What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sandow

His defense was still very poor at times today.

Easy to overlook when he's attacking so well, but shouldn't be ignored.

He'll need a lot of work in this area.

Also, what was with him standing over Boyd like a complete f**kwit when he tackled him in-goal?
Even the referee had to tell him to get away.
Still can't stand the fact that we will have someone so unlikable playing for us next year.

Also, what was with him standing over Boyd like a complete f**kwit when he tackled him in-goal?
Still can't stand the fact that we will have someone so unlikable playing for us next year.

They had him defending Matt Cooper. Even established centres look like shit defending Matt Cooper, let alone midget halfbacks.

Also, i think you'll find more people dislike Jarryd Hayne than Sandow.

No offence mate but you seriously need some new material, you've milked the morts joke for more than it was ever worth.

I'm interested to find out which player he idolizes next, first it was Billy "The Next Immortal" Rogers and now it's Mortimer. Exciting times ahead!

I wouldn't. Hayne is better than Thurston.

Not at the moment he's not (not literally this moment because Thurston's injured, but then I'm sure you know what I mean).

Haynes in late 2009 was better than Thurston at any time (better than pretty much anybody at any time save for a select few maybe), but at the moment he's just doing what he can in a below average side.

They had him defending Matt Cooper. Even established centres look like shit defending Matt Cooper, let alone midget halfbacks.

Also, i think you'll find more people dislike Jarryd Hayne than Sandow.

I'd take that bet about Hayne, I reckon. :D

Sure Cooper is a top centre. No denying that. He's made plenty of players look foolish before.
But the fact that he's a midget halfback doesn't excuse his defensive flaws.
Sandow will come up against lots of very good centres and second rowers and will have to work on his defensive reading and technique if we are to stop him leaking points.

Probably seems like I'm deathriding the bloke, but I'm not (well I am for this year...not next year).
I know I don't like the bloke at all, but he will be playing for my team next year so I will be supporting him.
I'm just really hoping that he can fix these major issues in his game when he begins playing for us.

I agree, rather I would agree if I were joking, but I'm serious, bring back Mors.

It's come to the point that I'm agreeing with you on this.
I actually saw slight improvement in Morts this year (only slight, but it was there).
Robson has only gone backwards.....and he wasn't that great to begin with.
Maguire has just been hopeless when playing in the halves.

jono

Juniors
He's a strong little bugger when he gets his timing and positioning right.
Like when he rolled the ball into the saints in-goal and just aimed up at Boyd and bounced him back behind the tryline.

IFR33K

Coach
Theres been a lot of negativity in regard to the Sandow signing, but at the end of the day he is a genuine halfback.

I wasnt overly excited when we signed him, due to his grubiness, but we have seen what a defensive halfback can do (which is bugger all), 2012 we'll see what an attacking one can do.

The eels have lacked a genuine Halfback for over 20 years, cant wait to watch them play with 1 in the team.

bartman

Immortal
I mustn't be reading the right threads, or maybe I've skipped over the negative posts... I haven't seen much negativity about Sandow's signing at all?

No-one's really been crying out for us to go into 2012 with Morts and Robson and Maguire as our first choice halves anyway. So with at least two of those guys leaving you'd think any signing is a good signing?

I'd take that bet about Hayne, I reckon. :D

Sure Cooper is a top centre. No denying that. He's made plenty of players look foolish before.
But the fact that he's a midget halfback doesn't excuse his defensive flaws.
Sandow will come up against lots of very good centres and second rowers and will have to work on his defensive reading and technique if we are to stop him leaking points.

Probably seems like I'm deathriding the bloke, but I'm not (well I am for this year...not next year).
I know I don't like the bloke at all, but he will be playing for my team next year so I will be supporting him.
I'm just really hoping that he can fix these major issues in his game when he begins playing for us.

He's definitely poor in defense, but you don't see other poor defenders like Prince or Lockyer get in the same positions he gets in. I think they could do a better job of hiding him in defense then they already are.

I used to hate him, he was up their with Ennis as one of my most hated players, but this year after watching him more and realizing he will be with us next year he has grown on me. He's got massive passion for the game, if the only thing he brings to the team next year is that sort of attitude we will be better for it, that's without considering the goal kicking, 40/20s, running game and short kicking.

CrazyEel

Bench
Sorry but I just don't see his defence as an issue. Sandow's defence is no worse than Thurston, Prince, Marshal, Walsh or Sowards. Can even point to games where that great defender Robson had some very bad misses which cost us games.

Thurston and Marshall's defense has improved over the last couple of years.
Soward has improved slightly, but is mostly hidden very well next to Scott.

He certainly brings things to our side that we have been seriously lacking for years - all I'm saying is that I hope we can improve him where we can.....especially defense.

Maybe we can get the merkinness out of him too.

Last edited:

IFR33K

Coach
Sorry but I just don't see his defence as an issue. Sandow's defence is no worse than Thurston, Prince, Marshal, Walsh or Sowards. Can even point to games where that great defender Robson had some very bad misses which cost us games.

Very true. Soward would have to be the worst defender out of that lot. His defensive play doesnt get mentioned much, because he is hidden so well.

Eelementary

Post Whore

His defense needs to improve, true - but we can cover for that well, I think.

As for his being unlikable - I love it. I, for one, think we need that sort of player; a bloke who guys love having in the team but opponents hate playing against. A Michael Ennis, if you will.

Maroubra Eel

Coach
I don't want us to get the grubbiness or merkinness out of Sandow.
Actually I reckon it's what we've been missing. We've got too many mr nice guys.

Eelementary

Post Whore

The 2009 Grand Final is one.