What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save Leichhardt Oval - www.stoptherot.org

Good luck with the campaign, Leichhardt is one of my favorite grounds. Unfortunately with Campbelltown games and double headers Saints haven't played there in some three years.

However wtf is up with this quote?

Leichhardt is the last true suburban Rugby League Ground in the NRL and it's fate is in our hands…..

There's still Kogarah Jubilee!!!

innsaneink

Referee
Hybrid tiger said:
nospam49 wrote:
Its its not f---ed....then why does it need upgraded?

Someones a real smartarse arent they?

I'm guessing your new to RL and are one of those "cretins" insaneink pointed out who have grown up watching football in soul-less concrete stadiums and wouldnt have any idea whatsoever of passion or atmosphere.

Thanks Hybrid....couldnt have put it better myself.
Yes unfortunately LF was foremost in my mind when I made the "cretin" remark....
And I seem to recall seeing ??Roger cowan/Penrith Boss?? asking for even more money from the Govt for further upgrades to Penrith "Stadium", as recently as late last year.
But i suppose LF's logic is that they won the comp therefore they deserve to have their ground upgraded

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We break the ground record what....3 times in 2003. We set a ground record and were forced to cut back how many people could enter the stadium because it started to get so packed in it was dangerous.

You compare that to 3 men and a Dog watching Wests run around....parts of the ground tapped off (Like anyone would need to go near them with so much free seating around!) and a team thats gone no where since it was formed! :lol:

Still, you have to love the spirit. When most sane people would see that time has passed Leichhardt Oval by, you can still find idiots that want money poured into it.

Maybe they can get the old style picket fences around the ground....and for old times sake, drop a cricket pich in there. A coat of paint is all its need.....and about $75,000,000...a decent football team and some fans that actually tunr up to games! :lol:

As for the "Soul-less concrete stadium"....Tigers fans wouldnt realise it....but when your clubs involved in a Grand Final....those type of Stadiums cant be beaten! :lol:

Choppies

Coach
we can get 21,000 Bandwagons PACKED into penriths Stadium

sry couldnt resist :lol:

but onto the point about Leichhardt I love the ground and even though I follow the Roosters I have a Tigers Leichhardt season ticket (as well as my Roosters one of course)

I find it a great place to go and watch footy with your mates and Id hate for it to go

CC_Eagle

First Grade
nospam49 said:

We break the ground record what....3 times in 2003. We set a ground record and were forced to cut back how many people could enter the stadium because it started to get so packed in it was dangerous.

You compare that to 3 men and a Dog watching Wests run around....parts of the ground tapped off (Like anyone would need to go near them with so much free seating around!) and a team thats gone no where since it was formed! :lol:

Still, you have to love the spirit. When most sane people would see that time has passed Leichhardt Oval by, you can still find idiots that want money poured into it.

Maybe they can get the old style picket fences around the ground....and for old times sake, drop a cricket pich in there. A coat of paint is all its need.....and about $75,000,000...a decent football team and some fans that actually tunr up to games! :lol:

As for the "Soul-less concrete stadium"....Tigers fans wouldnt realise it....but when your clubs involved in a Grand Final....those type of Stadiums cant be beaten! :lol:

you're a f**king moron, stop talking before you embarass yourself even more. We all know Penrith won the comp, its their turn for a high. Don't you worry they'll be cellar dwellars again in a few years. I'm making my Leichhardt debut tomorrow and am looking forward to it. All the Manly supporters I know say Leichhardt is the best rugby league venue apart form Brookie. It'll probably be the only game I wont be screaming abuse at opposition players as Wests are probably my "2nd team" (Was the Magpies). Personally I'd rather watch junior league at a real rugby league venue like Brookvale,Leichhardt,Redfern etc than a non-Manly game at either Aussie or Telstra Stadium, or any other of the ugly concrete giants. Good luck to Wests & Manly by 10+ ;-)

choppies....come on. Your Roosters are the gold standard for the bandwagon! :lol:

CC_Eagle, I wouldnt take advice on grounds from anyone that thinks Brookie is the best ground to watch League at! :lol:

Choppies

Coach
but its true Freak :lol:
at least your bandwagons have a clue what footy is
ours are Teenyboppers who love Wingy :evil:

choppies said:

Have you been to Penrith Football Stadium? Is like bloody highschool all over again with all the kids running around the place.

Bloody teenage mothers! :lol:

Choppies

Coach
nospam49 said:
choppies said:

Have you been to Penrith Football Stadium? Is like bloody highschool all over again with all the kids running around the place.

Bloody teenage mothers! :lol:

Every time I go to Penrith FS a story always comes out of it
Like last year at the Roosters v panthers game the yobbo who was telling me that the Roosters would lose and then when the Roosters were leading by 20 points he was saying the scoreboard was stuffed

and yes those teenage mothers are all over the place :lol:

just go to Penrith Plaza any day of the week :lol:

DIEHARD

----
I remember I was at the 2002 Bunnies v Wests game, got a record crowd of 16,700 and something. It was one of the most enjoyable rugby league games that I have attended. I'd like to see Leichhardt get an upgrade.

