What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

Chief_Chujo

First Grade
Sunrise said the deal will make burgess the highest paid player in the game. Pinch of salt and all but he won't be cheap in any case. South's will need to shift some talent for this not to stink to high heaven.

adamkungl

Immortal
Twice in two years he breaks a contract, yet neither of them had the quality of SBW's walkout

SBW > Burgess

:lol:

honestly how do they fit 1.5M under the cap when they would have had to upgrade players since winning the comp..

the changes to third party deals can't come soon enough.

Also why bother with a player who has no loyalty to anything but the dollar. The sooner rugby league moves on from these type players the better.

Haha you're kidding yourself. Rugby League fans are so petty

Rabbits20

Immortal
We'll see how things pan out.

I'm very excited to see him back. If we lose Dylan Walker that'll put a dent in my confidence.

Confident about top 8, not so much if we can go farther. Like others said 2014 can't exactly be recreated, but we can sure as hell try.

That's right.

I'm confident of top 8.

Not confident of top 4 though.

You never know though. The boys will give it their best R95.

LeedsRhinos

Juniors
honestly how do they fit 1.5M under the cap when they would have had to upgrade players since winning the comp..

Also why bother with a player who has no loyalty to anything but the dollar. The sooner rugby league moves on from these type players the better.

People like you are the reason why League is and always will be a minority sport :lol:

In your little world him wanting to leave to play in a RWC would mean he's never welcome back despite being probably the main reason Souths won their first grand final in 43 years, talk about backward thinking, yeah he wanted to leave but Burgess did even more for Souths than they ever did for him, he was one of the main reasons their entire culture turned around.

Rabbits20

Immortal

Sam is loyal to Souths.

You have no idea.

Rabbits20

Immortal
People like you are the reason why League is and always will be a minority sport :lol:

In your little world him wanting to leave to play in a RWC would mean he's never welcome back despite being probably the main reason Souths won their first grand final in 43 years, talk about backward thinking, yeah he wanted to leave but Burgess did even more for Souths than they ever did for him, he was one of the main reasons their entire culture turned around.

Well said.

bfoord

Juniors
Sam is loyal to Souths.

You have no idea.

So Loyal to them that he didn't even complete his last contract with them so he could take up a big offer to play union in England ...

thats not the definition of loyalty ... just saying.

chigurh

I hear ya man.

Dont worry that Cap auditor that denied my team a perfectly good back ended contract for Falau to return to the NRL is no longer in his job, thank f**k for that.

Loosing Falau to Rugby was a debacle all of Mr Shuberts making.

Stopping Folau from signing from with Parra was one of the most disgraceful fu**ups the game has ever come up with.

big hit!

Bench
Burgess played several union tests in just his first year playing the code.

Hardly a failure.

He reached the top of the tree in English union in just 1 year.

Was capped too soon, and in the wrong position.

Played well for Bath as a flanker, but wasn't 3 or 4 of the best in England at that position. You'd think it was stipulated in his contract that he MUST be at the World Cup, so they shoe horned him into the midfield. That role is a bit different to what he was doing at Bath, and also, what he was used to in rugby league. A lot more space and pace to deal with as an inside centre in rugby than a middle forward in League or flanker in rugby.

Still, we South Sydney fans will gladly take him back. Personally, I'm concerned about the reported salary though. No player is worth that much under the current salary cap.

Nice Beaver

First Grade
Welp, that puts Souffs back in the frame for the 8. I love how they can get Burgess but we can't get Te'o and Parra can't get Folau.

:lol:

A. If you are trying to put T'eo in the same class as Burgess and Folau you are on crack.

B. If (and that's if) the NRL had a hand in getting Burgess back, why on earth would they have anything to do with T'eo? Is the code better as a whole for having him back? Not likely.

The Folau thing was a stuff up well and truly I will give you that.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Wonder what his actual salary cap amount is? Regardless it's a good news story for RL and a black eye for RU so all good!

Perth Red

Post Whore
Sam is loyal to his wallet.

You have no idea.

True but sbw laid the way and we just have to live with the fact that money talks, rather than hate on it get on the front foot with it and use it to lure the best players of any code to NRL. I'm sure his experience of the RUWC wasn't what he thought it would be and was also a factor.

Latest posts