What's new
The Front Row Forums

Register a free account today to become a member of the world's largest Rugby League discussion forum! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Sean Long

lockyno1

Post Whore
JJ said:
it parrallels the impact on NSW and Aust cricket if Nathan Hauritz had his right arm amputated

Oi JJ! If that occurred, Australia will miss potentially their best spinner after Warne. It would be a devastating blow for Australian cricket. But that won't happen, so Haurie is improving. As for long, he is crap. A one game wonder.

ParraEelsNRL

Referee
lockyno1 said:
As for long, he is crap. A one game wonder.

Umm, he must only play 1 decent game a year then locky, huh?

Like a GF, or a CC, or a Test match, you frigging drop kick, he has done everything in the Game bar winning a trophy against the Aussies.

You are a fool.

How many great Aussies have played in the CC Final?

Now how many have won 1 mom award?

Now how many has Long won?

idiot.

Maybe if his forwards done the job, he might shine more often.:roll:

lockyno1

Post Whore
Sorry but what has Long done at a International level? He is hopeless. There are better halfbacks availiable for GB!

bartman

Immortal
The BBC one has been fleshed out - sticking their neck out that they're 99% sure it's not gambling.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/rugby_league/international_and_australian/6142442.stm

Long leaves GB Tri-Nations tour

Great Britain's half-back Sean Long has flown home from the tour of Australia and New Zealand - with the reasons for his departure still unclear.

A team statement said Long, whose partner is heavily pregnant, had returned home "for personal reasons".

But the BBC's Dave Woods says there are allegations that Long broke a team alcohol ban on Sunday.

Britain need to avoid defeat against Australia in Brisbane this Saturday to make the Tri-Nations final.

Early reports from Australia claimed that St Helens half-back Long had been accused of gambling on matches in the Tri-Nations series.

But Woods said he was "99%" sure that those allegations were incorrect.

Woods said that Long had been seen inebriated on Sunday, the day after the Lions had been thrashed 34-4 by New Zealand in Wellington.

The Britain squad are currently in a team meeting, with a statement expected at 0830 GMT.

Team officials say that no replacement will be called up for Long, who was outstanding in Britain's 23-12 win over Australia in Sydney last week.

nqboy

First Grade
If it looks like a cover-up, sounds like a cover-up and smells like a cover-up, chances are it's a cover-up.

borntoride

Juniors
You shouldn't assume this is because he has made a bet. The fact England have no replacement though suggests it's something that wasn't foreseen as being a problem.

roopy

Referee
I notice that the news on 10 and ABC both said he was going home but no mention of gambeling at all.
We will know soon what the official story is - but as has already been said - he would have to be a genius to get done for betting on games again - so my bet is that he wouldn't take that gamble.

roopy

Referee
mad kiwi elloco bandido said:
Two puns in one line.:thumb

Intentional?
I didn't think anyone would notice - yes - I am nerd enough to make two puns - just because i was so pleased with the first one.

MKEB...

Staff member
...Kimmorly or Long? Which is the greater evil? A nude model, or an Enid Blyton character Look alike?

Poor ,Poor Sharkies.

innsaneink

Referee
roopy said:
I didn't think anyone would notice - yes - I am nerd enough to make two puns - just because i was so pleased with the first one.

I woulda thrown something about "a long shot" in, just for the trifecta.

Naah...not really.

Gibbo

Juniors
http://sport.guardian.co.uk/rugbyleague/story/0,,1946536,00.html

Long quits Tri-Nations tour

'His wife is about it give birth and it's been weighing on Sean's mind quite heavily'

Staff and agencies
Monday November 13, 2006
Guardian Unlimited

Long's wife is due to give birth. Photograph: Ross Setford/AP

Great Britain scrum-half Sean Long has quit the Tri-Nations tournament to return home for "personal reasons".
Initial reports in Australia had suggested that Long had left because of gambling and drink problems, but this was soon denied by GB coach Brian Noble. "That's completely away from the truth," he said. "There's going to be lots of stories coming out and not coming out. It's for personal reasons.

"It's nothing to do with gambling, nothing to do with other than he has got personal issues. His wife is about it give birth and it's been weighing on Sean's mind quite heavily."

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
I think there is a lot of disrespect being thrown round on these boards. I think personally the hangings should stop until the real reason comes out.

I think the most likely one is something has happened to his wife or the baby, perhaps an emergency situation requiring him to be at home. Hopefully all is well there.

If it is a cover up then its disappointing. But you don't send players home from tours for being drunk on a plane, as it can't have been bad as he wasn't arrested.

This will leave GB in a complete state. Posters above like Ozbash have no clue about Sean Long or his abilities. He is an all time great of the British game, suggesting someone like Rob Burrow is a better player is hilarious. Long has won everything there is to win in the British game as pointed out in the excellent post by parraeels.

Fairleigh Good!

Juniors
Daniel Anderson, Sean's club coach says:

"When a person says personal reasons, just about everyone seems to try and scratch around the surface because they don't believe it,"

"But I am totally supportive of him. If we were not to support him and he has got genuine personal reasons -as he has - then I think this club would be condemned"

"I'm certainly supportive of him in his decision and his reasoning"

"There isn't any scandal."​

Kurt Angle

First Grade
Fairleigh Good! said:
Posters above like Ozbash have no clue about Sean Long or his abilities.

Remove "Sean Long or his abilities" and replace it with "Everything"... and you pretty much sum up Ozbash correctly.

griff

Bench
Even if it was "for personal reasons" what kind of softie leaves half way through a series representing his country?