What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

woodgers

Bench
What, you are forced to buy crap just for the sake of it?

That is ridiculous. What if there is no one on the market you want and haven't used up the allocated amount?

If this is the case then I suggest we buy Ben Walker who is unwanted as Souths and get him washing cars and wiping down gym equipment.

I very hopefull for 2008, but then again at the start of this year everyone was saying "can't wait for 2007!". Every year, we just can't wait to the year after, but then nothing good comes when the time arrives.

At least we will have a new coach, but geez, 2007 is going to be a terrible one IMO.

woodgers said:

That is ridiculous. What if there is no one on the market you want and haven't used up the allocated amount?

If this is the case then I suggest we buy Ben Walker who is unwanted as Souths and get him washing cars and wiping down gym equipment.

Yeah the NRL stipluated that all clubs must use 75% i.e $3million every year on players.

Looks like Purtell and Kahler are going to be driving round in new Beamers

skeepe

Immortal
waltzing Meninga said:
I very hopefull for 2008, but then again at the start of this year everyone was saying "can't wait for 2007!". Every year, we just can't wait to the year after, but then nothing good comes when the time arrives.

At least we will have a new coach, but geez, 2007 is going to be a terrible one IMO.

Oh how I wish I had your optimism :roll:

Walt Flanigan

Referee
woodgers said:

Yeah we have Manly to thank for that.

woodgers

Bench
waltzing Meninga said:

It'll be alright mate. You are just going to have to sit tight and watch them grow together. I believe they will play better footy anyway. So many of our young guys have gotten heaps better this year, add Miller to that and we are looking quite formidable. You will see losses and them throw away the odd one but at least you will see us moving towards something. We won't be trekking out to Bruce to watch Brad Drew throwing balls into row Z and wondering where we are heading!

I'm more excited about 07 then I have been in ages. Have faith mate, I finally think we are onto something.

thickos

First Grade
woodgers said:

That's a good question. Let's assume we lose Schif but get Nate Myles... with a bit of loose change rolling around there is still the salaries of Smith, Woolford, Hodgo, Ale etc to account for (assuming Mogg and Best will be on similar money).

Only thing I can think of is guys that have re-signed this year (Chalk, Purtell, Howell, Jones, Weyman) have been upgraded... but surely, SURELY not by that much!

Walt Flanigan

Referee
One thing to be positive about next year is that we've got forwards like Weyman, TLL and Thurling who have only played a handfull of games and look outstanding. We've also got the Zill-man to look forward to and Carney should improve out of sight with Smith gone.

Chachi

Bench
We still need to cover the player losses and IMO if there are some quality younger "gambles" out there like Samau and Anderson you'd be silly not to take them...just like it would be silly to buy players just for the sake of it. Sign any player on their merit I say.

2007 certainly does look to be a good recruiting year for us. Not too many "high profile" players off contract, only Dobbo, Herbie, Lomu (WTF is his situation anyway?), Hinchcliffe and Frawley spring to mind. If we restructure our current contracts to front-load payments with excess funds this year we could be an active player in the market next year - whatever the hell that means anyway.

And the best thing is - NO MORE JUNE 30 DEADLINE! This is the best thing to happen to our club in ages IMO. It means we don't have to fly players in over July which is clearly the most miserable month in Canberra. Get them here in spring or even autumn and I'm sure we'll get a much more favourable response.

Kilkenny

Coach
The rumours about the Queensland Reds could be a smokescreen.

Heard a rumour today he is going to announce he is the first Raider to follow Elliot to the Panthers for 2007. The announcement will be made on Friday?

He will be the Panthers 5/8 in 2007.

Stuart

Juniors
thickos said:
That's a good question. Let's assume we lose Schif but get Nate Myles... with a bit of loose change rolling around there is still the salaries of Smith, Woolford, Hodgo, Ale etc to account for (assuming Mogg and Best will be on similar money).

Only thing I can think of is guys that have re-signed this year (Chalk, Purtell, Howell, Jones, Weyman) have been upgraded... but surely, SURELY not by that much!

Im pretty sure you can still weight contracts ie pay more at the start or end of the contract etc, they ust got rid of the really dodgy stuff like being able to use un-used this years cap space to pay next years signings etc

If we dont sign anyone we just pay Purtell, Howell, Chalk etc huge ammounts in 2007 and very little in '08, freeing up money to make some big signings...

Kilkenny

Coach
raiders fan forever said:
where did you hear that rumour kilkenny?

Admittedly not one of my more reliable sources, but none the less a mate of mine who has a relative in the Panthers lower grades claims the Panthers have weighed in at the last minute. Only repeating what he told me at lunch today and I am sceptical. Matt Elliot would not compromise the remainder of the Raiders 2006 season even if he would want him with him at the Panthers next season.

jed

First Grade
Kilkenny said:
The rumours about the Queensland Reds could be a smokescreen.

Heard a rumour today he is going to announce he is the first Raider to follow Elliot to the Panthers for 2007. The announcement will be made on Friday?

He will be the Panthers 5/8 in 2007.
Kilkenny said:
Admittedly not one of my more reliable sources, but none the less a mate of mine who has a relative in the Panthers lower grades claims the Panthers have weighed in at the last minute. Only repeating what he told me at lunch today and I am sceptical. Matt Elliot would not compromise the remainder of the Raiders 2006 season even if he would want him with him at the Panthers next season.
So it was a mate's cousin or something? Well my mate's sister's boyfriend's old schoolmate says that the Panthers rumour is a smokescreen, as is the Qld Reds.

Don't tell anyone, but the real story is that Schif's actually leaving Australia altogether, and will be joining NASA as the first Rugby League player ever to go to the international space station, testing the effects of weightlessness on kicking goals.

Walt Flanigan

Referee
Yeah well my sources tell me that the reason management have been so quiet on the market is because we're ironing out a deal to sign Tiger Woods and Pat Rafter as our new halves combo for 2007. A master stroke IMO. There's also word of Furner travelling back in time to sway Don Bradmans hand to play fullback. Who needs Schif.

thickos

First Grade
Walt Flanigan said:
Yeah well my sources tell me that the reason management have been so quiet on the market is because we're ironing out a deal to sign Tiger Woods and Pat Rafter as our new halves combo for 2007. A master stroke IMO. There's also word of Furner travelling back in time to sway Don Bradmans hand to play fullback. Who needs Schif.

Maybe it's early but this made me laugh hard :lol:

dubby

Bench
The fact that ABC radio broadcasted today that Shif signed with the Reds proves Kilkenny has been drinking too much Guiness and has NO IDEA what the hell he' on about.

Shif a 5/8 over Preston Campbell???

You stupid nong.:roll:

legend

Coach
Preston Campbell is going to the Gold Coast Dubby. I'da say Michael Monaghan will be heading out to Penrith to replace Preston.

dubby

Bench
legend said:
Preston Campbell is going to the Gold Coast Dubby. I'da say Michael Monaghan will be heading out to Penrith to replace Preston.

:oops:

Oops! My bad...

I think Mock Monas is heading to the Cowboys actually.