What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Schiff IS Goonski

aussies1st

Staff member
At last we are in the market for buying someone. Haven't seen our team pop up when it comes to possible movements for players.

woodgers

Bench
I've been silent throughout this whole thing.

I'm neither this way or that. I realise that people are angry that he will possibly go back on his word to the public. I also realise that he said that at a time when he thought the Union deal was gone, so obviously this Manager had poorly informed him at the time or jumped the gun. Schif also jumped the gun in making the statement when the deal was still potentially on. He knew the Reds were seeking the 3rd party top up so it was a mistake.

If he leaves then I will be sad to see him go. He has given great service to this club and is the best defensive fullback we have witnessed here at the Raiders. He can be damaging with the ball but to be honest, that has deminished dramatically over the past few years, with only the odd sparkle of brilliance here and there. All in all he has been a fantastic servant to the club and one that i'll remember fondly.

......but I look at this with excitement. I sent Boing and Ultra an email weeks ago when this first came out saying exactly that. We are clearing out the old and starting afresh. Players like Zillman have no choice but to step up. We are forced to play a young team together and build. Sure, we might have some poor results and lose some tight ones in the process of getting there, but at least we will be BUILDING towards something and have the nucleaus of young guys playing together that have the potential to win the GF. When is the last time you could say that? 2003 we could have perhaps jagged the GF but previously to that it has been years.

People harp on and on about experience but every week these guys are gaining experience. They are getting better and I have confidence that we have some of the most talented rookies in the NRL. To be honest, experience rather than footballing ability has appeared to cost us this year. Lets not forget that players like Tongue, Withers, Graham, Thommo have plenty of games under their belts. Enough to see us through anyway.

Sometimes things like this are for the best. I'm looking out the front windscreen rather than the rear view mirror here. Lets just get over the fact that Schif is most likely leaving and be happy that he stuck with us through one of the roughest periods in our clubs history. Lets enjoy watching him for the rest of the year and wish him the best knowing that good things and hopefully happy times are to come. I know I am.

legend

Coach
Schifcofske explained yesterday he thought the deal had been withdrawn and admitted he had spoken prematurely.

So what, all that means is he is waiting for something better to come along and he is using the Raiders as his last option if other negotiations fall through. Hardly the person I want as captain.

legend

Coach
woodgers said:
I've been silent throughout this whole thing.

I'm neither this way or that. I realise that people are angry that he will possibly go back on his word to the public. I also realise that he said that at a time when he thought the Union deal was gone, so obviously this Manager had poorly informed him at the time or jumped the gun. Schif also jumped the gun in making the statement when the deal was still potentially on. He knew the Reds were seeking the 3rd party top up so it was a mistake.

If he leaves then I will be sad to see him go. He has given great service to this club and is the best defensive fullback we have witnessed here at the Raiders. He can be damaging with the ball but to be honest, that has deminished dramatically over the past few years, with only the odd sparkle of brilliance here and there. All in all he has been a fantastic servant to the club and one that i'll remember fondly.

......but I look at this with excitement. I sent Boing and Ultra an email weeks ago when this first came out saying exactly that. We are clearing out the old and starting afresh. Players like Zillman have no choice but to step up. We are forced to play a young team together and build. Sure, we might have some poor results and lose some tight ones in the process of getting there, but at least we will be BUILDING towards something and have the nucleaus of young guys playing together that have the potential to win the GF. When is the last time you could say that? 2003 we could have perhaps jagged the GF but previously to that it has been years.

People harp on and on about experience but every week these guys are gaining experience. They are getting better and I have confidence that we have some of the most talented rookies in the NRL. To be honest, experience rather than footballing ability has appeared to cost us this year. Lets not forget that players like Tongue, Withers, Graham, Thommo have plenty of games under their belts. Enough to see us through anyway.

Sometimes things like this are for the best. I'm looking out the front windscreen rather than the rear view mirror here. Lets just get over the fact that Schif is most likely leaving and be happy that he stuck with us through one of the roughest periods in our clubs history. Lets enjoy watching him for the rest of the year and wish him the best knowing that good things and hopefully happy times are to come. I know I am.

I agree mate and I would have wished him the best if he had done this ethically and with integrity, which he most certainly has not.

I get the impression he can't get out of Canberra quick enough and it's at the very bottom of his list of destinations to play next year. For that sentiment to come from the current captain leaves me with no doubt about his feelings towards the club and the fans and for that I'm pissed off with him.

IMO, he is not worthy to continue as captain and I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they released him now. Once we are out of the finals race he should be dropped to make way for players who want to be here next year and beyond.

woodgers

Bench
legend said:
I agree mate and I would have wished him the best if he had done this ethically and with integrity, which he most certainly has not.

I get the impression he can't get out of Canberra quick enough and it's at the very bottom of his list of destinations to play next year. For that sentiment to come from the current captain leaves me with no doubt about his feelings towards the club and the fans and for that I'm pissed off with him.

IMO, he is not worthy to continue as captain and I wouldn't bat an eyelid if they released him now. Once we are out of the finals race he should be dropped to make way for players who want to be here next year and beyond.

Once again, I see where you are coming from.

I don't think he wants to get out of here quick enough though. If it wasn't QLD and back near his family then I doubt he would leave. I believe him when he says that is important to him. It is important to you, it is important to me, it is important to all of us.

I say we keep him on as captain and play out the year with him regardless. I say this because he is still respected by the team regardless of him moving on. Sure, he made a mistake and allowed the public and fans to be deceived, however we can't say the club has never screwed him over either. In addition to that, he has put in years of service that must have cost him countless Origin jumpers and perhaps even a international jersey.

