that as you will, but i have full faith and respect for ozzie and DA, knowing they have the club's best interest at heart.

Craig Johnston

First Grade
this will probably give the alarmists another reason to believe another player will leave before this season starts :roll:

bartman

Immortal
The DT articles are a wankfest. Column fillers.

They seem to know they can ring Osborne on a daily basis for a quote about wanting to keep some player or other, and then they turn it into a story...

I kind of wish our club hadn't let those slimebag journos in the doors last year? All of these stories in the press can't be doing morale any good... they should really pull the plug on Josh and his mates soon, or just not answer that big red phone on the desk for a while.

1 Eyed TEZZA

Coach
I know we say that about alot of players, but Mateo is someone who I would really like to keep. He is a once in a life time sort of player. Players like Mortimer and Burt will come again, guys with the skills of Mateo, nup rare. A must keep....at a reasonable price.

TheRam

Coach
  • By Christian Nicolussi
  • January 21, 2010 12:00AM
STAR Eels playmaker Feleti Mateo is steeling himself for the harsh reality he may be forced out of the Parramatta club due to salary cap pressures.

Mateo, 25, was a key member of Daniel Anderson's 17-man squad that stormed into the NRL Grand Final last season.

While he is determined to make 2010 a personal breakthrough season, he says he also knows the clock may be ticking on his time at the club.

With young gun Daniel Mortimer, Krisnan Inu and Luke Burt, among others, off contract at the end of this season, the Eels know they have some tough decisions ahead of them.

"I'm a local boy and want to stay here at Parramatta. But I also know there's a lot of talent and salary-cap issues. Whether they can fit me in is another thing," Mateo said yesterday. "I want to stay, but I also understand if they can't keep me."

'But we know there is interest from other clubs."

The Bulldogs and Warriors have both been linked to Mateo - one of the NRL's most exciting players at his best - but he said he was only focused on "going one better with Parra" this season and winning an overdue NRL title.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...feleti-mateo-out/story-e6frexnr-1225821760073

Stagger eel

Staff member
tinfoil.jpg

ROGUE

Juniors
i totally agree with you tezza, he's rare talent and there's no other forward in the nrl that quite plays like feleti who provides us with that real x factor when he's fit.We seem to be getting more press again from the tele which seems to be sh*t stirring

Latest posts