What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Salary cap forcing Feleti Mateo out

fanaticeel

Juniors
Fui and Caylo are off contract so if we do not manage to sign them, (Fui -> UK, Caylo -> Retires), we will need to go prop hunting.

Otherwise it leaves us with a pack of

13. Chad What??
12. Smith
11. Hindy
10. Poore
9, MK
8. Mannah

14. KK
15. Shack
16. ??
17. ??

Assuming FFMM is on $250K-$300K, I would say there would be close to $700K to go after a prop. Well two if we can't resign FFMM.

Because come SOO or injury time to Poore, we'd be really screwed.

Mateo? Written him off have you?:crazy:

Glenn

First Grade
Another slow news day for the Daily Terror..don't you just love the off season.:lol:

84 Baby

Referee
The problem is there are only 3 big name props coming off contract this year. Price, Petero (both older than Cayless and probably demand more) and Weyman (one good season so far). 2012 has far more choice in available quality props

Stagger eel

Staff member
the only reason he is on $400K is because his contract was back ended. If he re-signs it will probably be around $250-300K. Even if he re-signs for the same money it will be less than $400K.

yep, he definitely won't be on the 400 bracket that he's getting this year if he stays on OR there could be a sweetner for Caylo if he hands some of that back and then signs a 2 year extension which will definitely end his career at the club similar to what Hindy is doing.

yy_cheng

Coach
i think the point he was making that THIS YEAR, his salary is taking $400k of cap space. We all know that TODAY, he is not worth that much.

If we don't resign him, that $400K is free for someone else.

If we do resign him, for mine $200-$250K, the we'd still have some dosh left over to sign a above Mannah Class player. (Which I think we surely need)

Snoochies

First Grade
If you look at the article now, it even has a pole asking where do you think Feliti will be play THIS Season??

And apparently, there are quite alot of people who think he'll be at the Bulldogs THIS Season!

parra pete

Referee
well on this occasion I aplogise to Massoud, but as far as I'm concerned they're all tard with the same brush.

Don't include Nick Walshaw in that lot. He is by far the best Sports writer at the Tele..but he doesn't do general news items. Nick is on holidays till the end of February..

parra pete

Referee
If you look at the article now, it even has a pole asking where do you think Feliti will be play THIS Season??

And apparently, there are quite alot of people who think he'll be at the Bulldogs THIS Season!

I wouldn't poke a stick at the results....

84 Baby

Referee
i think the point he was making that THIS YEAR, his salary is taking $400k of cap space. We all know that TODAY, he is not worth that much.

If we don't resign him, that $400K is free for someone else.

If we do resign him, for mine $200-$250K, the we'd still have some dosh left over to sign a above Mannah Class player. (Which I think we surely need)
Yeah unless Cayless has a change of contract this season then in 2011 the completion of his contract will open up $400k of space

84 Baby

Referee
why would he have a change of contract this season?
Someone mentioned it above that he could do what Hindy did - say he agrees to play on for 2011 & 2012 for $200k a season then instead of paying him $400k this year, we pay him $300k this year then $250k in 2011 & 2012. We could then go to Tahu and give him the freed up $100k this year then cut his 2011 & 2012 salaries by $50k each

84 Baby

Referee
Someone mentioned it above that he could do what Hindy did - say he agrees to play on for 2011 & 2012 for $200k a season then instead of paying him $400k this year, we pay him $300k this year then $250k in 2011 & 2012. We could then go to Tahu and give him the freed up $100k this year then cut his 2011 & 2012 salaries by $50k each
ok not a great example seeing how there's no net gain. So change Tahu to Reddy. We give him the extra $100k this year, then deduct $100k from his salary next year - which we can use in resigning Mateo

yy_cheng

Coach
BTW when Hindy did that, does he get paid the interest that he lost when his pay is deferred?

jk13

First Grade
if we don't go one further this year, i reckon alot of those off contract will want to stick around one more year to have another shot with this team. at the moment you can just feel the love