Lime_Green

Juniors
woodgers said:
Once again, I see where you are coming from.

I don't think he wants to get out of here quick enough though. If it wasn't QLD and back near his family then I doubt he would leave. I believe him when he says that is important to him. It is important to you, it is important to me, it is important to all of us.

If he was so keen to move back to QLD (his family don't live in Brisbane BTW, though his wife's might) why take on the captaincy this year, and why become the face of Canberra? :?

I find his actions mind boggling.

I guess the reality was he'd had enough of Canberra but the lure of the $340K was too much for him so he signed on to stay. Now that there's someone willing to pay a similar amount for him to live in QLD he's off like a shot.

It's all fair enough, but it's hardly the loyalty you expect from a captain.

I wish he'd just p*ss off so we were sure we had the $$ and could offer Nate Myles a hefty wage.

legend

Coach
What's done is done and he will be measured moreso by the way he left the club than his achievements on it.

My two favourite sports stars are Laurie Daley and John Elway. Both stayed with the one club their entire career and went out on their terms with the respect of not only their teams fans, but that of all associated with their sport.

Schifcofske will never be in that class because the way he handled his departure showed a distinct lack of class.

That's all I have to say on this issue.

Boing Boing

Juniors
legend said:
What's done is done and he will be measured moreso by the way he left the club than his achievements on it.

My two favourite sports stars are Laurie Daley and John Elway. Both stayed with the one club their entire career and went out on their terms with the respect of not only their teams fans, but that of all associated with their sport.

Schifcofske will never be in that class because the way he handled his departure showed a distinct lack of class.

That's all I have to say on this issue.

Well, Schif has played for three clubs now and I don't know if you've noticed, but he hasn't left yet. In fact, he hasn't said anything since his column in the paper. The only people who have stated confidence in him moving are Eddie Jones and Gillis. Schif has been completely impartial so far.

woodgers

Bench
Lime_Green said:
If he was so keen to move back to QLD (his family don't live in Brisbane BTW, though his wife's might) why take on the captaincy this year, and why become the face of Canberra? :?

I find his actions mind boggling.

I guess the reality was he'd had enough of Canberra but the lure of the $340K was too much for him so he signed on to stay. Now that there's someone willing to pay a similar amount for him to live in QLD he's off like a shot.

It's all fair enough, but it's hardly the loyalty you expect from a captain.

I wish he'd just p*ss off so we were sure we had the $$ and could offer Nate Myles a hefty wage.

Well he took on the captaincy believing he was staying.

He wasn't to know that the Reds were ever to be interested in his services, this is a new revelation. At the start of the year he was mainly being talked about in ESL transfers.

He was offered a similar amount to live back home, closer to his family where his kids can see their grandparents rather than -6 Canberra which happens to be 800kms away from his family, I can see how he took it! I'm not sure where the logic falls apart in that equation?

And Nate Myles ain't that good. Everyone is talking him up because I believe, he is in a transfer market with not much on offer. I'd prefer to keep the money and go with the forwards we have to be honest. I wouldn't pay him anything above $250K a year, and that won't be close to getting him. Origin 2is the only game I have seen him shine. It is easy to look good with your fellow forwards belting the living tripe out of the oppositions

legend

Coach
Boing Boing said:
Well, Schif has played for three clubs now and I don't know if you've noticed, but he hasn't left yet. In fact, he hasn't said anything since his column in the paper. The only people who have stated confidence in him moving are Eddie Jones and Gillis. Schif has been completely impartial so far.

And I've got a block of land right in the middle of the harbour you may be interested in...

Lime_Green

Juniors
The point is that if you're not 100% committed to your team than you probably shouldn't accept the role of captain.

Choc has viewed the captaincy as a notch on his belt, a line on his resume rather than as opportunity to be an integral part of this club and to leave a legacy.

I should state that I had misgivings about him becoming captain at the start of the year on this basis. It was apparent that he didn't seem that committed to the club even back then. Just because someone is a highly skilled player does not mean they will make a good captain. Choc always seemed a bit reluctant to me and was clearly feeling his way into the role (until that winning field goal).

I'd rather the captain be a strong, reliable, loyal type than a flashy, career driven bloke like Choc.

But that is very much just my opinion, and I respect that other people have a different take on the matter.

legend

Coach
I never said you were wrong but I do believe you are being quite naive thinking he has been impartial and may stay with the Raiders.

jed

First Grade
I think we're unlikely to keep him, but I'm more than happy to be proven wrong. But Boing is correct, since the article in the paper, everything I've seen or heard from him is to say that he's still undecided, it's everyone else that's put words in his mouth.

Chachi

Bench
At the end of the day he knows the timing of this has shafted the club with which he has publically stated a passion for. I also agree with Woodgers' assessment of Myles and have stated elsewhere that anything much over $250 for him is ridiculous. I'm more pissed off about losing the opportunity to sign guys like Cooper and Webster, but maybe that was never an option anyway (even with the Schif money).

I'd really like to know how much we're under the cap by if Schif leaves. Colin Best does not quite equal Woolford, Schifcofski, Hodgson, Smith and maybe Ale and Croker. We definitely need to sign a few more players (even just to make up the numbers!), but our only real option at this stage is to go with a stack of more promising youngsters and hope we jag another Learoyd Lahrs, Thurling or Tilse.

Boing Boing

Juniors
legend said:
I never said you were wrong but I do believe you are being quite naive thinking he has been impartial and may stay with the Raiders.

And you're not naive in your belief that he is already signed away with no chance of staying?

Latest posts