What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Save Leichhardt Oval - www.stoptherot.org

DIEHARD

----
With keeping most patches at local grounds with a capacity of 18,000-20,000 we satisfy the need to cater for good crowds. If any blockbusters do come around we can relocate games to the SFS. That way we always maximise crowds and maximise the experience. I think it would be a bad move to move teams to the SFS and have small crowds in a big stadium.

innsaneink

Referee
Manly fans today would know what were talking about and why were trying to get it upgraded.....while the result didnt go their way today Im sure most Manly fans wouldve had a great day at Leichhardt today, beautiful weather, 15000 comfortably watching a good game of footy.
Its like a trip back in time, when footy was just footy, not sponsorship and corporate crap.......not many places left you can expereince this.
If your teams lucky enough to be playing Wests at Leichhardt take the tip and go.....its different in a good way.

Kid

Juniors
Impellitteri said:
nospam49 said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

We break the ground record what....3 times in 2003. We set a ground record and were forced to cut back how many people could enter the stadium because it started to get so packed in it was dangerous.

You compare that to 3 men and a Dog watching Wests run around....parts of the ground tapped off (Like anyone would need to go near them with so much free seating around!) and a team thats gone no where since it was formed! :lol:

Still, you have to love the spirit. When most sane people would see that time has passed Leichhardt Oval by, you can still find idiots that want money poured into it.

Maybe they can get the old style picket fences around the ground....and for old times sake, drop a cricket pich in there. A coat of paint is all its need.....and about $75,000,000...a decent football team and some fans that actually tunr up to games! :lol:

As for the "Soul-less concrete stadium"....Tigers fans wouldnt realise it....but when your clubs involved in a Grand Final....those type of Stadiums cant be beaten! :lol:

Yawn, you are a joker - remember those lean years out at Penrith? 1 championship win doesn't make a dynasty nor credibility
Didn't the Panthers win the spoon before the premiership? One thing the Tiges have never done :p

Kid

Juniors
nospam49 said:
Upgrading Leichhardt Oval is up there with the Newtown Jets coming back and South Sydney playing a Redfern Oval! :lol:
Parra, and Penrith and even the now defunct North Sydney Bears have had upgrades helped by the State Government. Why is Leichardt any different? It took the Panthers 24 years to win their 1st premiership and 36 years to win 2, in that time i can never recall anyone saying bugger Penrith let them rot, who cares about their ground. I also know in the "dark" days for Penrith you would have been lucky to get the dog to the game, still everyone doesn't mind the Panthers. Give you a premiership and look out!!!! Panthers now own the league :? Next you will want a Super League so you don't lose any players to Rep footy.

The fans proved today, they will support their team when they are at home. You speak of 21,000 going to Penrith, well the record is 22,000 or 23,000 at Leichardt with people turned away. No different to your beloved Panthers, and no it didn't occur way back in 1948. Just worry about the Panthers freak, leave the other clubs to worry about themselves.

The Whippet

Juniors
Leichhardt is full of so many old memories and is truly one of the more 'historical' NRL grounds.

Don't you want to be able to one day show your children and grandchildren where the Balmain and Wests Tigers played.

Nothing beats a Sunday afternoon at the lovely Leichhardt Oval but without sufficent funding this ground will become delapadated like Redfern Oval has and the Wests Tigers may end up playing at a venue like Telstra Stadium, Sydney Showground or even Parramatta Stadium.

Get behind this great cause and do your bit to help the expansion of rugby league code in our quest to become the number one code in Australia. This grounds future lies in your hands, and yes you can do something by signing this petition.

Lynchie

Juniors
I love Leichhardt oval! I'm a Canberra supporter but that has to be the most enjoyable ground I have been to out of all the sydney grounds.
It is simple, has great tradition and history and really makes me appreciate the game considering that the corporate world is making the real rugby league experience less enjoyable for me now.
The place is awsome. Its got a great hill, located in a neighbourhood street and has a few houses overlooking it.
I will always support this ground and would love to see it survive in the NRL but as long as the tradition continues and it is not made all modern looking.
I will be filling out a petition and spreading the word alright!

CC_Eagle

First Grade
innsaneink said:
Manly fans today would know what were talking about and why were trying to get it upgraded.....while the result didnt go their way today Im sure most Manly fans wouldve had a great day at Leichhardt today, beautiful weather, 15000 comfortably watching a good game of footy.
Its like a trip back in time, when footy was just footy, not sponsorship and corporate crap.......not many places left you can expereince this.
If your teams lucky enough to be playing Wests at Leichhardt take the tip and go.....its different in a good way.

