What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sam Burgess returns to South Sydney

Vic Mackey

Referee
All shit aside I am stoked he's back in the NRL, even if it strengthens souths. I just hope the NRL isn't going to allow souths leniency with the cap in bringing him back. As long as it's an even playing field for everyone.

magpie4ever

First Grade
Given burgesses fame at the moment you'd think third parties would be lined up to use his image. I suspect Souths would be paying him less than half of the $1.5mill on the salary cap

Like the league superstar who couldn't cut it in that soft-c**k game of rugby union.

He was found out, just like when Slater palmed him off in the RL World Cup a few years ago.

DiegoNT

First Grade
Saw this one on Facebook

What's the difference between sam burgess and Whitney Houston?
Sam got outta bath

Pretty sure I'm going to hell for sharing that one

Penrose Warrior

First Grade
I'm going to be the biased souths fan here and try explain how souths can fit him in.
There was always speculation sam might come back after a year, souths always had contingencies in place in case he didn't make the world cup squad. Souths lost 2 high earning players in luke and glenn Stewart and didn't have any players coming in. There were some upgraded contracts though. After it was made clear that burgess was going to be selected for England, souths were heavily linked to both robbie Farah and taupau. Until about 3 weeks ago souths were a good chance of landing taupau. When burgess looked to be having problems with union, we picked up the much cheaper cook (who despite a handful of breakout performances after lichaa's injury, is still a nsw cup hooker) instead of farah (thank god), and dropped out of the race to sign taupau. That still doesn't get souths all the way, mcqueen looks set for Titans freeing up a couple hundred grand in the cap, and grant (who despite his form is on good money) will free up some more.
The loyalty thing is crap. If he was loyal he would of stayed at Souths. But his coming back now so all will be forgiven

This is a rare post, a fan who includes 'there were upgraded contracts' in regards to a signing discussion. That got my attention. And all that makes perfect sense. You'll have to drop two pretty good contracts, I didn't think Grant would be on anything more than peanuts but you'd know better than me. McQueen would have renegotiated his contract as an Origin player so that makes sense. And hey if you lose Grant/McQueen to get Burgess, you sign on the dotted line laughing.

I'm glad he's back in the NRL too, the more superstars in our game the better. I had hoped Souths would be a bottom 8 side though, not likely now.

Danish

Referee
Glad to have the big man back in the game. People will complain about how Souffs are fitting him in and all that jazz but I couldn't give a shit if it came out the NRL were paying his entire contract outside the cap.

Any system which results in guys like Burgess, Hayne, Folau, and SBW having to chase money in other sports is a bad one. Any system that results in attracting these guys back to the code is a good one.

Its probably not fair that Souths can get assistance getting him back, but providing the NRL would also assist Parra getting Hayne, the bulldogs getting SBW (originally), the Dragons getting Gaz, the Knights keeping Johns back in the day, etc then I am happy. All clubs in the league have developed a superstar at one stage or another, so it will all balance out eventually.

The NRL should also take it a step further and allow club developed players (say someone that has been on the booked since their youngest rep sides like SG Ball and Harold Matthews) to have big financial benefits for staying with the same club at all times.

Incorrect

Coach
Given burgesses fame at the moment you'd think third parties would be lined up to use his image. I suspect Souths would be paying him less than half of the $1.5mill on the salary cap

Yes I would think Yo-Yo and Boomerang manufacturer's would be clamouring for his manager's number right now to get him as the new face of their products...

DiegoNT

First Grade
This is a rare post, a fan who includes 'there were upgraded contracts' in regards to a signing discussion. That got my attention. And all that makes perfect sense. You'll have to drop two pretty good contracts, I didn't think Grant would be on anything more than peanuts but you'd know better than me. McQueen would have renegotiated his contract as an Origin player so that makes sense. And hey if you lose Grant/McQueen to get Burgess, you sign on the dotted line laughing.

I'm glad he's back in the NRL too, the more superstars in our game the better. I had hoped Souths would be a bottom 8 side though, not likely now.

Tim grant, if some sports sites are to be believed, is on 350k a season at the rabbitohs. Souths signed him early in 2014 when he was still in first grade at panthers and it was still 18 months or so since he played origin. Between now and then he has had almost a season in panthers reserve grade, and an up and down season with us and it's now been 3 and a half seasons since he played origin. I can see how'd you'd think he is on peanuts.
If Souths could get parramatta to take him for 150k-200k (fair price for him i reckon) then that's 150k-200k cap room cleared up (we'd still have to pay out the remainder of his contract, on our cap, essentially paying a couple hundred grand for a player at another club, but it'd be worth it to fit in sam).

rabbitohs95

Bench
100% agree with what you said Diego. That seems to be the situation at the moment.

No doubt we'll release a few players, but I still think we have a bit of free cash that will contribute to that. So long as we don't lose Dylan Walker I think we're in for a decent shot this year, if everything goes well.

Perth Red

Post Whore
Does this now give England RL the best pack in tne world and will it give them a chance in the RLWC?

8. Graham/T.Burgess
9. Hodgson/Roby
10. G.Burgess/Hill
11. O'loughlin
12. Whitehead
13. S. Burgess

fourplay

Juniors
He's looking very foolish right now. He goes for 1 year, fails, and crawls back with his tail between his legs. So predictable.

LOL @ him trying to play midfield like SBW. He doesn't have that versatility.

I think it is a stretch to call it an all out failure. It's like a rugby union player switching to league and in his first season is in the Kangaroo's starting team.

Matrix

Juniors

Grant is still on his $600-650k contract from penrith for the first 2 years at souths but I believe penrith pay around $250-300k for the first 2 years and souths pay the rest ,some penrith fans on here may know the exact figure.McQueens last contract upgrade was alleged to be around $350k a year after his origin selection and with guys like Turner and Carter being much cheaper and doing a similar job I guess McQueen would be most likely to leave.Sutton to uk could be outside chance too,imo.

Latest posts