What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Scott Hill update - SMH 6/7/06

ParraDude_Jay

First Grade
Eelementary said:
I reckon signing him would be very smart.

You could initially play him at 5/8, and maybe have Green come off the bench. At that point, you move Hill to lock.

Once Green is settled at 5/8, you move Hill to lock. You now have two quality halves in Smith and Green, and a ball-playing lock in Hill. Plus you have Marsh and Riddell at dummy-half. In essence - a myriad of attacking options.

I like the idea but that leaves us with a bench of:

14. Marsh
15. Green
16. Vella
17. Lowrie

Very small bench and our fowards are struggling now, I doubt we could use that bench. Personally, I'd like to start Smith and Hill in the halves at the start of 2007, and during the year when one is unavavilable, then bring Green in and see how he goes.

I think people are putting too much faith in Green to be our five-eighth. He'd be playing outside a halfback who isn't ready to lead the team without help, and Green hasn't even been tested in first grade. That's why I think Hill for 2 years is ideal, for both Smith and Green. He'd take the pressure off Tim, and he'd be a good person to help guide Green into first grade. Maybe switch Hill to lock in his second year here and see how Smith/Green go as a regular combination.

The Colonel

Immortal
ParraDude_Jay said:

14. Marsh
15. Green
16. Vella
17. Lowrie

Very small bench and our fowards are struggling now, I doubt we could use that bench. Personally, I'd like to start Smith and Hill in the halves at the start of 2007, and during the year when one is unavavilable, then bring Green in and see how he goes.

I think people are putting too much faith in Green to be our five-eighth. He'd be playing outside a halfback who isn't ready to lead the team without help, and Green hasn't even been tested in first grade. That's why I think Hill for 2 years is ideal, for both Smith and Green. He'd take the pressure off Tim, and he'd be a good person to help guide Green into first grade. Maybe switch Hill to lock in his second year here and see how Smith/Green go as a regular combination.

Sounds good to me...

Bigfella

Coach
like the idea but that leaves us with a bench of:

14. Marsh
15. Green
16. Vella
17. Lowrie

Might be more like

Riddell
Green
Cannings
Lowrie

with PJ starting

That provides plenty of options. I just don't know how a player would cope adjusting to the mindset of going from playmaker to forward in the one game?

Bigfella

Coach
By PJ starting I meant at hooker

So if we can pick up Myles, our starting side may be something like:

Hayne
Inu / Burt
Smith
Tahu
Grothe
Hill
Smith
Wagon
Hindmarsh
Myles
Moi Moi / Vella
Marsh
Cayless /Cordoba

Cannings / Robinson
Lowrie / Taia
Green / Storer
Riddell / Tsoulos

If Delaney and Williams as expected outside back depth will be tested. I would be tempted to pick up the MacDOugall brothers. If all went well and everyone was available and firing develop Adam into an interchange backrower?

I would also be seeking some more forward depth. Of the above listed forwards only Hindmarsh Moi Moi Marsh and Riddell have proven to me to play week in week out to first grade standard over this season. Obviously Myles would do so too, but the others are even unproven at top level or have been injury prone and/or inconsistent. That is the biggest concern looking forward.

Gronk

Staff member
I heard Adam McDougall wanted $250k/year. Thats way too much for a guy who has a reputation at the Bunnies for sitting out more matches than he plays.

His bro goes OK though. I'd take him as backup.

Angry_eel

First Grade
Gronk said:
I heard Adam McDougall wanted $250k/year. Thats way too much for a guy who has a reputation at the Bunnies for sitting out more matches than he plays.

His bro goes OK though. I'd take him as backup.
Souths have serious problems with people underacheiving. can u belive fui and stringer were crap there.

Bigfella

Coach
Well I reckon either would walk into first grade at any club to be honest. Luke more so than Adam.

Point taken about the money and games played though

simostorm

Bench
Hill is on 300k at Melbourne at the moment.
He has a optional 2 years on his contract here if he plays 13 games this season, but he can get out if he wants.
He's playing in very good form and will be front runner for NSW 6 jersey next season.
He's a quality player, got my picture taken with him a couple of weeks ago,
Ive got heaps with him actually. ha!
Im hoping he stays in Melbourne.