Gutted with the result. But the day as a whole was great. First trip to Leichardt and it won't be my last. Great footy ground. And by footy I mean "footy" that has nothing to do with f**king sponsor stadiums etc. Even from where I was (with the rest of the Rockers in the Nth East corner) which was behind the posts, which is usually not the best place to sit, but it was pretty good. I didn't get a chance to sign the petition, is there an online version?

Red Bear

Referee
North Sydney Oval is still the Nicest ground around :) Never been to Leichhardt oval but am all for supporting the upgrade therecos suburban grounds are excellent. Kid, North Sydney arent defunct, we just dont field a team in first grade at the moment(Central Coast Bears in 2006 ;-) )

JK

I don't support the use of State money on an NRL ground that realistically has no further benefit for the community. Let the Wests Tigers and NRL rebuild it.

WIN & Newcastle are exceptions to this as they provides utility to a regional community.

westie

Bench
JK said:
I don't support the use of State money on an NRL ground that realistically has no further benefit for the community. Let the Wests Tigers and NRL rebuild it.

WIN & Newcastle are exceptions to this as they provides utility to a regional community.

The whole point is that they want to get the community more involved.

Trollhammaren

Juniors
Great to see so many non-Tigers supporters appreciate Leichhardt oval (besides that Penrith fvckwit). It is by far my favourite ground, so much more atmosphere than Stadium Australia or whatever, and I think the results at Leichhardt over the years will show the Tigers perform better there. All my greatest footy experiences have been at Leichhardt and similiar intimate footy grounds. They are good for the game, and like someone suggested if they eventually need bigger stadiums for a particular game, then they can move it.

The game today was great, not as much atmosphere as there has been in the past, but it was so much more enjoyable than going to the SFS or Homebush. We need the traditional grounds!!!

DIEHARD

----
Perfect timing for a good game and crowd for Leichhardt eh? Just when we were having this debate. Good stuff Wests Tigers! :D

Mighty Tiger

Bench
nospam49 said:
We break the ground record what....3 times in 2003. We set a ground record and were forced to cut back how many people could enter the stadium because it started to get so packed in it was dangerous.

Yeah thats right how long did it take you to record that capacity crowd and please enlighten us on how good your crowds where in 2002 :roll: :roll:

nospam49 said:
You compare that to 3 men and a Dog watching Wests run around....parts of the ground tapped off (Like anyone would need to go near them with so much free seating around!) and a team thats gone no where since it was formed! :lol:

I must of been blind or something because I couldn't see any standing room against Manly yet again a flawed argument :roll: :roll:

nospam49 said:
Still, you have to love the spirit. When most sane people would see that time has passed Leichhardt Oval by, you can still find idiots that want money poured into it.

Yeah well I guess its just like you wanting to spend more money on you new TV to watch games from, because its obvious that you don't attend them :roll:

nospam49 said:
Maybe they can get the old style picket fences around the ground....and for old times sake, drop a cricket pich in there. A coat of paint is all its need.....and about $75,000,000...a decent football team and some fans that actually tunr up to games! :lol:

Yeah thats right I forgot the 2 hills at Penrith and a total capacity of what 80k ???, 70k ???, 60k???, 50k???, 40k??? what about even 30k??? no thats right its a capacity of just over 21k and to mention it is a word class venue on its own :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

nospam49 said:
As for the "Soul-less concrete stadium"....Tigers fans wouldnt realise it....but when your clubs involved in a Grand Final....those type of Stadiums cant be beaten! :lol:

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I gather you have forgotten that the club you support the "Panthers" that your home ground in fact does have 2 hills on it :lol: :lol: :lol: I guess that means your due for a renovation as it would appear by your logic that your ground infact isn't a modern ground after all :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

MEE

Juniors
Went to Leichart for the first time yesterday. Definatley my favourite ground behind Brooky now.

Saint 60

Juniors
hmmm i went to Leichhardt oval during the KB cup - the Amco Cup and maybe it was called the levis cup lol
i spent every Wednesday night there when i was a kid :)

Callen Park is being vacated slowly --- the Govt is planning to move it to the back of Concord hosp..all those buildings in the back of the Hosp are slowly being vacated..to make room for the ppl at Callen Park.

The Ground at Callen park will eventually be sold......

sorry i didnt read the rest of the thread ----
and i dont know if this helps u or not...but they are moving Callen park - and Callen Park is not far from Leichhardt Oval - :twisted:

I was there the night Russell Fairfax broke his leg...it has some dam fine history thats for sure. :?