The Bunnies should stay at the SFS and forget about any return to Refern, it would be a step backwards.

I think fans should not only improve going to matches but we need a massive increase in away support in Sydney. It can't be that hard to drive across the city to support your club.

Choppies

Coach
Diehard said:
I remember I was at the 2002 Bunnies v Wests game, got a record crowd of 16,700 and something. It was one of the most enjoyable rugby league games that I have attended. I'd like to see Leichhardt get an upgrade.

The Bunnies should stay at the SFS and forget about any return to Refern, it would be a step backwards.

I think fans should not only improve going to matches but we need a massive increase in away support in Sydney. It can't be that hard to drive across the city to support your club.

yeh I was at that game

and I go to as many games as I can cause I love the game
I go all over NSW to see my team play and even QLD once
I would rather go to the game than see it on TV

DIEHARD

----
I'm like that also. I wish I lived in Sydney, up here in Brisbane there is only a Broncos game every fortnight. I go to the QRL games to make up. I miss going to Crusher and Charger games, I hope the NRL give the OK to a Gold Coast club.

I love going to Sydney and just going all over to see matches. They definately need a "BE THERE" sort of promotion like they had in the late 80s. More crowd participation, chants, giant beach balls, banner competitions. On TV they need to show a lot more of the crowds.

At Lang Park they have banned flags that are bigger than the itty bitty ones they sell at their merchandise stalls, they will take your flag off you if you try to walk in with a custom made one you brought from Sydney. And they have banned the Mexican wave and replaced it with a "wall of sound", which you...basically...just...er...yell...in a circle... Pathetic... It's lame, Lang Park was build on the best fan support and it's a disgrace with what they have done. The place is as dead as a morgue. And the Gabba must kill Lang Park for atmosphere outside of Origin (Where the real RL fans come out).

AFL have abandoned their suburban grounds with success. But I don't think we need to. I like Leichhardt and had a great time there and can't wait to get back. Maybe we should let teams stay at their grounds, Brooky, Kogarah, Leichhardt etc. Spend the bucks to get them up to standard. And if these teams get success and draw the crowds we can relocate key matches to bigger stadiums. Special match of the rounds.

We don't want to see massive hi tech stadiums empty and we don't want to see these fantastic suburban grounds buried either.

Southernsaint

Staff member
To all the Tigers fans, the very best of luck with the mission to save Leichhardt Oval. It's an atmospheric place to watch footy, something I've been denied the chance to do the last few years because of thte bloody Double Headers.

R2K fought the tough fight for Jubilee Oval, and the job's still not finished, but it feels so good to be at your spiritual home.

There's not much tribalism left in footy with stuff like stupid away jumpers & shot-gun weddings but places like Kogarah, Leichhardt & Brookvale represent the last link with it - we should keep it. I think it was Brian Smith who said 16,000 Tigers fans roaring at Leichhardt was like 50,000 at the Olympic Stadium.

Good luck with your fight.

Cheers,
Ben S.

simon says

First Grade
I think there is a place for the modern and the old grounds in todays game.Its funny to hear people say Leichhardt is aa crap ground cos I think its the best.Leichhardt,Brookie and Kogarah are the best grounds for atmosphere in the comp.Any ground without a hill just cannot compete for vibe.

Keep yer monoliths for yer 40-80k crowds,they have their place for that.....
But hotdogs,beer,20k fans right on top of the action,you cannot beat Leichhardt.If ya dont believe me go there and find out,or watch the game on FOX.You will see for yourself.

On the job itself,they really dont ahve to do too much.Knock down the two stands at teh end and upgrade the dunnies on the hill side.That surely wouldnt cost too much and you would fit more people in there.Those old stands only house about 500 anyway....
Anyway good luck for the upgrades.Imsure you will egt plenty of signatures from REAL footy fans.
Cheers.

Once Dead

Bench
nospam49 said:

Yawn, you are a joker - remember those lean years out at Penrith? 1 championship win doesn't make a dynasty nor credibility

hybrid_tiger

Coach
Almost 15 000 at Leichhardt this afternoon.

Not bad for an area which doesnt support their team anymore... :shock:

Once Dead

Bench
hybrid_tiger said:
Almost 15 000 at Leichhardt this afternoon.

Not bad for an area which doesnt support their team anymore... :shock:

Don't forget the atmosphere......the way it came across on tv would have only been 1/10th of what it was in actually being there......like to see you get that atmosphere in those soul-less stadiums

Frailty

First Grade
nospam49.... You are a dead set goose, and I'm talking on the same level as Gould. Are you saying we should not put any money into anything thats old? So we should destroy any heritage items in our society? We will cut down any reserves that recieve money for replanting or sustainability?

Don't look at it as a Football item, but a heritage site to the community there. My grandad used to play for the tigers, and I was always interested in the stories he would say about the Oval. If he was alive today he would be disgusted a debate is even goin on about this.

I am a sharks supporter, which is really one of the newer clubs (not new but not old '67) and I would hate to see any old ground be let down on and moved to SFS or Telstra Stadium. I was glad to see the Dragons fix Jubilee. And guess what nospam49, they weren't winning, but they got gov't money to fix it.