Eelementary

Post Whore
ParraDude_Jay said:

14. Marsh
15. Green
16. Vella
17. Lowrie

If it were up to me, Lowrie wouldn't get a game in First Grade for us at all lol.

number8

Juniors
If Williams is gone & we fail to secure any other players I am still pretty impressed with our options. I'm not suggesting this is the best lineup, but I wouldn't be dissapointed if this is the makeup of our team for the most part of 2007. Obviously Hill would be a great option in the halves for his experience but if we are looking at him as a backrower we would be wasting our time. We are more than covered for 11's,12's, & 13 options.

J Hayne / Inu
L Burt / Inu
B Smith / Inu
T Tahu / Inu
E Grothe / Inu
B Green
T Smith
M Riddell
N Hindmarsh
C Robinson
F Moi Moi
P J Marsh
N Cayless

F Mateo / Z Taia
D Wagon / J Cordoba
T Lowrie / W Hauraki
A Cannings / J Tsoulos

I also think Tim, whether his form is up to it or not, will be experienced enough to take on a "Green" Blake next year as a halves partner if that is the only choice we are left with. He played all last season & has experienced both the highs of that time & the lows of this time. He has a heap of experience in that regard. If he can overcome the baggage of his 2006 escapades & form slump he will come out the other side a much better, & more complete player than we saw last year.

Hellsy

Immortal
MELBOURNE five-eighth Scott Hill is set to decide his future within days - and the former international hasn't ruled out staying at the Storm.

Hill, who is considering offers from Parramatta and three Super League clubs, will make his 13th appearance of the season for Melbourne in tomorrow night's top-of-the-table clash with Brisbane in a remarkable turnaround after being dropped to the Storm's North Sydney feeder team just six weeks ago.

More significantly, the game entitles Hill to activate a clause in his contract giving him the option of remaining with the Storm for a further two years.

The club has been grooming teenager Jackson Nicolau, who played five-eighth for Queensland Residents in the curtain-raiser to last night's State of Origin, as Hill's long-term replacement and last week re-signed the Maroons' under-19s representative to a new two-year deal.

But Hill's form since serving a two-week suspension for pushing referee Sean Hampstead and his subsequent banishment to premier league has been good enough to have him considered as the next option to Mark Gasnier for the NSW five-eighth job.

"It seems a while ago now that Scott and I were sitting alone in the dressing room at North Sydney Oval wondering where we went from there," Hill's agent, Brian Satterley, said.

"The big thing was to get to 13 games. Once Scott does that it gives him the option of staying in Melbourne if he wants to."

A member of the Storm's inaugural team in 1998, changes to the NRL salary cap rules next year allowing clubs a $100,000 concession for players with eight years' service rather than 10 mean Hill is eligible for the discount if he remains in Melbourne.

But Satterley said Hill and his wife, Brooke, were also keen to move closer to their families, who live in Forster on the mid-north coast of NSW, as they now have three children under the age of five.

"When Scott went to Melbourne he was single and had no kids," Satterley said.

"It's tough on Brooke because half of the Storm's games are interstate and it generally means Scott's away . . . every second week."

Playing for the Eels would make Hill's family life easier as he would not have to travel outside of Sydney for many away games and would be near family.

However, Satterley said Hill and his wife also liked Melbourne and he was enjoying his football at the Storm again, while the Super League options had not been ruled out.

"The first priority for Scott at the moment is Friday night's game against the Broncos but after that we will sit down and make a decision probably by the end of the weekend or early next week," he said.

"The option with the Storm is his way so there's that to consider and I'm in contact with the Eels virtually every day so he has another option if he wants to stay in Australia, and then there's overseas.

"If Scott was to go to England, most of the teams are close to each other so there's not a great deal of travelling and Brooke has family over there, too, which would make things easier."
http://www.melbournestorm.com.au/default.asp?sec=1&ssec=1&pg=735

V1er

Juniors
He could always come here for 2 years and then head off to ESL, im sure they'd still be interested in him then